Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

911 vs. Boxster question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:24 AM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pwn
I have heard the exact same thing, and I know someone who was scared ****less in the boxster and he said it felt reallly unstable if you went remotely fast. Still nice cars though and I'd gladly take either . Their interior is to die for
When the Boxster let's go at 100 mph+ it rotates in the center like a $50K top!!!

I did it with my 5 year old (at the time) daughter on a dry lake we were shooting on. I cannot tell you how many times we went around! She still talks about it (and she's 10 now).

I also did the same at a 'retired airport' by myself when I was going to have to drive it screaming fast in the wet on Palomar Road (San Diego)... I went around only a few times less.

But, this is why it works so GREAT in the tight stuff. It rotates right on the heels of any sport bike. I used to chase my buddy on my Duck 996 and in the corners I could have tapped him!
Old 10-03-2006, 12:53 PM

Car Info: WRX STi
Originally Posted by NW OBS
I have owned both, rented both and drove for Porsche print ads and commercials for about 5 years (including the launch of the Boxster) as a 'professional driver on a closed course'.
Sounds like this guy is in a position to give good advice.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:10 PM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
With a few suspension tweaks the 911 will hold its own in the low speed stuff, it just takes more coercing to get it move, a bit more muscle if you will. I was running Bilsteins with camber kits, RS sways, and enough engine tweaks to get just under 280whp. It does "feel" heavier than a boxster, but the daily drive and general feel just fit me better, plus as I mentioned, looks were important as well(if you want good handling and don't care about looks, buy a miata). I had the 993 at buttonwillow quite often and I only had troubles when they had the short track config with zorros corners up, I couldn't keep enough speed throught the corners to let the 245s and 305s work me through the sharp stuff. It also didn't like highway 9 much though, little too tight and couldn't keep the speed up enough without cutting corners and beign stupid, installing a euro 2-6 helped a bit(quite a bit shorter than US 2-6), but it still felt heavy.

I've been looking again recently and just can't get used to the feel of the boxster, if I were to buy right now it would be a cayman.

To me it's personal perference, test them out, see what fits your wants and needs the best and go with it.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: looking for a gc
my old civic used to pull on boxsters so uhmm yea, i would say they're underpowered haha
Old 10-03-2006, 01:38 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
get a 993 turbo
Old 10-03-2006, 01:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2012 Mazda 3 Hatch
Talking

Originally Posted by NW OBS
I don't think it is that simple. The power to weight is not that far off between the two. Here's the BIG difference. In 25 mph - 55 mph marked corners the Boxster S is a four wheeled motorcycle. When you get into triple digit sweepers the Boxster S is VERY nervous and it is a scary place to be.

The 911 is exactly the opposite. You want to do triple digit corners (say marked 65 mph corners). The 911 sticks like it is on rails and you do not need nerves of steel to do it! But, it becomes a large car and not nearly as nimble as the Boxster S in the tight canyons.

I have owned both, rented both and drove for Porsche print ads and commercials for about 5 years (including the launch of the Boxster) as a 'professional driver on a closed course'.

It's called choosing the proper tool for the proper job. I like my license and terrorize tight canyons at 'near' legal speeds. The Boxster S fit this driver the best.

Where can I really use the 911's trump card?
Great post... I've never driven either one (of course, I'd like to). I just wanted jumpstart the thread with a little humor...
Old 10-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
you know RUF makes a car where they just stick the 911 motor into a boxter body. try that
Old 10-03-2006, 09:49 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Originally Posted by yayitzian
you know RUF makes a car where they just stick the 911 motor into a boxter body. try that
Yeah, I actually contacted RUF USA - they have one, used, $84,000 but it is registered in California!

Way out of my price range.

I'm looking for something fun to drive - but it's got to have a little power too.

I am amazed at the prices some of these people want for used Porsches, I mean it, I think they are deceiving themselves. I am used to seeing crazy dealer prices, if you say X or we're done, they usually cave, but I see private parties selling for crazy money. Who is paying those prices?

Thanks for the inputs....I'm still looking.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:24 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Originally Posted by AntiochCali
Yeah, I actually contacted RUF USA - they have one, used, $84,000 but it is registered in California!

Way out of my price range.

I'm looking for something fun to drive - but it's got to have a little power too.

I am amazed at the prices some of these people want for used Porsches, I mean it, I think they are deceiving themselves. I am used to seeing crazy dealer prices, if you say X or we're done, they usually cave, but I see private parties selling for crazy money. Who is paying those prices?

Thanks for the inputs....I'm still looking.
If you want to dance, you will need to pay the band. Honestly, "There is no substitute!" Is pretty much a perfect hook. I owned a '73 911S bought new. After 100,000 miles and 3 years I sold it for exactly what i paid for it... what they ask is what it is worth. I would buy from an original owner & from a local PCA member, Then NEVER sell.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
haha Whit, have you been talking to miguel??

yeah I love the boxster too, but after driving a Cayman I think my mind is set on my next car. Power is nowhere near what my STI is but handling is damn near telepathic

I think though that for what the price of a used Boxster gives you in terms of performance and open top fun its hard to make an argument against it, and anyone here that thinks otherwise should experience their favorite backroad in a sub-3K pound car with the top down with a car that handles like a boxter and then tell us how you feel

I would serioulsly consider a boxster if I didnt already have my own Triumph Spitfire/ SR20 project on longterm production, just wait till I'm after you and miguel with a 1600lb curb weight and 200 hp!lol!

anyhow, do it or I'll lose all respect for you an punch you!

Last edited by Krinkov; 10-04-2006 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:30 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Hey long time no see. How's it going anyways? i am so busy I hardly ever get up here to post.

Originally Posted by Krinkov
haha Whit, have you been talking to miguel??

yeah I love the boxster too, but after driving a Cayman I think my mind is set on my next car. Power is nowhere near what my STI is but handling is damn near telepathic

I think though that for what the price of a used Boxster gives you in terms of performance and open top fun its hard to make an argument against it, and anyone here that thinks otherwise should experience their favorite backroad in a sub-3K pound car with the top down with a car that handles like a boxter and then tell us how you feel

I would serioulsly consider a boxster if I didnt already have my own Triumph Spitfire/ SR20 project on longterm production, just wait till I'm after you and miguel with a 1600lb curb weight and 200 hp!lol!

anyhow, do it or I'll lose all respect for you an punch you!
Old 10-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: I got a couple :)
2001 911 turbo is now reachable price wise. Kartoyz in San Jose has a Ruf non turbo for sale on the body style you love. Call Toan, 408 251 1496 he is cool.

Another place that can get you Porsches cheap is Maxwell Auto in Fremont,.510 440 8710, John is a very down to earth person and he owns the place. He can find you anything;lease returns, bank repos or plain old clean rides from 20k to over a million.

Tell them Gino sent you. I make no revenue on any sales, just want to see a fellow car nut get what you need.

gino
Old 10-09-2006, 11:52 AM

Car Info: '09 MX-5, '09 IS-F
I've not driven a 911. We test drove a 986S, I think it was an 03 or 04. We drove a 987S '05 and it's such an improvement that we chose the 987S.

Here's my take. Recently magazines have been saying that the Boxster will outhandle the Carrera. The Carreras make up for the handling deficit with power. A 987 Boxster S with PASM lapped the famed Nurburgring in about the same time as a base 997 Carrera. I can't remember the exact times though.

Some people have to have the Carrera because that is Porsche's original rear-engine sports car.

PS - the '03s and '04s had rear main seal leaking issues. That was a big complaint among the 986 owners. This is supposedly an expensive fix.