Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

California license plate law

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 11:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
California license plate law

I know in CA its illegal to go without a front plate, but I was wondering if its legal if you stick it on top of the dash
Old 07-21-2005, 12:29 AM

Car Info: wrx wagon/2.5rs
I dont believe it is legal to put it on the dash
Old 07-21-2005, 12:31 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
its not.. i mean i think its one of those things where the cop wont say anythign if they can visibally see it.. but i mean leaving the front plate off, it only qualifies for fix it tickets...
Old 07-21-2005, 03:13 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
CA Vehicle Code section 5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
Amended Sec. 27, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

Even if displayed in plain sight on the dashboard, that location is not the 'front' of the vehicle.

Other illegal mods on CHP web site.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 07-21-2005, 05:40 AM

Car Info: '08 WRB SG model D
We are issued 2 license plates where I live. I see people every so often with the front license plate in the window. You are pretty much pushing your luck w/ that. I know an old friend of mine did that could get off w/ maybe 1 or 2 warnings but eventually he got a ticket and it finally went back on. Just better to obey the laws and not draw unwanted attention from officers.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
The front license plate also becomes a sharp projectile in an accident if left on your dash. It is not a smart move (from any standpoint) to put your front license plate up there.

I'd rather run no plate then run a plate sitting on my dash.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:11 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Aspen White Subaru STI
Originally Posted by nKoan
The front license plate also becomes a sharp projectile in an accident if left on your dash. It is not a smart move (from any standpoint) to put your front license plate up there.

I'd rather run no plate then run a plate sitting on my dash.
Good point never thought of that!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:26 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
* Blue and yellow headlights. Headlights must be white - blue and yellow are illegal (24011 VC). Look for the DOT symbol on the bulb and package.
hmm thats weird considering that the older mercedes headlights are straight blue, theres no white in them.. and whut about yellow fog lights... i was thinking about getting some hyper yellow headlight bulbs but i guess not anymore!!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:27 AM

Car Info: silver wrx
how come i see lots of porsches without a front license plate, does that mean DMV gave them only one plate to begin with?
Old 07-21-2005, 09:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by deks
how come i see lots of porsches without a front license plate, does that mean DMV gave them only one plate to begin with?
No. It means they didn't put their front plate on.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:32 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
To my knowledge, DMV currently issues two plates for every model car. Don't know about Porsche, specifically. Could be a case where the owners just don't want like the looks of having a front plate mounted, just like many of us. From the factory, there are no holes drilled in our front bumper cover. I wouldn't use it either, but I just don't have the time to be pulled over on my way to work.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 07-21-2005, 09:35 AM

Car Info: silver wrx
Originally Posted by nKoan
No. It means they didn't put their front plate on.
b*stards... )
Old 07-21-2005, 09:39 AM

Car Info: Sline
No, if your car doesn't have a spot to attach the front plate: Porches, Ferrari's, Corvettes, etc. A cop wont tell you to put it on or pull you over for it.. A friend of mine's dad has a Z06 and asked a cop, that's what they said. The DMV issues 2 plates to every car, no matter the make/model.

As for the blue and yellow lights. You have to go look at the color number of the shade of blue. That is what determines whether or not you'll get a ticket. That's why these high end cars HID's are not "blue" they're High Intensity white lights that look more blue than white.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:45 AM

Car Info: GDA
Originally Posted by jvick125
No, if your car doesn't have a spot to attach the front plate: Porches, Ferrari's, Corvettes, etc. A cop wont tell you to put it on or pull you over for it.. A friend of mine's dad has a Z06 and asked a cop, that's what they said. The DMV issues 2 plates to every car, no matter the make/model.
This is INCORRECT.

Front License Plate Bracket

11713.17. (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:

(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.

(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:

(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.

(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.

(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.
Added Sec. 1, Ch. 365, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d05/vc11713_17.htm
Old 07-21-2005, 10:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
^^ you're right. If your car doesn't have the holes and you get stopped by LE, they will cite you anway and you have to figure out a way to attach the plate.

Quick Reply: California license plate law