Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

BMW 330ci or STi (was: questions)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 05:22 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX Wagon!
Originally posted by rocaveli
Blue-Adept,
thanks for your input, i wish i can test drive the sti, but they say i cant, which really sucks, but yea the sti is #1 on my list now, you just dont see many of them around and you always see g35's 350zs bmw's etc, lexus is dope but the is300 to me looks like a civic when you put rims or something, but anyways, thanks for ur input, if u kno anywhere that i can testdrive a sti in san diego/oceanside i appreciate it
If you came into my dealership with such a "flip-flop" story, i wouldn't waste my time with you either bro (no offense). It seems as if you have no clue what you want. "I want this.. no no I want that... no back to this and i'll supercharge it"....

Go into a dealership with a solid story and talk about putting a downpayment on a car that is refundable if your serious about buying the car. You show them interest, they will more than likely bend the rules a bit

FWIW: I have a 330Ci right now and I cant wait to get rid of that thing for another vehicle. My big problems with the BM is that there is a terrible delay in the Drive by Wire throttle and that the clutch is so vague. Other than these two areas, its a very nice car. If i could do it over again, i'd get a steptronic model and do the Paddle-shift conversion with the Dinan Auto tranny software.

Have you browsed any reputable BMW forums? if so which ones? Right now i'm seriously considering an STi or an E46 M3 SMG. Both cars would remain stock for the most part and both cars would be sourced on the used car market. Currently the 330Ci is my daily driver however before i purchase the next toy i will have a dedicated beater (I'm leaning towards a GTi VR6 since i live down the street from EIP tuning).

You may also want to acknowledge the fact that it may be safer going to an AWD car since your coming from an anemic FWD vehicle... moving to a boosted 330Ci from a 1.6 Del Sol may be a scary (yet fun) experience.

Oh, and for High Performance parts for BMW's... dont go Dinan unless your that scared about loosing your warranty. My car is out of warranty and i have no problem servicing the car.

You may want to look into getting an E36 M3... not as sophisticated as the E46 cars... easier to service.. parts are EVERYWHERE... However you have to worry about other things like: "the $$$ shift", RSM failure, valve guide failure, and some small electrical gremlins (that E46s share also ).

ANyway, sorry for the long reply however i've been debating which way i want to go with my next vehicle and i figure i'd share the knowledge i've gained through these past couple months. Let me know if there is anything I can help with.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:09 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
I also looked at a new 300 Ci, compared to my WRX, the fit and finish are MUCH better but performance is nothing like my car.

I guess it depends on what you want the car for - I bought the wagon because I was self employed and had to carry parts with me.

My previous car was an Infinity and it was much nicer inside than my WRX, but I don't miss any of that - unless you are single and dating then I would buy a 2002 M5 for about $35K. This is a great car and control is amazing.

My WRX, 2.4 liter Crawford racing engine, similar performance to a modified STi on CA 91, is much more fun to drive than my Infinity could ever be. I am also not a "racer" but I like the feelling of power when I hit the gas, acceleration is much better than speed
Old 05-29-2005, 12:08 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by AntiochCali
I also looked at a new 300 Ci, compared to my WRX, the fit and finish are MUCH better but performance is nothing like my car.
<snip...>
I'm sure that the member who posted the original question has since made a decision, although he has not visited the board since August of 2004.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush