Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

230 hp dogde srt-4 for '04

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 07:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 toyota tacoma
pwn the srt
Old 11-07-2003, 01:50 AM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
SRT is close to its max unlilke the WRX or STi. Check out the turbo buick forum for this. www.turbobuick.com

Nick
Old 11-07-2003, 10:17 PM

Car Info: 03 RS- aspen white, 5 speed
Originally posted by DoomE.Q.
Some of the attitude on here is driving me crazy. It seems that we have assumed the role of our old musclehead bullies, detracting from all that is american much like they detracted from all that is japanese. Cars are cars. They are different. Some do some things better, and others do other things better. But this double sided auto-talk has to be contested...lest we all end up like the niched in Mustang/Chevy die hards, or the honda ones for that matter.

...obviously not of a neon.. at least an ACR. Anyone who autocrosses knows that the Dodge Neon ACR held stock classes in a headlock with it's factory equipped adjustable camber and it's deceptivly good handling. If anything the neon was touted as a handler with less then astonishing power. I know a couple of SCC articles throwing around the 're-invention of the musclecar' term have given you WRX owners a 'holier then thou' attitude in the corners and while AWD offers supeior traction in less then ideal conditions remember that RT and ACR neons were crushing RS's into pulp at smooth pavement autocrosses when a WRX was a JDM only dream. AWD is of course the only way i'd want to go but it still isn't the apex drivetrain in all situations... which brings me to:

This is a true statement, just as RWD is better on a perfectly dry smooth road course. AWD is excess weight and unnesicarry in some situations but still offers advantages in some other situations.

But the point of it is this...BoOm who posted the above was most likely using that fact to take away from the other fact posted... that the SRT-4 out slaloms the WRX stock for stock. So what? are us Subaru owners going to take to the grave the polar opposite of what the old addage used to be? Now is going faster in a straight line with an STi over an EVO more important then the slalom numbers? Are those slalom numbers rubbish when the WRX lacks the straight line superiority? If the WRX out slalomed the SRT-4 it would just lend justification to all of the now unfounded 'yeah if you only wanna drag race' crap talking. Please stop talking out of both sides of the mouth. Our cars are what they are: A compromise. Deal. Quit hearing what you want and descrediting what isn't convenient to your own choices. Just because you own a Subaru doesn't mean that the answer to a faster 1/4 mile time is 'my car handles better' and the answer to a spanking round the bends is 'got AWD?' or 'Lets take it to the snow'.... please give credit where it's due.

Since SCC seems to be the bible why don't you check out their article going inside the SRT-4's engine.... seems pretty robust. I wish my car had piston oil squirters.... But believe what you want only time will tell.

If you leave the SRT-4 stock...

Besides Mods Vs. Mods is a ridiculous comparison... one needs look no further then the 2 WRX tuner challenges SCC has had... A Vishnu tuned WRX would probably kill a fairly modded SRT-4. But throw a Mopar engineered version at say an SPI car like the one that took on the STi and see what happens. It all boils down to the parts used and their execution. Thats why STOCK Vs. STOCK is the true benchmark because it is what is offered... not what is possible. Anything is possible with means (read money) and method. If you shod a new Civic SI with race rubber it just may outskidpad (another area where AWD is at a gross disadvantage i might add) and slalom a WRX but does that mean 'A modded SI will own a WRX' ? Please ... We all can laugh at that crap...

All i'm trying to say is this. It's just cars... It's all relative. If a SRT-4 was an AWD turbo rally winner and the WRX was FWD would it still be a gung ho american pile of junk? Is a Ford Focus RS lamer then a Subaru RS just because of lineage? Obviously not. A car is more then where it's built.

Also a car is more then numbers. But that doesn't stop the numbers from being fact. A car that runs 10 seconds is still faster then 11 no matter how you slice it (or 14.0 and 14.6 for that matter) but that only matters for what it is, a quarter mile E/T. Handling numbers are the same. But thats all they are.... numbers. Let your heart drive you, not 0-60 times, and we all will get shorter geared cars. It's when we start playing 'my oranges are more sour then your apples but your limes aren't sweet enough...' that we all start sounding like muscleheads or honda jackasses... And as subaru owners i'd like to hope you are all above it.

-DE
i actually got out of my seat and gave a standing ovation to this one.

what i can't understand is how this thread can go one a page and a half after this has been posted. he's said all that's to be said.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
honestly most of DE's posts deserve standing ovations. hes probably one of the most sensible and intelligent people on earth...but i have to just say i slightly disagree on one thing...how a car reacts to mods does matter for some people....say you're comparing an wrx and a n/a equivalent(in all aspects-hp, torque,skidpad gs, 1/4, etc) whatever that equilvalent may be...with 2000$ in power mods for each...the turbo'd(rex) car will probably have more noticable gains...for some that matters so it should be taken into account IMO..also some cars are built to the max potential of the drivetrain so its a big thing for some people i guess...wouldnt you say?
Old 11-13-2003, 12:31 AM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
stock for stock yes... but its really about better performance at the end..
Old 11-14-2003, 06:54 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza coup, green, 5speed 1.8l awd
the SRT-4 exhibites many of the same qualities as a Rex.

but how easy are they to work on by yourself?

because everyone i know that owns a dodge has problems working on them because they have to remove five or more parts most of the time to get to what they want to replace or fix or spend a butt load of money in labor

but then thats me because i have put a flywheel and clutch in my sooby at home and not everyone can do that

(wonder how long a turbo swap is on them?)
Old 11-19-2003, 09:50 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Stock WRX tires

For the love of God, you have to realize that the stock tires SUCK really bad on the WRX. When I switched to my 225/45-17's, it made the car feel completely different. It stuck to the road like it was glued to it.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:57 PM

the srt4 beat a wrx up pikes peak? where ? show me the video. cause i thought the 2003 championship goes to the AWD subaru driver, solberg?
Old 11-19-2003, 09:58 PM

and i believe in the end the AWD subaru won the 2003 WRC? or am i wrong?
Old 11-19-2003, 11:46 PM

yes evo, sti s srt4's etc...all is great as u said nick van axel, its upon the driver in the cars as well to achieve the best times. in that case, the driver in the srt4 going up pikes peak got the better time in its class.. so what. that shows the potential of its class, every car has potential.

at the end, WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP solberg owned, in the OPEN class, YES lovell DID win first. yes i was confused. but i get it now. there is no end. but there is. IN THE END its up to the best time and thats the Subaru. yes the srt4 is faster stock for stock.. or so it says, every time i read the results, the WRX gets a range from 14.2-14.6 factors such as weather and ddriver make a big difference, at the end its up to the driver.. enough talkin about oh a evo is faster than a srt4, oh an srt4 is faster than a wrx, oh a turbo b18 is faster than a VW1.8T, oh STi is faster than this, oh ferrari is faster than ur sti, oh my sti is faster than ur ferrari. oh my ferrari is faster than ur boxster. blah blah blah performance is great in both cars, lets see how one puts performance to use. stop talking about wat will smoke wat, start showing videos or time slips. all this my car is faster than urs is just stupid. every time posted on the magazines is usually quite accurate, or is it? goto know by actually driving the stock wrx or stock srt4 and running it at the strips. i agree, because the srt4 got the better time compared to the awd class, doesnt mean its the better car, just because lovell got 1st place in open class beating everyones time, doesnt mean its the better car, doesnt mean since solberg won the WRC, means his car is the best. it would be more meaningful talking about other things more related to how u did at the tracks or drags, cause comparing facts and info from magazines aint shiet. and yes it is about better performance in the end.. and the end is the end of the 2003 WRC which the better performance was the Subaru driven by Solberg. in the end, its lovells subaru at pikes peak that took the best time. its only the end of that event, until next time.. more opportunities for potential champs. yes this supposed car is faster, so what, whos driving? a ford focus got a better time than the srt4, i agree, that doesnt mean the focus is better. at the end, its pure skills.

Quick Reply: 230 hp dogde srt-4 for '04