Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Driving a stick

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 03:24 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by The_Lizard
I first learned to drive a stick in a 1969 Renault 16 with 4 on the column. I learned to drive an unsynchronized transmission on various tractors, while working as a groundskeeper at some colleges.

But for the sake of turning the converstion to another direction, does anybody else ever make this mistake in an automatic: Start from a stop, let the engine run up in first gear, then lift off the gas and JAM the brake like it's a clutch?
Close- I'm usually fortunate enough to simply slam my foot on the firewall instead of the brake.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:33 AM

Car Info: 2003 wrx
wrxgoose.. no dealer will warranty a clutch its a wearable item.. only way they warranty it is if the clutch breaks due to a mechanical fault.. if u got it replaced fopr free good for you but dont expect them to ever do that again.. and 1300 miles.. on a clutch?? jesus man u need to get a diff car to practice in..
Old 07-18-2003, 05:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
What i would do is go to a driving school and ask if anyone was a mechanic so they would tell you if you were developing anything that might in the end harm your transmission. I think maybe someone at a local garage could show you if you got a rental car.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:58 AM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
yea i agree with everyone else, learn driving stick in a rental or some cheapo car cause you dont want little or big screw ups or any stalling in ur new STi. once u learn in another car, your STi will be waiting for you and u will be so happy! =)

Quick Reply: Driving a stick