Yet another SF bright idea...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
Yet another SF bright idea...

Call it sanctuary on wheels: San Francisco is about to give a big break to people, many of them illegal immigrants, who are caught driving without a license.

Beginning Sunday, cops will no longer impound cars the first time drivers are pulled over without a license.

The reason: Many such drivers are in the United States illegally - and thus unable to get a license - and the officials pushing the change think that impounding their cars is an unfair hardship.

Instead, unlicensed drivers will be given 20 minutes to phone a relative or other acquaintance with a valid license and insurance to pick up the car. If the driver doesn't have a cell phone, police will help him contact someone.

If no one shows up, then the cop is to call a supervisor to approve the tow.

A second offense within six months means an automatic tow. But, for those who stay clean for half a year, the clock starts over.

The change means San Francisco will be far more accommodating to unlicensed drivers than police in Oakland, San Jose and even lefty Berkeley. Cops in all those cities impound the cars of people driving illegally.

Recently installed Police Chief George Gascón said San Francisco is "trying to be sensitive to all of the communities we serve."

"We recognize that this is a problem within the Hispanic community, where people working here can't get a driver's license because of their immigration status," Gascón said.

The 30-day car impounds have long been a sore point with the city's Latino politicos and activists, who feel the practice is unfair.

Some police officers we spoke with, however, said people without licenses are often lousy drivers - and that the change means more dangerous streets for everyone else.

"These are the same people who are sailing through stop signs and injuring people," said one traffic cop who asked not to be named for fear of retribution.

Gascón emphasized that unlicensed drivers "will still be cited. If they don't learn their lesson and repeat offend, the car will be impounded."

The chief said the change was already in the works when he came to town at the end of July. He said it had sprung from conversations between Mayor Gavin Newsom, Supervisor David Campos - who arrived here illegally from Guatemala at age 14 - and former Police Chief Heather Fong.

Newsom spokesman Nathan Ballard - whose boss is refusing to implement Campos-backed legislation barring the city from turning over illegal immigrant youths to the feds if they haven't been convicted of a felony - confirmed that when it comes to giving unlicensed drivers a break, the mayor and the supe agree.

"On this one, we're all on the same page," Ballard said.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0V4loN6OV

So not only do illegals get healthcare in this city, and are allowed to roam free after they are arrested so that they can murder people, but now they get a free pass to break another CA law? So if I happen to be driving around a vehicle with liability only (not that I would), and some illegal unlicensed driver rear ends me, I have to pay for that fool's mistake? And nothing happens to them? This city is a bloody joke. I should pay for a billboard down in L.A. to tell all illegals to move to SF cause you will get hooked the **** up!
Old 10-26-2009, 02:13 PM

Car Info: .
SF is god damn hellhole.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
lame.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:47 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
What the Deuce is wrong with that city? Freakin' retarded to let people who are driving illegally NOT have their car impounded.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:54 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by herrjr
So not only do illegals get healthcare in this city, and are allowed to roam free after they are arrested so that they can murder people, but now they get a free pass to break another CA law? So if I happen to be driving around a vehicle with liability only (not that I would), and some illegal unlicensed driver rear ends me, I have to pay for that fool's mistake? And nothing happens to them? This city is a bloody joke. I should pay for a billboard down in L.A. to tell all illegals to move to SF cause you will get hooked the **** up!
already did it

free health care

you can drive here w/0 a license
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
SF is god damn hellhole.
yes it is i ahve proof!

thank you SF for making LA not look as dumb we just moved up a notch
Old 10-26-2009, 03:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
^ Damn Villa! He should stick to just banging Telemundo newscasters.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Old 10-26-2009, 03:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
So when the uninsured unlicensed driver hits and kills someone they have 20 minutes to call someone?
Old 10-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by nic3krnnamja83
So when the uninsured unlicensed driver hits and kills someone they have 20 minutes to call someone?
Old 10-26-2009, 03:43 PM
9 to 5 mod

HAHHHAHHA

call up city call and ask
Old 10-26-2009, 03:45 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
so if an immigrant does something illegally in this country they should pay right?

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...highlight=huck
Old 10-26-2009, 03:54 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by turfshark
so if an immigrant does something illegally in this country they should pay right?

hell yes!
Old 10-26-2009, 04:26 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by sigma pi
HAHHHAHHA

call up city call and ask

Well on top of that, they have year and half to not kill someone again, and they start the count over. So in all technicality, they can kill someone every 18 months.

Oh and lets screw out the people who are insured, when they get into an accident with someone not licensed (which equals to not insured), great idea America! I should run for Mayor of SF. Let us cater to non-Americans in America. I'm not trying to be racist or ignorant, but we do live in a country with rules and rights. My mom is not a U.S. citizen but i don't tell her to go around doing illegal stuff.

Last edited by nic3krnnamja83; 10-26-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:32 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by turfshark

if anyone does anything illegal they should pay! If caught of course, because we all do things illegal
Old 10-26-2009, 07:45 PM
9 to 5 mod

Well on top of that, they have year and half to not kill someone again, and they start the count over. So in all technicality, they can kill someone every 18 months.

Oh and lets screw out the people who are insured, when they get into an accident with someone not licensed (which equals to not insured), great idea America! I should run for Mayor of SF. Let us cater to non-Americans in America. I'm not trying to be racist or ignorant, but we do live in a country with rules and rights. My mom is not a U.S. citizen but i don't tell her to go around doing illegal stuff.
yeah the house of rep. from SF is great too

makes me want to sink the city lol

Quick Reply: Yet another SF bright idea...