Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

(cost-efficient to mod) WRX to match EVO VIII?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 02:51 AM
VIP Member

Like everyone here said, it is impossible to make an wrx into an evo with the budget that you give us. It would take about 10 to make it on par or a little bit better than the evo.

Hey Imperfection, how did you afford a sti at 16?
Old 06-25-2004, 07:47 AM

Car Info: 04 Java Black WRX
Well thanks for the replies guys (and gals if there were any), I appreciate the input. At the time I purchased my car an EVO VIII or STi were out of the question as I simply couldn't put together enough money to afford it. As it was I had to use about $10k that I had saved during the year I spent in Iraq to afford the WRX, I had trouble getting a good loan as my credit history ain't too spectacular. I am looking at another deployment to Iraq here soon and wanted to do some good stuff to my car when I got home. Maybe I should save up some money and grab up a used '04 STi or '05 STi when I get home.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:00 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX (Black)
As for picking up a used STi... good luck..

just for the hell of it check this out....

http://www.rallyperformance.com/STIhunter.shtml

It's not an EVO or even the STi but sure is interesting........

-K
Old 06-25-2004, 04:12 PM

Car Info: 04 Java Black WRX
funny enough I was looking at that earlier today
Old 06-29-2004, 01:05 AM

Car Info: 04 STi blk cloaked team blew member
I have a few of those videos myself they are great however the STi/s are JDM specific it would be interesting to see the U.S. version on the track with the rest of them it would certainly beat them off the line, my guess would be no JDM STI or EVO VIII would catch it.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:31 PM

Car Info: 05 Black w/ Gold STi
Originally Posted by numbr17
The STi is quite a bit more-- I checked with my insurance co.
it was only $20 more a month for me to insure the STi from the WRX. ($140/mo vs $120/mo) course even the WRX rate is a little high but i'm a 23 year old single male. hopefully once i move into my house the rate will go down a bit for having the homeowners and looking more "responsible" for having a house.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:55 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I want to know how IMPerfection can afford the car and insurance.
Sounds like wealthy parents. =\

Wish I had an STi when I was 16... Hell, I've had my WRX for just over 3 months, 9,800 miles and I really want to drive an STi to see if that is what i'll buy in a few years. =\
Old 07-04-2004, 02:11 AM

Car Info: Its a gross polluter : (
I dont know if this may help but me and my friend, an EVO owner, went head to head. The outcome was him pulling little by little, and at the end him being a few feet in front of me. He was bone stock while i ran catless, reflashed ecu, cold air intake, and BOV. This was i guess a quatermile race. So its possible to pull ahead on a stock evo on a 5k budget, but other than that like handling and stoping you need alot more money.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:35 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by GDB-EJ20
I dont know if this may help but me and my friend, an EVO owner, went head to head. The outcome was him pulling little by little, and at the end him being a few feet in front of me. He was bone stock while i ran catless, reflashed ecu, cold air intake, and BOV. This was i guess a quatermile race. So its possible to pull ahead on a stock evo on a 5k budget, but other than that like handling and stoping you need alot more money.
Yeah that is possible but the longer you would have run the farther he would have gotten away until his limiter shut him down. True you can stay close in a straight line for a short while but if you would have done a overall comparsion test it would have been no contest. 5K you could pull ahead with NOS and a bigger turbo but how long will your motor last.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:27 AM

Car Info: WRX
Might wanna check out the Vishnu packages. From what I gathered on their site you should be able to meet the power of a stock Evo8 with a Stage 1 WRX upgrade from Vishnu.

reflashed ECU
main power pulley
catless up-pipe
turbo-back exhaust (I guess their's comes with a cat, dunno)

$2345

Sources:
Evo info:
http://www.vishnutuning.com/lancer.htm
WRX info:
http://www.vishnutuning.com/stage.htm

I've got all of the exhaust upgrades and the Vishnu XEDE ECU add-on, I'd like to to see something around 8.8 in the 1/8 mile; might need to shell out for that pulley.

Heck, if you really wanna spend $5000 then get their Stage 2 package, save on labor by installing it yourself. You should definitely be faster than an Evo with those upgrades.

Last edited by djoye; 07-04-2004 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:19 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by djoye
Might wanna check out the Vishnu packages. From what I gathered on their site you should be able to meet the power of a stock Evo8 with a Stage 1 WRX upgrade from Vishnu.

reflashed ECU
main power pulley
catless up-pipe
turbo-back exhaust (I guess their's comes with a cat, dunno)

$2345

Sources:
Evo info:
http://www.vishnutuning.com/lancer.htm
WRX info:
http://www.vishnutuning.com/stage.htm

I've got all of the exhaust upgrades and the Vishnu XEDE ECU add-on, I'd like to to see something around 8.8 in the 1/8 mile; might need to shell out for that pulley.

Heck, if you really wanna spend $5000 then get their Stage 2 package, save on labor by installing it yourself. You should definitely be faster than an Evo with those upgrades.
Forget it a good friend of mine has a vishnu tuned WRX and it will not out run my Sti. I wouldn't spend my money on that Oh I did ! I had an ESX stage 4 with reflash, injectors & Flywheel brembos GT. It made 1 more HP that a brand new obviously not broken in STi but the STi TQ could not be touched! then I drove a STi with a CAI Ingen and Catback and there was no contest. Don't waste your money like I did just drive your car until you can trade it in and get an "STI" or evo ,Although these topics are fun you are not going to out perform either without big money then if one of those cars does little mods you will see taillights again Think about it
Old 07-06-2004, 10:48 AM

Car Info: black 02 wrx
Food for thought..

Having bought an 02 before the STI/EVO came out, I had to take a hard look at what my options were going to be..

Dollar for dollar not worth it.. but with a few dollars you can bring up the potential of your impreza to a much more fun and exciting level..

Since you mention handling, I am going to assume you want to track the car.. Enjoy the progressive upgrade approach ( I did a STI Hunter Package sorta) and I am having a lot of fun..

I am at a point where I have almost stop caring about equalling an STI or EVO in those departments.. My focus and yours should be on Learning to Drive the hell out of your WRX.. Then, when your skills have gotten that good, that your lapping within .001 or less of a second.. Then take the plunge..

You would be surprised what some good driving can do with regard to beating up some better cars.. Personnally I think with that approach you won't break your wallet, learn to drive via on of the local clubs, and appreciate a better platform when the time comes..

You won't win every race but you will enjoy yourself and not break the bank..

Alex

My .02 cents..
Old 07-07-2004, 06:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Loaf
Food for thought..

Having bought an 02 before the STI/EVO came out, I had to take a hard look at what my options were going to be..

Dollar for dollar not worth it.. but with a few dollars you can bring up the potential of your impreza to a much more fun and exciting level..

Since you mention handling, I am going to assume you want to track the car.. Enjoy the progressive upgrade approach ( I did a STI Hunter Package sorta) and I am having a lot of fun..

I am at a point where I have almost stop caring about equalling an STI or EVO in those departments.. My focus and yours should be on Learning to Drive the hell out of your WRX.. Then, when your skills have gotten that good, that your lapping within .001 or less of a second.. Then take the plunge..

You would be surprised what some good driving can do with regard to beating up some better cars.. Personnally I think with that approach you won't break your wallet, learn to drive via on of the local clubs, and appreciate a better platform when the time comes..

You won't win every race but you will enjoy yourself and not break the bank..

Alex

My .02 cents..
Very well said!

Quick Reply: (cost-efficient to mod) WRX to match EVO VIII?