Worth getting SPT upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:48 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Worth getting SPT upgrades?

Specifically the SPT CBE and HFAI. I've done some searching and seen so much conflicting opinion that it'd be nice to hear some real-world info from someone. Is an upgrade like that only aesthetic or would there be some tangible change in power or responsiveness?

Also, (I think I already know the answer to this one), but with SPT parts can you get ticketed for modifications? Or are they ok because they come from the manufacturer and meet emission regulations?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:49 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx
as you know mark. I have the spt intake on my car. I love it. no negative effects whatsoever. it comes with the carb number so its totally legal to have. I even state reffed my car with it on, no problems. as far as power increase goes. i didnt notice too much. but I do think it helped me out when i got the protune. hearing the bpv is a plus.\
the spt catback is legal because its under the 95 db limit.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:56 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
I have both the SPT catback and the Intake.

The catback i got because i liked the sound, plus i figured since it's a subaru part, im less likely to get trouble. It's got a subtle looking tip, so it doesn't attract much attention. Performance wise, it's hard to say if i noticed a huge increase. It does have a 2.5" taper, which i got rid of when i got my high flow DP.

Intake is great for the sound as the above post mentions. Also, dont think i notice much of a difference here in performance. Haven't yet gotten a protune yet, so maybe it'll help when i do.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:04 PM

Car Info: .
Any catback under 95db is legal. SPT intake is just like any other SRI, but it is CARB exempt.

If you're not going to get a basic Stage 1 tune, then the SPT intake is fine, but if you want a tune to maximize your car without making it "ref worthy" then you may consider a AEM CAI as it is CARB exempt and tuners can squeeze a little extra power out with it.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:33 PM

I love you guys.

Not in a gay way -- in a Viking way.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:35 PM

Car Info: .
Old 04-07-2009, 12:41 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
I love you guys.

Not in a gay way -- in a Viking way.

But.. If you studied much history... There were a lot of gay vikings...
Old 04-07-2009, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ballz
but.. If you studied much history... There were a lot of gay vikings...
ssshhh!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:48 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
ssshhh!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:17 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Mark, here are my 2 cents regarding the SPT parts...my car came with the SPT exhaust, SPT short ram intake and heat shield from the factory. Unless you can get a REALLY good cheap deal I do not think these parts are worth it...here is why...

The exhaust is restrictive. As far as I know, it has the same back pressure (the muffler section for sure) as the OEM WRX exhaust to maintain the stock performance parameters. Is it better than stock? Yes (but not by much). Is it on par with other aftermarket exhausts? Hell no. IMHO think that's the only way dealers are able to sell it and warranty its since it really does not mess with the stock set up.

The SPT intake is nice, but it will end up being more for aesthetic and sound purposes than real performance. The intake is made out of cast iron, which means it will get MAD heat soak (especially w/o the heat shield) from long term or performance driving. The casting is also not the greatest/smoothest, so I think it introduces turbulence to the airflow. Obviously this will hurt your tune and performance. When I switched from the SPT intake to stock box with a filter on my 20G set up, I gained 10whp/10wtq and a MUCH better idle and smoothness because it was easier/more predictable to tune for and ran cooler/smoother. I am not sure about its limit, but I was already at 310whp/300wtq on GST dyno when that change happened. Plus, the times I had my hood popped, the cops still hassled me about the intake even thought I had the CARB sticker RIGHT NEXT to it.

Summary, you get what you pay for....SPT parts provide marginal gain, but do not void warranty or attract as much attention.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:20 PM

Yuri is included in the previous statement professing my Viking love.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:11 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
and you would know that

Originally Posted by Ballz
But.. If you studied much history... There were a lot of gay vikings...
Old 04-07-2009, 02:23 PM

Zing!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:25 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I think the SPT Is the same as any other under the hood intake... without the heat sheild it won't do much and without a tune your gains are minimal. I think it's a great component along with others for performance gains.

If you are warranty and legal concerned it's great as it's carb legal and doesn't void your warranty.

As for being a "looks" piece... I just don't get that. What kind of douche stands around with his hood open to show off his intake or anything for that matter. Only reason to be concerned with the looks of a performance pieces is on a show car and if you're showing a car it's much more likely that your intake will say ARC on it.

I like my intake and yes I did notice gains both in power and in gas mileage strangely enough.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
^+1
It's cast aluminum. CBE are just that CBE. If you want to free up ponies you need to change to downpipe. Even if you were to throw a high flow catted like a cobb with stock exhaust you'd free up HP. The SPT is a fine piece.

Quick Reply: Worth getting SPT upgrades?