You don't want to see these....

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 02:05 AM

Car Info: sc300
you guize are just mad cuz you cant get a skyline easily here..
Old 02-19-2007, 08:23 AM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX
Everyone keeps talking up the skyline like it's made out of gold, runs 10's in the ¼ mile while pulling 1.2g's in the corners. Let me tell you, it doesn't. It's just a car. All our cars are just cars. Some cars are nicer than other but, in the end, they are all just cars.

This reminds me of something I saw on another forum about Mustang SVO's. Anyone else remember those from the 80's? Well, one guy wanted to buy a set of seats from an SVO for his regular mustang on the For-Sale section of the SVO forum. The moderator banned him because he didn't want to have SVO's parted out and chopped up. He gave him a pretty "Stearn Talking To" as well. I'm mean they are just mustangs. And Ford only made like 250k of them every year.

"But, SVO's are special. They only made like 60k of those."

Someone suggested that one buy a clean sample, part it out, cut it up all the while taking pictures to post on SVO forums. Now that would be funny!

Bill

Last edited by BillJC; 02-19-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by wrXtian
it looks like that motorex safety testing.. back when they ****ed up some skylines to show their safety
LOL. Safety testing usually involves some sort of accident or ramming the car into an object. What would they be doing here - proving's crashworthiness if you happen to get attacked by car crushers? Haha..

It's real, it's in the US and it's a GT-S not an R. Yes it is sort of sad that it got crushed but hey, it's not really special and didn't even have an engine. It was pretty thrashed before it was destroyed. Now it makes others more valuable. The car was required to be destroyed, so selling off parts of it would have been illegal and most likely not worth the trouble.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:49 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
Well if everyone had that attitude, Bill, I'm sure this board wouldn't exist. From your comments it seems you don't understand that our cars are our pride and joy. Of course we would treat them like gold, even if they dont run 10's, I will still treasure it. I would think that many car enthusiasts would believe that sure it's just car, but once it's gone. It's gone.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:53 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by BillJC
Everyone keeps talking up the skyline like it's made out of gold, runs 10's in the ¼ mile while pulling 1.2g's in the corners. Let me tell you, it doesn't. It's just a car. All our cars are just cars. Some cars are nicer than other but, in the end, they are all just cars....
Bill
All JDM cars are made of carbon fibre, not gold. Duh!

And, if you want to get technical, the Skyline GT-R Z-tune does run 10s and probably comes close to 1.2g on the skid pad.

The Skyline is Japan's Corvette. It's why a lot of people got into cars (imports in particular). It's a race track legend on the JGTC circuit. It's tuning potential is world class. It looks like a pissed off refridgerator. Add the fact that only a handfull have made it stateside and you have a car with a demigod status.

... or maybe it's no different than my 2004 Impala V6.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:18 AM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
No offense, but the styling of those cars is soooo out dated. If I saw that next to a honda, I wouldn't be able to distinguish them at first glance. Performance is one thing, (with enough money you can make a lawn mower perform well) but if I'm spending a GRIP on a car it better look the part as well.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX

And, if you want to get technical, the Skyline GT-R Z-tune does run 10s and probably comes close to 1.2g on the skid pad.
The car in the picture isn't a Z-tune.

The cars raced in JGTC are a far cry from their street car counterparts. It's like comparing the C6R Vettes to the regular C6. There is no comparison. Other than they look the same. Suspension, bodywork, drivetrain, brakes, the whole car is different.

You are missing my point. Everyone holds the Skyline so high up at the top of the automotive heap. From what I have heard people say, the only thing the car can't do is make money from the exhaust emissions. It's just a car. There are tons of cars that aren't or weren't available here. The Porsche 959 for one. Or any of the DTM homologation cars in Germany. But, those are uber rare with production in the hundreds instead of the thousands.

I'm not saying that it isn't a nice car. It is. What I'm saying is that IMHO it isn't as special as you would like to think. I remember a few years ago someone tried to campaign one in World Challenge and practically got his doors blown off by the whole field. Vettes, Vipers, Bimmers, Audi's, Caddy's and all.

Bill
Old 02-19-2007, 11:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop
No offense, but the styling of those cars is soooo out dated. If I saw that next to a honda, I wouldn't be able to distinguish them at first glance. Performance is one thing, (with enough money you can make a lawn mower perform well) but if I'm spending a GRIP on a car it better look the part as well.
That's becuase the sect of Honda owners that don't like the way their Hondas look have imported every body part they can get their collective hands on in order to make their Hondas look like Nissans.

Trust me...there is no mistaking a Skyline for a Honda.

And the one in the picture is a base model R34. Believe it has an NA RB20DE motor with sub 150hp numbers.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:19 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop
Spoken like someone who has zero interest in cars or car history. Pretty common way of thinking though where "newer" is better than "meaningful."
Old 02-19-2007, 11:23 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RedStage
And the one in the picture is a base model R34. Believe it has an NA RB20DE motor with sub 150hp numbers.
The story is pretty old, and it's not a base model. It's not a GT-R but it did have a RB25DET before it was destroyed (heard the motor was pulled first).

http://members.***.net/pontiacfreak/Skyline_End.htm

If you think that is sad, compare it to the 13th 22B that was here in the states for magazine testing until it was destroyed. Now THAT is sad.

Last edited by wombatsauce; 02-19-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
If you think that is sad, compare it to the 13th 22B that was here in the states for magazine testing until it was destroyed. Now THAT is sad.
QFT.

*pours one out for the homies*
Old 02-19-2007, 11:46 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
blahblahblah... All our cars are just cars. Some cars are nicer than other but, in the end, they are all just cars...blahblahblah

Bill
By the same notion, a woman is merely a receptacle for my seed.
So why bother looking for the most bestest receptacle for my seed?

Why do us men do 90% of **** that we do just to attract a "suitable" mate when a Rosie O'Donnel would do just fine in baking my seed into a demon?
Old 02-19-2007, 12:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
By the same notion, a woman is merely a receptacle for my seed.
So why bother looking for the most bestest receptacle for my seed?

Why do us men do 90% of **** that we do just to attract a "suitable" mate when a Rosie O'Donnel would do just fine in baking my seed into a demon?

LOL, Paul, you're wisdom is beyond your years.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:04 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!

I totally missed the point of this entire thread. I don't care for Skylines and fail to see why anyone else likes them. I will just ignore everyone's reasons for admiring that car. I don't understand why I'm on a car forum and knocking peoples affinity for anything other than a Subaru.

Bill
I like the way I worded it better.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:07 PM

You guys are funny.

Tell me, other than the fact that you can't get it here, what makes the skyline this super "demigod status," type car? There are other cars that can match it's performance for much less. Heck, I can out-perform it on the track in a fox body mustang with some decent suspension, motor and tire for substantially less. My point is, that yes, it may be a nice car but, I don't see why it should be any more special than any other car out there. It isn't some rare limited production Ferrari or Lambo now. It's a freaking Nissan for God's sake.

Paul, entertaining but, not quite the same. I don't pay for women and I hope that my woman doesn't loose nearly the "value" that my car will loose over the next few years. ; )

I admire cars. I still have my very first car. It's a pristine 67 mustang coupe that I have no problem cutting up to turn into an all out track car. It's in pieces now and will run some day under it's own power but, in the end, most cars will be reincarnated into a can for my beer. And that is a fact.

Quick Reply: You don't want to see these....