X Games claims it's first

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:00 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Wait what? Sports weren't invented until 1927?

Pretty sure the Greek Olympic Games were going on in 776 B.C.

Didn't the Aztec's or Myans play soccer with people's heads? And their are Japanese cave drawings showing sumo wrestling and evidence of competition for sport going back like 15,000 years.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:01 PM
General Pimpin'

04... yeah the snowmobile guys are friggin nuts man. I can't even flip a bicycle let alone a 700 pound sled. ****s crazy.

And yeah... life is dangerous. Line drives suck. I remember I hit a kid in the ***** with a water balloon shot out of a water balloon launcher from about 30 feet. I think that kid wished he was dead.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:02 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon EJ25
Originally Posted by 04GG
Again, you just want to pick at irrelevant parts as opposed to what is being SAID. You know what I meant, so no need to be an asshat about it.
Im not picking, in both responses I addressed your main issue. You said if it isnt televised or a big production it isnt a sport, thats a bull**** blanketing statement.

Heres the official international definition of a sport

" -have an element of competition
-be in no way harmful to any living creature
-not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier
-not rely on any 'luck' element specifically designed in to the sport"

Nowhere does it say anything about television or sponsors.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Wait what? Sports weren't invented until 1927?

Pretty sure the Greek Olympic Games were going on in 776 B.C.

Didn't the Aztec's or Myans play soccer with people's heads? And their are Japanese cave drawings showing sumo wrestling and evidence of competition for sport going back like 15,000 years.
No dude the TV wasnt invented yet, its impossible.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:09 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by runboyrun
Im not picking, in both responses I addressed your main issue. You said if it isnt televised or a big production it isnt a sport, thats a bull**** blanketing statement.

Heres the official international definition of a sport

" -have an element of competition
-be in no way harmful to any living creature
-not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier
-not rely on any 'luck' element specifically designed in to the sport"

Nowhere does it say anything about television or sponsors.
So you are saying there was a sport known as back flipping a snowmobile PRIOR to the X-Games? Sure looked like a bunch of sponsor stickers on his snow mobile to me. That's how sports are these days: they are an industry.

NO, you didn't address what I said. TV is maybe the wrong example, but TV is what they are after with something like this: viewers, people who will attend and spend money. THE POINT is it is a SPECTACLE the way it is presented, whether people are watching on TV or there in person does not matter. Would this guy have been doing that if X-Games did not exist? Maybe, but maybe he wouldn't have pushed it to the point where it actually killed him if nobody turned it into an event that people came to watch.

Last edited by 04GG; 01-31-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:29 PM

So you are saying there was a sport known as back flipping a snowmobile PRIOR to the X-Games? Sure looked like a bunch of sponsor stickers on his snow mobile to me. That's how sports are these days: they are an industry.

NO, you didn't address what I said. TV is maybe the wrong example, but TV is what they are after with something like this: viewers, people who will attend and spend money. THE POINT is it is a SPECTACLE the way it is presented, whether people are watching on TV or there in person does not matter. Would this guy have been doing that if X-Games did not exist? Maybe, but maybe he wouldn't have pushed it to the point where it actually killed him if nobody turned it into an event that people came to watch.
Im sure people have been 1-uping eachother doing tricks on snowmobiles years before the XGames was even invented. Whether it be how big of a jump they go off of or how many body parts they can remove from the vehicle. The backflip was just a natural progression of competition that happens to be captured during the X-Games.

You cant say MAYBE he would have been doing backflips in your argument, and then say XGames caused his death. He has been doing backflips on snowmobiles for years.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by runboyrun
You cant say MAYBE he would have been doing backflips in your argument, and then say XGames caused his death. He has been doing backflips on snowmobiles for years.
You just like to argue for the sake of arguing. So he was doing it for years and he could have died regardless of the x-games, but he could have died by slipping in the shower or from cancer. Do you have a point or not?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
All of the guys in the action sports are going so big now that this is going to become a more common occurrence. When you are doing tricks (esp flips and spins) over 60-130+ foot jumps, whether is be on skis, snowboard, snowmobile, MX bike, skate board, BMX, anything you are assuming the risks of what could happen.

Every one knows, especially the participants, what could happen when you mess up hucking a back flip on a snowmobile. They make the choice to go out and do it.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 PM

You just like to argue for the sake of arguing. So he was doing it for years and he could have died regardless of the x-games, but he could have died by slipping in the shower or from cancer. Do you have a point or not?
I already stated my point, that it is a sport, and it was his decision to compete and push the limits.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 PM

Car Info: 03 bucket stage 11/32
brutal, I was watching it on tv when he crashed. I seriously thought he broke his back/was paralyzed but then he got up and walked off the course with help. Actually surprised it took this long for someone to pass, but its a risk everyone into any sort of dangerous activity understands they are taking.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:26 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
May he Rest in peace!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:41 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
RIP prayers out for anyone in his family or close to him.

Standards of safety these days?

Let people do what they want to do as long as it's not endangering other people because of your own actions to yourself. If he hit someone due to the stunt I say okay maybe change it but it's like saying you nut on your handle bars on a half pipe and people change the rules because you lost your nads....

It's like me saying fin designs have to change because I had to get 7 stitches in my leg, but guess what I still surf
Old 02-01-2013, 08:39 AM
General Pimpin'

Heedz... all that means is you were too slow... GTFOTW!!!! LOL....

Yeah my only beef was with the dude that thought he could put in 4 hours on a snowmobile and go compete against guys that ride them every damn day then damn near killed a bunch of people and jacked up some kids knee. Those are the guys that I'm like... man... gtfo.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Honestly I'm surprised it took this long.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by irrational x
Honestly I'm surprised it took this long.
Me too. Especially with snow mobiles. You're talking about 700 pounds flipping around in the air and bouncing all over the place. Those things are deadly when you're just riding them.

I honestly don't think it will be the last major injury or death. People are going to have to get used to seeing it as things get bigger and bigger.

Look at Chad busting his femur. That was gnar. And Jake Brown. That bail was crazy. I don't know how the hell he didn't end up worse. Bob Burnquist went down. Etc. There's been some bad ones. People have just been really lucky.

Quick Reply: X Games claims it's first