Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

'06 EVO IX MR vs '06 STI

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 04:04 PM

Car Info: WRX
you should get the evo....free maintainance and warranty isnt strict as subarus. And is that free gas for 1 year still going on when u purchase a mitsu?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:06 PM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
Originally Posted by WrbImprezaSti
you should get the evo....free maintainance and warranty isnt strict as subarus. And is that free gas for 1 year still going on when u purchase a mitsu?
None of that still applies for 06 unfortunatly.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
White '06 STi looks great IMO.
+1 on a white 06.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:36 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by adizon
I can't believe all these folks on a "Subaru" forum, voting for the Evo. What the heck? I mean is the Suby a poor mans Evo? he he!

+1 for the Evo!
Originally Posted by View Askew
No, but a Subaru is the rich man's SRT-4. JK
Sacrilege!

So are people voting for the MR because you hate the 06s, or do y'all really like the Mitsubishi more -choke- ?

+1 for SUBARU -> http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/s204/
Old 12-20-2005, 05:43 PM

Car Info: 05 Impreza CGM
Personally I had a two Subies. So if I was given the opportunity I would switch sides and get me a EVO 9 MR. Only question in my mind is the the EVO X is coming and it is supposed to be quite different. But for the modding person in us one cannot beat the mods for the buck for the EVO. I would consider an FXT or a Outback XT as well. Too bad Mitshu does not import the Outlander turbo.

Cheers

Nick
Old 12-20-2005, 07:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
the more i see the new 06 sti driving around the more and more i like the evo

uh the 06 sti is ugly
Old 12-20-2005, 08:27 PM
VIP Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by zumnwrx
the more i see the new 06 sti driving around the more and more i like the evo

uh the 06 sti is ugly
Blah, blah, blah. Are you aware that there are those in the Subie community that feel that the GC8s are the ONLY good looking Subarus, and think that your beloved bugeye is hideous! Simply put: newest IS best. Besides, the bugeye was eliminated because Subaru lovers worldwide HATED it. Only time will tell how successful the GDF will be, but I predict it'll be parsecs ahead of the now 4 year old bugeye.

p.s. Lurk, save your money. The Evo X is on its way; it'll be here next year or at the latest the year after next. If you're so intent on getting a Mitsu, at least get what'll be the latest evolution of the model.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:32 PM

Car Info: WRX
the new 06 has a butt ugly front end. i'd rather choose the bugeye
Old 12-20-2005, 08:51 PM
dk

Car Info: 2002 wrb wrx waggie
f*** the evo MR. it's still a 2-liter engine with a light-switch boost curve, a fwd-based chassis, and the lancer hit forbes' "worst cars of 2005" list because of its low safety rating.

a stock STI gets on boost so fast you can barely tell it's turbocharged, and it _still makes more power_.

my personal opinion on the handling is that people who are used to FWD think the evo "handles better". having spent the past 4 years in 2 240sx's and a bmw, i'm not among that camp. it's still basically a g**d***ed DSM, and those things have NEVER handled.

put more nicely: if you want the kind of drivability and handling that'll help keep you from wadding it up, and if you want to live when you do so anyway, get the STI.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:02 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by WrbImprezaSti
the new 06 has a butt ugly front end. i'd rather choose the bugeye
More hater talk. Damn Haters! Old STI owners' opinions don't count here . Anyhow, it's not about the bugeye, that model is dead. The question here is IX MR or 06 STI. Stay on topic people.

p.s. Perhaps a poll might be the most efficient method of getting answers.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:51 PM

It's amazing that for so many members on this otherwise intellegent forum fall into the trap that model-years are entirely a "popularity contest" and little about perfromance and improvements. Why do so many people think it is useful to share their personal opinions on something that is completely individual, and should be left as such? Many people happen to like the new looks while others prefer the old looks. Some people like apples, others like oranges -- it's a useless f*cking debate.

As far as choosing an Evo or an STI, it depends on what's important to you -- and you can arrive half way (or more) at your decision just by reading the more intelligent posts above. For more info on which to base your decision, just keep looking at other threads in both the Subaru and Mitsu forums. Plenty for research material, even for the new models.

For me, I like the proven reliability of a very performance-oriented WRX over the amazingly aggressive performance of the Evo. You may feel differently, and that's just as valid. But don't base your decision simply on several individuals' personal taste and opinions... especially if that's all they have to offer. And in most cases, that's all they offer: "Ugly... fugly... yucky..." Blah, blah, blah.

Good luck.

-
Old 12-20-2005, 11:05 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally Posted by dk
f*** the evo MR. it's still a 2-liter engine with a light-switch boost curve, a fwd-based chassis, and the lancer hit forbes' "worst cars of 2005" list because of its low safety rating.

a stock STI gets on boost so fast you can barely tell it's turbocharged, and it _still makes more power_.

my personal opinion on the handling is that people who are used to FWD think the evo "handles better". having spent the past 4 years in 2 240sx's and a bmw, i'm not among that camp. it's still basically a g**d***ed DSM, and those things have NEVER handled.

put more nicely: if you want the kind of drivability and handling that'll help keep you from wadding it up, and if you want to live when you do so anyway, get the STI.

that post just made my night

:rotfl:

You couldn't be more wrong about everything you said there.

:rotfl:
Old 12-21-2005, 02:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
Lurk,

sorry about your car man.. hope you are alright..

Get the EVO IX MR..

Cal
Old 12-21-2005, 03:11 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by 1fastGC
Lurk,

sorry about your car man.. hope you are alright..

Get the EVO IX MR..

Cal
Sup Cal! Yeah man, the Suby's gone. But I think I'll enjoy my future EVO MR just as much if not more. See you around dude.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:11 AM
ZK

Car Info: 08 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 10
Originally Posted by dk

Well, I've owned a 240SX which I invested 20K in engine, suspension, wheels etc. and the Evo is hands down a better handling car in stock form. Yes, it is a FWD based chasis, but so what? You have to drive it differently than a RWD car is all. It bares little resemblance to the Lancer besides the appearance. And it is not a DSM at all. These were 100% developed and built in Japan.

If you are into performance driving you will be keeping the revs up anyway. The Evo pulls hard all the way from 3K to its 7K redline, that's a pretty broad powerband. Who the hell is going to be flooring it at 2K RPM anyway? On the highway you're at a good 3K to 4K, no need to downshift just blip the throttle and its easy to pass or change lanes.

Quick Reply: '06 EVO IX MR vs '06 STI