Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Drifting in an AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 08:27 PM

Car Info: 99' WRX
thanks brotha!
Old 12-18-2003, 07:26 PM

i find the WRX to be pretty predictable when drifting(mine is totally stock) the car is very user friendly, it doesnt suddenly lose traction (like S2000s, but that is another story).
I love to slide my car around corners. i started out in a ford taurus with the e brake in parking lots. then i moved up to using weight transfer to rotate the car. if you are pretty comfortable with sliding your WRX at slow speeds try finding a on or off ramp for a highway that is pretty wide and take it a little faster then normal and when in the turn let off the gas and see if it starts sliding around. if not try going a little faster or try flicking the steering wheel into the turn and if the doesnt work tap the brake a little to move the weight up the the front.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:33 PM

for me it seems like the minimum speed to slid my WRX on dry pavement without the e brake is about 40-45mph. drifting as all about weight transfer. you need to get the weight off the back tires so they lose traction. you can do this by lifting off the gas of tapping the brake. only use the e brake at slower speeds or you are likely to spin. if you start to oversteer( where the car is rotating more then the amount you are turning the steering wheel) you can give it gas so that the weight is moved to the back of the car giving it more traction. real rally drivers steer the car in the turns with the gas and brake.