Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Advice on upgrading from a Viper to an STi?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 08:56 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by Onizuka
Keep the Viper and sell the Camaro only.
Second that... good idea.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:59 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
Originally Posted by meilers
I'm not so sure. If he's willing to spend an extra $11k or so on a built motor, Garrett turbo, transmission upgrades and suspension mods, he could get close. .
true, but even with amount of money and mods- the cars still will be worlds apart. i won't dispute the horsepower capability... the all-wheel-drive in the STi i believe, is the determinig factor in labeling these cars as "different animals".

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 02-26-2005, 11:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by gdogg
true, but even with amount of money and mods- the cars still will be worlds apart. i won't dispute the horsepower capability... the all-wheel-drive in the STi i believe, is the determinig factor in labeling these cars as "different animals".
Yeah, the Viper will be the one that ends up in the ditch when you try to drive it on that muddy back road

Like I said, I've driven both, and the progressive power band of the STI coupled with the street-minded gearset make it a much more comfortable car in town; the linear power band of the Viper makes it devestating on the track, but you've got to go like the dickens all the time (or putt along at 1300 RPM in 2nd gear all day) and burn gas at a rate of 11mpg while you do it.

Personally, I think this thread is a fake; there's no reason someone who clearly has money and loves huge-displacement, RWD N/A Detroit iron would suddenly crave a little Japanese sport compact that puts out less HP than a Civic until you take it to 3500 RPM. Unless, of course, he's sick of having to work on his cars every single weekend just to keep them running
Old 03-07-2005, 10:50 AM

Car Info: SGM 135i
07 supra or skyline is definately nice. hey it's if you dont wanna wait, you dont have to wait till 07, they should be out at around august of 06. i'd say get a g35 and save up for about 5 months (5*1500 = 7500) and get a power enterprise twin turbo kit and you'd be set.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:14 AM
VIP Member

I think you'd be bored to tears with a G35, even with a twin turbo; the cars are extremely nose-heavy and prone to serious oversteer (they even SHOW this in the commercial for the car!) if you touch the gas in the corner. Here in Scottsdale, AZ, I see more G35 coupes and sedans than Hondas -- I'm not kidding, I have stopped at to a 4-way intersection and counted five of them at once, two in front of me and one apiece in the other lanes.

Also, beware of supercharging; the Stillen and Vortek superchargers are 100% mechanical (they don't do an ECU reflash!) and have bad boost creep and lean-out issues.

However, the AWD coupe with that twin-turbo setup would still be a badass vehicle, with good wheels and tires, new springs and struts and the interior package. However, by then you'd be spending $38-$42k, and you'd realize you should have gotten a Mercedes (300E series) or bought an STI and installed leather seats, soundproofing and a decent stereo
Old 03-13-2005, 02:32 PM

Car Info: .............................................................................
....a slightly modded LGT would be a good choice as well.....de-badged and throw a Gialla body kit on a black or dark blue one......

http://www.gialla.co.jp/gialla/catal.../b4_200405.jpg

http://www.gialla.co.jp/gialla/catal...4_r_200308.jpg

Last edited by Uncle Scotty; 03-13-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:12 AM
VIP Member

Agreed, Scotty... I am amazed how much of a difference a new grille, lip and wheels make on the LGT. Now, if only someone was twin-turboing those...

BTW, +1 for ANOTHER Japanese company with an Italian name. Why do the JDM parts companies always have non-Japanese names?
Old 03-14-2005, 11:06 AM

Car Info: .............................................................................
Originally Posted by meilers
Agreed, Scotty... I am amazed how much of a difference a new grille, lip and wheels make on the LGT. Now, if only someone was twin-turboing those...

BTW, +1 for ANOTHER Japanese company with an Italian name. Why do the JDM parts companies always have non-Japanese names?

....I know of a LGT that is getting a GT30R on it....that HAD a twinscroll on it....the damn thing is FAST !! ! ! ! ! ....and coilovers and sway's and all the good junk....TOTAL SLEEPER....with leather and a sunroof and all that, too

If I were to buy a new car, it wouldn't be a WRX STi....it would be the Legacy STi that should be coming to the US this year....

..aslo.....the 'NICE' upscale Subaru that people aspire to in japan is the Legacy and there is a LOT of japan support and aftermarket for the platform that you don't see in the US.....
Old 03-17-2005, 08:31 PM

Car Info: 98 2.5RS
I think going from a Viper to an STi would be insanely hard. Just the aspect of a viper all torque, real low, the way the exhaust sounds, how you drive it and just the look of them is completely different from an STi. I think you would be disappointed in a way because your last car was a frieckin viper man...its not like you a 20 something how saves all his cash to get an STi so he doesnt have to drive his beater civic. It sounds like you inbetween cars so you want something that will hold some of its value so you might want to think about that too. I love STi's but that my taste so i'd drive one to see if you like it and make up your mind then.