Is it worth selling used/older computer gear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:42 AM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Is it worth selling used/older computer gear?

Going off the title, is it worth it? With technology getting cheaper and cheaper and better and better as time goes on, is it even worth it to sell our previous year computers? I've been thinking about selling my laptop for some time now, and I know I'll take a loss on it, but say I do put it up for sale. Am I going to be taking that big of a loss that selling it won't really be worth it? I've had friends that were interested in buying it but I'm honest with them and tell them they can pick up something brand new for about the price I'd sell my laptop for.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:11 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Car-puter, imo
Old 02-02-2010, 01:19 AM

^^That's something I've been thinking about doing. Major blow about that is that my car isn't running so won't get much out of it
Old 02-02-2010, 02:28 AM
jic

Car Info: 98 2.5rs/94 rx7/04 mazda6/06 audi s4/12 GT-R
u can only get a few bucks out of old computer stuff
might as well try to play around with it. or use it as a garage computer
Old 02-02-2010, 03:05 AM

no best to give to a family or someone who needs it and get some satisfaction that way out of it. I set my aunt up with a new machine etc... and she was convinced someone wanted her old turd gateway. Even called her friend who runs a computer program for seniors. He had zero desire lol.

Best thing I've seen done is the following. My buddy formatted, reinstalled. Computer **** **** on him, so he called me to inform me he bashed it with a baseball bat. After work I cruised over and slammed on it. At first it seemed dumb, but then a deep desire and hate for all the times computers have frustrated me set in and I smashed it to bits.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:46 AM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
it makes sense to calculate out how often you buy new stuff. if you use it until it's pretty much worthless and you tend to buy higher priced items it might make sense to you to continually upgrade. figure out the typical annual depreciation, estimate a lifespan, multiply the two and see if it's more or less than what you'll end up paying for a brand new upgrade.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Wipe it, install a new OS, and donate it to a school.

You can use it as a MAJOR tax write off (for the value of the laptop, usually they leave this field blank and you fill in what you think it was worth, and of course everyone is always very honest when it comes to filling in the price. ). So you get a big tax break, you know that your computer is going to good use and allowing kids to learn on it... It's a win-win situation.

I would recommend an elementary school to donate to. They usually run very simple programs that don't require 3D modeling and stuff so an old laptop is perfect for them.

I used to work at the Learning Company which is the co that makes Reader Rabbit, Clue Finders (all childrens learning games), etc and they ran off the biggest POS computers on earth, so even if your setup is old, it's probably better than what they have.

Brookfield elementary in Oakland had 40 brand new state of the art computers stolen from their school last night. $30,000 worth of computers that WILL NOT BE REPLACED due to budget cuts are gone and the kids are **** out of luck. Why not donate your computer to them? They def need it REALLY badly. I'm thinking about fixing up my old unit to donate to that exact school.

Brookfield elementary school in Oakland:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...bay&id=7252054

(How screwed up is that? Stealing from an elementary school? I hope they catch these bastards and bring them to justice!)
Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
donate.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:41 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by brucelee
$30,000 worth of computers that WILL NOT BE REPLACED due
Flint said the stolen computers were insured and will be replaced as soon as possible. The estimated value of the stolen computers and other items is about $30,000.
I feel bad for the kids, but they're getting their computers back.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:53 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Keep it or donate it.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:17 AM

Yeah I'll most likely be donating it. My sister is graduating HS this year so thinking I might kick it down to her or to a school or organization that would need it.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:37 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
no best to give to a family or someone who needs it and get some satisfaction that way out of it. I set my aunt up with a new machine etc... and she was convinced someone wanted her old turd gateway. Even called her friend who runs a computer program for seniors. He had zero desire lol.

Best thing I've seen done is the following. My buddy formatted, reinstalled. Computer **** **** on him, so he called me to inform me he bashed it with a baseball bat. After work I cruised over and slammed on it. At first it seemed dumb, but then a deep desire and hate for all the times computers have frustrated me set in and I smashed it to bits.
Sounds like someone had a case of the Mondays.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
I had stripped the "good" parts off of like 15 desktops and just recycled them at the Smart Recycling center in Sunnyvale.

These were all Pentium II and III. I kept a few P4's for myself as spare garage computers and mounted an old small *** LCD. Found some old RAM to get an Optiplex GX280 to 1GB and BAM! running windows 7 32-bit pretty quick. Its nice to have AllData, ITunes, and IE available to use with greasy hands. The white Macbook was never cut out for that.

Name:  TueFeb02115955AmericaLos_Angeles201.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  82.6 KB
Old 02-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by Unit 91
I feel bad for the kids, but they're getting their computers back.
thats weird, earlier on the news it said that most likely they will not get them back.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by ScoobySon
I had stripped the "good" parts off of like 15 desktops and just recycled them at the Smart Recycling center in Sunnyvale.

These were all Pentium II and III. I kept a few P4's for myself as spare garage computers and mounted an old small *** LCD. Found some old RAM to get an Optiplex GX280 to 1GB and BAM! running windows 7 32-bit pretty quick. Its nice to have AllData, ITunes, and IE available to use with greasy hands. The white Macbook was never cut out for that.

Woah!

It never dawned on me to put a PC in the garage! It would definitely save the netbook or laptop from greasy hands.

I have an old p4 Mobo complete with ram. Problem is it's RDRAM :-( I have about 786Mb, think windows 7 will install anyways? It's enough for whatever I'm gonna use it for. Once the garage or shed is cleared out, I'm going to make a little station like that.

Last edited by joltdudeuc; 02-03-2010 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Is it worth selling used/older computer gear?