Your BAIC Home Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Well, seeing as OPPO has no immediate plans for a "next gen" media player I took the plunge and purchased a 360 add-on drive this morning. I wasn't very happy with the stand alone players selection at the moment so this add-on should hold me over 'till OPPO does make one if/when they do. The add-on deal is a nice one at Amazon; one free movie in box and a mail-in rebate for 5 additional free movies and free shipping all for the usual $179.99.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your position at OPPO, Gagan?
The great thing about the HD-DVD add on is that it can connected to a computer and used as an HD-DVD player. So if your laptop has decent power and graphics (such as DVI output) you have a portable system that can be used on most newer HDTVs.

I'm Tech Support. 1 of basically 2 people.

Last edited by joltdudeuc; 10-14-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by so steezy
if anyone wants to have their tv mounted,speakers on wall,or anything HT related or just needs help with it...let me kno. Im a lead installer for magnolia home theater and would more than happy to help you guys out with your set ups.
Ahhh, magnolia home theater.

I've met one sales kid at the Union City magnolia who seems to be fairly knowledgeable, but still had some of the corporate BS programmed in his mind. Usually I can't stand to hear the sale people in at electronics dept dupe customers into products they can't afford/don't need/aren't a good fit for them. Pretty sad

So bassplayrr, any luck with the PS3 using the sequence I was talking about earlier?
Old 10-14-2007, 08:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc

So bassplayrr, any luck with the PS3 using the sequence I was talking about earlier?
I believe it was wrxguy with the PS3 problem, not me. I'm a 360 fan boy.

Thanks for the input about my new 360 add-on drive. I assumed it would only work with the 360, so that's some pretty exciting news and makes me feel even better about making the purchase. Unfortunately I use an iBook which I'm sure is not compatible, but I'll have to keep that in mind when my GF and I take her work laptop on trips.

Now tell your company to finish working on the new DVD player and come out with a HD DVD player so that I can give you guys some of my money.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:59 PM

Car Info: baby blue TRICK STAR on pink TUFF II's (MIA) =(
no dis to anyone, but bose isn't really home theater quality gear, esp at the prices they charge.

and i'm pretty certain there are a bunch of other baic'ers w/nice set-ups. not everyone likes to advertise tho.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:12 AM
Old School

are you referring to me?

Last edited by joltdudeuc; 10-15-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:17 AM
Old School

wrxguy, any luck? (sorry for the mix up)

lets get that ps3 workin'!
Old 10-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Old School

bose is not high end, but for folks, espcially middleaged, bose provide simple easy to use systems with good sound (to them at least). so yes, definitely not for enthusiasts, but not crappy gear. i mean there is no way they can charge those prices if people didnt like what heard from thie past systems.

there are definitely other brands out there that give grea value. i mentioened im getting a paradigm setup, they are a great value. many others exsist.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:55 AM

I pm'd wrxguy. Hopefully how I got my PS3 to work will work for him. Basically after the 1.93 firmware update the hand shake between the PS3 and my HK AVR didn't like the blu ray PS3 setting (HDMI out).
Old 10-15-2007, 08:39 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by CLsmooth71
and i'm pretty certain there are a bunch of other baic'ers w/nice set-ups. not everyone likes to advertise tho.
Then those people shouldn't bother posting in this thread...

As evidenced by the numerous car, bike, computer, etc. picture threads, there are plenty of people in the BAIC that do like showing what they have. So, I'm asking them to post here if they feel so inclined.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
i'd like to post up but my setup is more gear'd towards gaming movies are for the lap dog having wussies
Old 10-15-2007, 08:58 AM
VIP Member

I game too. I think with the two major gaming consoles being good values as players for the two HD formats you'll find that a lot of "home theaters" are geared toward gaming nearly as much as they are geared towards movies these days.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by zumnwrx
i'd like to post up but my setup is more gear'd towards gaming movies are for the lap dog having wussies
what games do you play!?!

Don't tell me it's like OpTiOn TWOO Togue Masters!

Yeah, I don't play many games. I just watch a bunch of racing, some MMA and stuff.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:59 AM

Car Info: baby blue TRICK STAR on pink TUFF II's (MIA) =(
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Then those people shouldn't bother posting in this thread...

As evidenced by the numerous car, bike, computer, etc. picture threads, there are plenty of people in the BAIC that do like showing what they have. So, I'm asking them to post here if they feel so inclined.
ME-OWWW!! :

as evidenced, someone might need some prunes or a nice bowl of oatmeal.
Happy Monday! :RockOn - not mine:

btw, I wasn't directing my Bose comment towards anyone/or their set-up specifically. like w/anything, incl. cars+mods, everyone has their own preferences. buy what you like and makes you happy. as long as you're digging things, that's all that matters.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by CLsmooth71
ME-OWWW!! :

as evidenced, someone might need some prunes or a nice bowl of oatmeal.
Happy Monday! :RockOn - not mine:

btw, I wasn't directing my Bose comment towards anyone/or their set-up specifically. like w/anything, incl. cars+mods, everyone has their own preferences. buy what you like and makes you happy. as long as you're digging things, that's all that matters.
personally, I hate bose, but I'm not going to knock it for others
Old 10-15-2007, 03:32 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
Hey,

I guess i'll share what i've put together for my parents about 4-5 years ago. They're huge music/karaoke buffs (most asian parents are!). And yes, they had a good year when we purchased :x

62" Mitsu Rear Projector TV
Oppo 971H Upconverting DVD Player
Other Misc hardware..

HT Speaker Setup:
Harman Kardon AVR 635 7.1 Receiver
Ascend CM340 Fronts and center
Ascend HTM200 Rears
HSU VTF-3 MK2 12" 350 Watt Sub

Karaoke Setup:
Crown XLS-602
BMB CS-500 Fronts

All in a custom built cabinet housing. It screams for action movies! Anyway, its' pretty cool to know that we have an OPPO employee here. Maybe some 'special' pricing on some players for us BAICers?

-Jon

Quick Reply: Your BAIC Home Theaters