WWYD: Civil neighbor property damage situation

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:20 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Submit this to Judge Judy or another small claims TV show. Sounds like you have a case.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:06 PM

Car Info: 2017 Limited Edition BRZ
Originally Posted by subie OCD
Submit this to Judge Judy or another small claims TV show. Sounds like you have a case.
+1 Would love to see this on tv LOL make sure to post the video up if you make it on Judge Judy!! One of our own on tv.. yupp that'll be a good show

Good luck with everything. I would hate to be you and if I was you, good things would not come about for that neighbor
Old 01-05-2010, 07:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Another update: The vehicle owner filed the small-claims case and both parties were served. A day later the neighbor's insurance contacted the vehicle owner but I am not sure if it's proceeding. The car has not moved, and the damage is still very evident.

The carport is back in full effect, with the roof tarp back on it. The guy has added some small metal brackets and such which he has screwed to the building. The landlord has requested that he take it down, but he still will not. The city has been by again and informed him that it is illegal and needs to come down.

I got a final message from the city yesterday when I asked if there was any way to follow up. Apparently a guy from the city came out here a couple days ago, talked to the neighbor, and now says that there are "relationship issues" with "both parties" and provided a link to a conflict resolution service. He also took the time to mention that the city does not have time for my issue and issues like this, so that is that.

Pretty crazy... I tried to speak to the guy last week about it because someone apparently bumped into the carport now and bent a pole, so he has placed a sign facing our parking spot that says "YOU BENT MY POLE!!!" I wanted to ask him about it as I felt that had gone far enough. He said several things insinuating that myself or my wife could have been the only people to hit the pole and warned me that I better not touch the sign. He moved into a sort of victim mode and whined: "why are you blaming all of this on me" which I don't quite understand. He has been going across the street (a business) and telling them distasteful things about me, trying to make it sound like he is a victim somehow even though when asked by 3 different people now he cannot say one thing we have done to him/them. All we wanted was for him to secure the carport, and then when he didn't and it caused damage to be responsible for the damage. That's it.

So, we are looking for a new place to live ASAP. It's going to be hard, but it will be worth it to not have to be around this guy and his little evil raincloud. The most disappointing part of the whole thing is the San Carlos Police Department and the San Carlos Building Department. Pretty sad to know that in a situation like this, there really is NOTHING you can do about it. Legally.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:21 AM

Car Info: 91 legacy, 87 mr2, 17 forester xt
that sucks wombatsauce.....

sucks that the dude won't do anything about it.

sucks that the city isn't doing anything about it. this does sound like it'll have to be resolved via court
Old 01-05-2010, 11:57 AM

Car Info: 12 STi
international_b is renting out a house...
Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 PM
VIP Member

GET THIS. In response to the small claims case the owner of the vehicle filed against this fellow, he is COUNTER SUING both me and the owner of the car, claiming $1500 in damages and stating that I harass him every day among other things. All of it is false and made up.

This is so sad...

I guess it's time to put the Coupe project on hold and get a lawyer. I cannot believe people.... So sad. All we ever asked was that he just leave us alone...
Old 01-26-2010, 08:14 PM
VIP Member

Also.. I spoke to the landlord. He can refute most of the claims on this document (there are 14!!!) but he flatly refuses to "get in the middle." Not sure what to do with that one, even though I wouldn't want to either if I were him.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:58 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
ugh, I hope this guy gets swift justice, and gets hit by a bus. Best of luck to you.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:39 PM

Car Info: WRX 2002
take some pictures i want to see!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:48 PM
VIP Member

This is so crazy.... Can't even believe it. After everything we have dealt with as a direct result of this person's actions... Now he is suing us and claiming damages, as well as that myself and my wife (of all people, quiet like a mouse) have been harassing him since day one, hurting his business, etc. I wish it didn't affect us, wish we could let it not bother us.. but.. It does.

Last edited by wombatsauce; 01-27-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:48 PM

Car Info: RWD Camry
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
GET THIS. In response to the small claims case the owner of the vehicle filed against this fellow, he is COUNTER SUING both me and the owner of the car, claiming $1500 in damages and stating that I harass him every day among other things. All of it is false and made up.

This is so sad...

I guess it's time to put the Coupe project on hold and get a lawyer. I cannot believe people.... So sad. All we ever asked was that he just leave us alone...
wow, what a stubborn fool. Good luck with the case, although I doubt you'd need it.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:53 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by chochocho
that sucks wombatsauce.....

sucks that the dude won't do anything about it.

sucks that the city isn't doing anything about it. this does sound like it'll have to be resolved via court
Yeah, the city was pretty worthless sadly, but at least they didn't threaten me like the police did. The city guy sent me a final note saying he went out and talked to the guy, that the carport is DEFINITELY ILLEGAL but they don't have the time to do anything about it right now and I should mention it to my landlord.... WOW!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:57 AM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Jacob

I myself had a situation almost the same as yours.. And well, your friend is pretty SOL.. The tarp and feet that caused damage to the car is due to "an act of nature"

The landlord, tenant, and who ever else has anything to do with the tarp have no legal obligation. Business insurance as well as home owners insurance won't cover "an act of nature" either...
Old 01-27-2010, 01:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Yeah, the city was pretty worthless sadly, but at least they didn't threaten me like the police did. The city guy sent me a final note saying he went out and talked to the guy, that the carport is DEFINITELY ILLEGAL but they don't have the time to do anything about it right now and I should mention it to my landlord.... WOW!
So they have time to go out and look at it, but not enough time while they are out there looking at it in the first place to tell the guy that it is illegal and must be taken down?

"Sir, I am from the city and am informing you that this structure is a safety hazard and is illegal. It must be removed immediately." How long does that take to say?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:02 AM
VIP Member

This is so sad...

Last edited by wombatsauce; 01-27-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: WWYD: Civil neighbor property damage situation