Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

clutchless shifting? (was: Sounds fishy)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 02:02 AM
MCV

Car Info: MY00 RS
Sounds fishy

I was just wondering if this was true or not. My friends cousin told him that in MT cars u can shift without pushing down the clutch if u do it right, u have to know what rpm to shift from gear to gear and if done correctly it doesnt hurt ur car. Sounded like a lie to me but he says professionals do that.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:18 AM

Car Info: '99 2.5rs - Rally Blue
you can do it. but its not that hard to press the clutch. just do it and you dont have to worry about breaking anything
________
FORD FIVE HUNDRED PICTURE

Last edited by svek; 02-20-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:35 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by MCV
My friends cousin told him that in MT cars u can shift without pushing down the clutch if u do it right, u have to know what rpm to shift from gear to gear and if done correctly it doesnt hurt ur car.
Moved thread from the General forum, as it doesn't pertain specifically to subies or i-Club.

Yes, it's possible to shift without using the clutch. I've done it in other manual transmissioned cars and tried it once in my WRX. It's not as easy in the WRX because of some of the wide gear ratio spreads. To downshift without using the clutch you release pressure on the throttle, pull the shift lever into neutral position, blip the throttle to rev match engine RPM with transmission gear speed of the gear you're downshifting into, then push the shift lever gently into that gear.

If you've rev-matched your engine correctly, the shift lever will slide into gear with little effort. If you didn't get it right, it will either grind when going into gear or not go in at all.

I don't suggest this driving method for the faint of heart. It's always better to fully depress the clutch pedal when up or downshifting to save wear and tear on the transmission synchronizers and other internals. Clutchless shifting might be good to know should your clutch or throwout bearing suffer a failure some day. My former Omni (Shelby) GLHS snapped a clutch cable when I was 90 miles from home. I was able to drive the car without use of the clutch but when I had to come to a dead stop I had to put the tranny in neutral, kill the engine, put the shift lever into 1st gear, then hit the starter to crank over the engine with the car in gear - very hard on the starter and ring gear.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 08-08-2005, 11:57 AM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
alot of people think that i do this because i shift so fast but in actuallity i do something that is slightly less risky but slightly worse for my car.. when im running thru the gears and want to make a good time of it i keep the gass floored and 'blip' the clutch inbetween gears. the engine revs a bit between and gives you a good 'pop' when entering the next gear. I have yet to see a car that will gain on me in the sifts.. It is just as fast as the clutchless and more dependible once you get it down pat.
Afriend of mine (an old timer from work) told me of one day at the drag strip trying to clutchless shift, well he didnt wate till it was fully in gear to hit the gass and got the stuck between gears... I called bs on him but he brought me pics of his gear box with the one gear stuck between two and the shred patterns seemed to back up his story...
too risky for me to try!
Old 08-08-2005, 02:09 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Sedan
just push the dang clutch.

your foot is already right next to the peddle.

who would wanna skrew up their car over something like that?
Old 08-08-2005, 02:58 PM
MCV

Car Info: MY00 RS
I was just curious and wanted to confirm whether it was true or not. Yea i'd rather use the clutch(and do use it) than try clutchless shifting and hurt my car. Thx for the replys.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:43 PM

thinking about it now... semi's are the only form of transportation that shift clutchlessly on a regular basis and they seem just fine... but then again when have you ever seen a semi not hold up traffic from a light
Old 08-10-2005, 12:09 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by cudaeh
thinking about it now... semi's are the only form of transportation that shift clutchlessly on a regular basis and they seem just fine
You might be confusing clutchless shifting with non-synchronized transmissions, which must utilize the double-clutching technique (search 'net for this technique) to downshift. Tractor trailer rigs have clutch mechanisms - all manual transmissions must have a clutch to prevent stalling at a dead stop.

--
0==WW==0
Old 08-10-2005, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
You might be confusing clutchless shifting with non-synchronized transmissions, which must utilize the double-clutching technique (search 'net for this technique) to downshift. Tractor trailer rigs have clutch mechanisms - all manual transmissions must have a clutch to prevent stalling at a dead stop.

--
0==WW==0
nope, I have been surrounded by semi truck, sament, and dump truck drivers my whole life and all of them say you only use the clutch for starting from a dead stop.. in some cases that you need to depress it only do so half way because if you depress the clutch all the way it will enguage a clutch break??
Tho i have never driven a big truck before every one that i know who has sez that that is how they shift.. no doubt some truck drivers double clutch . or should double clutch but i have never met one yet that does.

Last edited by cudaeh; 08-10-2005 at 04:52 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:56 PM

Car Info: 04 STi blk cloaked team blew member
I used to drive 10 spd buses, I shifted without the clutch all the time but I would do it in my Sti
no reason, it's just not that important but if ppl are out there doing that's cool.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Troll

Car Info: 04 STI--- 435awhp@Pump Gas **520awhp @ C16 Vp
Bottom line I would not do it...regardles...if it was safe enough they wouldnt make a manual trans....just my 2 cents.