View Poll Results: Which would you take PS3 or Xbox?
Xbox
45.00%
PS3
55.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

XBOX or PS3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 11:06 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Question XBOX or PS3?

I'm finally gonna break down and buy a game console...
So what will it be PS3 or Xbox, and why?

Additional Info:
I've been doing PC Gaming for years, some online but not dedicated. In general I tend to like the FPS games like Modern Warfare, but also really enjoyed Resident Evil, Mass Effect 2, Deus Ex...

I already own a Wii, but I think it's a little underpowered, frankly I think the interface is only used properly on a few games.

The PC is fun, but it's getting old. Between the costs of a new PC that's built for gaming, and the fact that the online games are rife with cheaters... well a console makes sense.
I do not own a BlueRay player, but I also don't own an HD TV so it's not really a priority

Any games for Xbox I can't get on PS3 I should really worry about and vice-versa

Last edited by Lowend; 10-29-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:10 PM

Car Info: 1993.5 toyota supra, 05 AW Sti
If you want to play games get an xbox if you want to watch blue ray movies get a ps3 thats what i did =p
Old 10-28-2011, 11:16 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
imo xbox. People will say ps3 cus of blueray and free wifi, but the servers are terrible. Personally i think PS3 is mostly for single player based games and xbox is for multiplayer games
Old 10-28-2011, 11:24 PM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
If you don't have a blu-ray player already, I would say get the PS3. Online play is a free service too.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 PM

Car Info: "Shadow"
Hey i'll sell you my PS3, just search my thread for all of the details. Imho the XBOX is garbage, i used to work at a service center and that's mainly what would always come in to get fixed (infamous red ring of death). The ratio of PS3/Wii to XBOX was ridiculous man, the chips inside are too ****ing big and they melt together from overheating. Very bad design flaw that Microsoft never fixed, even the redesigned newer black shiny ones still have that problem. It's just a matter of time before it breaks on you, trust me. I've had my PS3 for awhile now and it runs perfectly, no problems whatsoever! The PS3 is like a whole entertainment machine that can do it all, you def get your money's worth owning one.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:55 PM

Car Info: 1993.5 toyota supra, 05 AW Sti
Originally Posted by STiWRX06
Hey i'll sell you my PS3, just search my thread for all of the details. Imho the XBOX is garbage, i used to work at a service center and that's mainly what would always come in to get fixed (infamous red ring of death). The ratio of PS3/Wii to XBOX was ridiculous man, the chips inside are too ****ing big and they melt together from overheating. Very bad design flaw that Microsoft never fixed, even the redesigned newer black shiny ones still have that problem. It's just a matter of time before it breaks on you, trust me. I've had my PS3 for awhile now and it runs perfectly, no problems whatsoever! The PS3 is like a whole entertainment machine that can do it all, you def get your money's worth owning one.
i have had my halo 3 xbox since it came out no problems whatsoever, 2 other friends also no problems my gf has a redesigned new black shiny one, no problems at all. Ps3 ppl use that as an excuse to try to make it sound better than xbox, as the comment before said if you want a online multiplayer console get xbox for single player games and movies ps3.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:09 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Ive had my xbox 360 slim since it came out and have had ZERO problems with it.

and you dont have to worry about anonymous hacking the network and it being down for weeks
Old 10-29-2011, 12:09 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Originally Posted by 06stibeast
i have had my halo 3 xbox since it came out no problems whatsoever, 2 other friends also no problems my gf has a redesigned new black shiny one, no problems at all. Ps3 ppl use that as an excuse to try to make it sound better than xbox, as the comment before said if you want a online multiplayer console get xbox for single player games and movies ps3.
+1

I've had my 360 for over 4 years with no problems.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:27 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi
This thread is just asking to turn into a worthless argument. If you're into playing games you don't choose between one or the other... you get both. At the price these two sell for you might as well have both. Why play Halo or God of War when you could play both?

Everyone knows the xbox360 is a pos. It always has been and probably always will b/c no matter how many of them break people are still dumb enough to keep buying them. I have both the XBOX and the PS3. I have spent numerous hours on both. The argument about the xbox live servers being better is a moot point now... xbox owners will always use this to justify the fact they are paying money per month for a subscription to play games online against "real" gamers. I have had my original xbox360 prior to the release of Gears of War and I have had no problems... but for as many stories as you see above of people not having problems... there are literally hundreds/thousands of people who get screwed over by microsoft. The numbers don't lie... PS3 has less hardware problems than XBOX360 hands down.

A lot of people are converting to the ps3 b/c of the blu ray players and lets face it... as we get older some of us don't play as much games as much as we used to. For me this isn't true lol... but I can't see a reason to not buy the ps3 from your standpoint. If you don't already own a gaming console you obviously don't play any kind of games on a normal basis unless u have a PC. I wonder if Microsoft offered the ability to play blu ray movies on their console, would charge the users a monthly fee to watch movies?

My suggestion is you should borrow a friend's xbox360 for a week and then borrow a friend's PS3 for a week. Try it out and see which one you prefer. Just don't forget the basic facts about each console and make a decision based upon your intended usage. I'm a dedicated PS3 user (previously xbox live user) now and have had zero problems with my FREE online gameplay. Converting people to PS3 isn't really necessary, once you get burned by microsoft the PS3 sells itself.

these types of threads are great b/c they stir up lots of emotion. I will start a bunch like EVO or STi... LCD or LED... Revolver or Semi Automatic... Mcdonalds or Burger King =)

Now I'll leave this topic alone until someone comes by to flame the PS3 or the XBOX with unlimited misinformation =) Good luck w/ your shopping.

Last edited by david240z; 10-29-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:49 AM
Identifier of i-Club members

Car Info: 2009 wrx
^^^couldnt have said it better
Old 10-29-2011, 03:23 AM

Car Info: Smokin' Joe
Don't get a PS3 for a blu ray player. Just get a blu ray player for that. My first xbox...yeah it got the RROD. The refurb they sent me...no problems at all. my first ps3 (the wonderful 60GB model) stopped working and I had to get a new lesser 80GB model.

The hardware in the xbox...its not as sucky as some might say.. it may be loud.. but it works just fine. the network is awesome, and yes, worth the 50 bucks. broken down thats 4.17 a month. if you smoke less cigarettes a day you could easily finance that.

The ps3..its so pretty and shiny.. the hardware, i've known more people that have had paper weight ps3s than xboxs. for one thing.. microsoft knew of the problem and gave customers a 3 year warranty. I'm lucky I bought the warranty through best buy so I could return my crap ps3 and get a crappier 80gb ps3. and forget trying to play a quick game.. i swear.. they update their firmware every 4 hours! and those downloads and installs take about 5-10 minutes to finish. by the time they are done.. I don't even feel like playing anymore! Another thing.. I was playing a game and was told that my save file was corrupt! a friend of mine.. same thing happened to him in the same game! however, that never happened on the xbox version of that same game.

And why shouldn't you buy a ps3 to use as a blu ray player? Well, this may not apply to the PS3, but I had a buddy who had a PS2. When his ps2 crashed, Sony told him that he shouldn't be using it as a dvd player (long story short). Perhaps the PS3 shouldn't be used as a Blu ray player? Well, my ps3 stopped working in the middle of a blu ray.

As far as games, there are only a few games I get on PS3. And those would be the PS3 specific titles. Infamous is actually the only one (great game btw). Any time there is a ps3 version and an xbox version.. I opt for the xbox version.

at this point I'm really starting to wonder why I even still have a ps3 haha
Old 10-29-2011, 08:47 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Just added some additional info in the OP
Old 10-29-2011, 08:52 AM

Car Info: 1969 Camaro RS & 2004 STI
Gears of war 1,2,3
Old 10-29-2011, 08:58 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi
The additional info in your OP is helpful. Well I have hopes that Diablo 3 will release at some point in the next lifetime and so I already jumped on the gun on that and built a gaming PC. lol.

If you are fully dedicated to FPS and you play competitively online why not stick w/ the PC? PC isn't limited by the constraints of what microsoft or sony or your television can handle. Plus as many will tell you and u probably already know when playing FPS I don't care how legit someone is with a toggle/analog stick... nothing can beat the speed and precision of a mouse in the right hands =)

I hear what you're saying about the people online who cheat in the PC gaming community... lets face it, its all too easy. You have to understand that for as many cheaters you run into there, you'll see a bunch of people doing annoying stuff no matter where you go. XBOX live has the babies (literally babies who get out of daycare and come home to play), XBOX and PS3 both have the KDR ******, and all consoles will have the annoying super loud music over the mic screaming in the background making the usage of the Mute button the most effective one in the game =\

I change my original recommendation to this: Find out which game console most of your friends have and then find out how often. Its always more fun to play with people you know, unless they are all garbage and you guys can never win... but hey at least you'll lose together right? Some of my buddies no longer play with a select group of our friends b/c they know they aren't good enough and they also prefer not to take a lot of crap the next day at work or the following weekend lol.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:13 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
I think the Xbox exclusives are better than the PS3 exclusives...

I love my Xbox because of Forza. Pretty much all I play.

I have had my 360 since launch back in 2005. In that time it has RRoD'd 4 times.

1st time, it was out of warranty but I still sent it to Microsoft. Paid out the *** and they fixed it. Few months later Microsoft extended the warranty and refunded my money.

2nd time, very out of warranty. One of my close friends had gotten into repairing Xboxes so I sent it his way and he fixed it for me.

3rd time, couple friends helped me diagnose the problem and I fixed it myself.

4th time, same problem as #3. I fixed it again but using a different technique.

It feels really solid now. However I still want to put a bullet through the damn thing. But, as ****ty as this thing has been, I would still go out and get another Xbox. I have played on a PS3, one of my old roommates had a PS3, I have absolutely zero desire to ever own a PS3.

Quick Reply: XBOX or PS3?