Is it wrong to use hella horns to say hi to fellow I-cluber?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:07 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Originally Posted by Gibz
Aftermarket horns provide a louder, and often more pleasant sound than stock horns. Stock horns typically have an output of 97 dB. The decibel scale is logarithmic and therefore the sound pressure doubles for every increase of 3 points, i. E. A horn with 118 dB is approximately seven times as loud as a stock horn.
I'd have to argue this attribute. To me this is the same as bench pressing 97lbs and then to 118lbs. The difference is kinda noticeable, but it surely isn't 7 times as great.

Same thing with listening to loud music. If the notch is already at say on a scale of 1-50, at 45, and you move it to 47, I doubt the increase is that noticeable at that loud of level. 118 to 97 is significant enough to be heard a lot easier, but I seriously doubt that it's 7X greater than a regular horn.

Measuring the multiple factors of something like that probably isn't an accurate measurement to say it's 7X greater. If it was length of something, then obviously that provides a simpler answer, but for noise and sound, I don't think so.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
hella honking when someone is under the hood IS NOT COOL.
i get heated for no reason real quick by sudden loud noises.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:13 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Originally Posted by Jin
hella honking when someone is under the hood IS NOT COOL.
i get heated for no reason real quick by sudden loud noises.
It's annoying having high schoolers n' stuff rev n' speed by while ur doin somethin with the car. had it happen before, annoying.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:25 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
argue all you want.. i just copy and pasted it from when i looked up hella horns.

Originally Posted by iLoqin
I'd have to argue this attribute. To me this is the same as bench pressing 97lbs and then to 118lbs. The difference is kinda noticeable, but it surely isn't 7 times as great.

Same thing with listening to loud music. If the notch is already at say on a scale of 1-50, at 45, and you move it to 47, I doubt the increase is that noticeable at that loud of level. 118 to 97 is significant enough to be heard a lot easier, but I seriously doubt that it's 7X greater than a regular horn.

Measuring the multiple factors of something like that probably isn't an accurate measurement to say it's 7X greater. If it was length of something, then obviously that provides a simpler answer, but for noise and sound, I don't think so.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
i use my siren and PA
Old 06-05-2009, 03:52 PM

Car Info: 03 Evo 8
I do the "hella blast" to people all the time to say hi why buy $70 horns and not use them
Old 06-05-2009, 04:05 PM

Car Info: '04 ed tuned vf39 jbp wagon
Originally Posted by Gibz
Specification:
Horn Type: Disc Horn
Model: Twin Super Tone
Product No. : 3AG 003 399 801
Voltage: 12V
Power Consumption: 2 x 66W
Frequency: 500 Hz (High Tone) , 300 Hz (Low Tone)
Sound Level at 2 meters: 118 dB
Construction: Rugged Black Body with Red Protective Grille
Mounting: Bracket for Screw Mounting
Connection: Flat Plug
Dimension: 4-7 / 8" (124mm) Dia x 2-11 / 32" (60mm) Thickness
Weight: 1. 05 KG including Gift Box.

Hella Twin Super Tone Horn Kit Consisted of:
- 2 Disc Type Horn
- 1 Relay 12V 30A 4 Pin, 4RA 965 400 00
- 2 Mounting Brackets
- Installation Instruction at the top of Box

Aftermarket horns provide a louder, and often more pleasant sound than stock horns. Stock horns typically have an output of 97 dB. The decibel scale is logarithmic and therefore the sound pressure doubles for every increase of 3 points, i. E. A horn with 118 dB is approximately seven times as loud as a stock horn.
Originally Posted by iLoqin

this is commonly known college...she copied and pasted the troof!

...i'll try to find something for ya to read up...

Wikipedia:
When referring to measurements of power or intensity, a ratio can be expressed in decibels by evaluating ten times the base-10 logarithm of the ratio of the measured quantity to the reference level. Thus, if L represents the ratio of a power value P1 to another power value P0, then LdB represents that ratio expressed in decibels and is calculated using the formula:
It's commonly used to say the loudness of something when usually people are talking about power.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
I dunno, I don't think the supertones are THAT crazy... Equivalent to some truck horn or something... Nothing as crazy as people make them sound. *shrugs*
Old 06-05-2009, 06:14 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
2 arent enough for me. i plan to get another pair and mount them up. MUWHAHHAHHAHA yall know when its me when i roll by.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:32 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
mike you should get a train horn.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:23 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
^ i was thinking about gettin air horns, but they are too big to mount in my car lol. probably gotta mount them under my car or something and have the compressor in my trunk. that just sounds like a lot of work to me.......

i was thinking of crazy ideas and kinda want to fab a set for the rear facing behind me, so i can honk at ppl who tail gate or have their hi beams on.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:19 AM

Car Info: 2006 Impreza
Arrow

Yeah sure why not?

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
but why does it have to be a "tuned" suby lol... i waved to all wrx/STi (unless its a car ive previously waved to and was shot down)
I do it to all Subie owners you name it Baja, Justy, B9, Legacy, Outback... Hell some old people with wrx/sti's don't even know about the "wave" but I honk and give them the wave anyway.

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
^ i was thinking about gettin air horns, but they are too big to mount in my car lol. probably gotta mount them under my car or something and have the compressor in my trunk. that just sounds like a lot of work to me.......

i was thinking of crazy ideas and kinda want to fab a set for the rear facing behind me, so i can honk at ppl who tail gate or have their hi beams on.

hahah I was thinking the same! Have you seen youtube video of some dudes cruising around and using air horn on unsuspecting bystanders?! It's funny as **** :P

I have to look for it:

Here you go but it's even better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQpa8...om=PL&index=25

1:06-1:28
2:04-2:09 mofuggin THUD

Last edited by SiR-ed8; 06-06-2009 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:08 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
And so it was decided... I shall have a train horn.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:25 AM

Car Info: 2006 Impreza
Arrow

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
And so it was decided... I shall have a train horn.
Quoted before the edit

Don't want you to back out now :P
Old 06-06-2009, 07:00 AM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
I have a train horn..so....be ready

Quick Reply: Is it wrong to use hella horns to say hi to fellow I-cluber?