Woman jailed for warning drivers of a speed trap

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:12 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Woman jailed for warning drivers of a speed trap

This is total BS, abuse of police power. Another "bad apple" case.

Texas Woman Arrested for Warning Drivers About Speed Trap - Yahoo!

A Houston woman's attempt to save drivers from a speeding ticket landed her something worse: 12 hours in jail.
As she rode her bicycle home from a grocery store last week near downtown Houston, Natalie Plummer noticed police officers pulling over speeders. After she parked her bike and turned one of her grocery bags into a makeshift sign warning drivers about the "speed trap" ahead, an officer drove up and arrested her.
"I was completely abiding by the law," Plummer told ABC's affiliate KRTK. "I was simply warning citizens of a situation ahead."
But Houston police saw it differently, and arrested Plummer for standing in the street where there a sidewalk was present, a misdemeanor charge.
Houston police spokeswoman Jodi Silva said that officers found Plummer standing in the street, waving her arms as she held the sign.
But Plummer denied ever leaving the sidewalk on West Dallas Street, alleging that the arresting officer invented a reason to detain her.
"He couldn't take me to jail for holding up this sign or he would have. So all he could do was make up something fake about it," Plummer told KRTK. The officer searched Plummer's backpack, she said, and threatened to arrest her for obstructing justice, a felony charge.
Michael Dirden, Houston's executive assistant police chief, said in a statement that if Plummer believes the police acted inappropriately, she should file a complaint with the department's internal affairs division.
After being held in jail for 12 hours, Plummer was released on bond, and will soon appear in court to face her misdemeanor charge.
While Plummer's method of alerting drivers to police activity might have been unprecedented, state laws covering such warnings are decades old. Their most common form, flashing headlights, is legal in some states but illegal in others.
Laws in New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia and Florida allow headlight flashing, while other states, such as Arizona and Alaska, forbid it. In Washington, drivers may be fined $124 for flashing their high beams within 400 feet of another vehicle for any reason. Other states forbid headlight flashing in some circumstances but not in others.
In Massachusetts, flashing car lights is not illegal, but it may result in an encounter with a police officer. If a driver says no when an officer asks whether headlights were flashed to warn drivers of a speed trap, the officer might ask if the motorist was driving with defective lights — which state law forbids.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:16 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Saw this. Totally B.S.

I heard about someone that got pulled over and got a ticket for flashing his lights to warn oncoming drivers.

To me it's like this... if you guys are going to set traps and sit around with the sole intention of writing tickets then we should be allowed to let people know what's coming.

Hell, I've seen the CHP on private property out in the fields by my house with their lights off waiting on people. 100% illegal.

I've seen them set traps with the planes before too. The CHP goes flying by which makes people go... oh sweet... and speed up. Then they pull off the highway while the plane up above follows the speeders and he pops back out and nails them. I watched them do this off 101. Hell one of the times I slowed down because I saw what they were doing... actually looked up and saw the plane. Tried to warn the mustang next to me. He took off. Got popped about 2 miles later.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:16 AM

Car Info: Teh Subie
I usually just give "the signal"

Old 06-29-2012, 10:27 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
^HAhahahahahahahahahaaaa!!!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:29 AM

Car Info: LEGACY L7 BD,GF8 WAGON
Originally Posted by STiForFun
I usually just give "the signal"

Lol I
Old 06-29-2012, 11:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Yea, I heard it was illegal in California to use your high beams to warn oncoming driver's of a speed trap. I'm not positive it is, it's just what I heard.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:15 AM

Car Info: '06 CGM STI
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Saw this. Totally B.S.

I heard about someone that got pulled over and got a ticket for flashing his lights to warn oncoming drivers.

To me it's like this... if you guys are going to set traps and sit around with the sole intention of writing tickets then we should be allowed to let people know what's coming.

Hell, I've seen the CHP on private property out in the fields by my house with their lights off waiting on people. 100% illegal.

I've seen them set traps with the planes before too. The CHP goes flying by which makes people go... oh sweet... and speed up. Then they pull off the highway while the plane up above follows the speeders and he pops back out and nails them. I watched them do this off 101. Hell one of the times I slowed down because I saw what they were doing... actually looked up and saw the plane. Tried to warn the mustang next to me. He took off. Got popped about 2 miles later.

I've commuted 580 back and forth to Tracy/Stockton/Etc. for 15 years. CHP has pretty-well cleaned up their act on 580 but, they run wild out in the valley. I was being paced by a plane on Mathews between Tracy and Lathrop and the only reason I knew and slowed down was because he passed by the sun and cast a shadow into my sunroof. I jammed on the brakes and about a mile up CHP was camped out in some ranch's driveway shooting me with his LIDAR cannon. He then followed me all the way to Lathrop and then turned around. Really douchey behavior out there.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:21 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
Yea, I heard it was illegal in California to use your high beams to warn oncoming driver's of a speed trap. I'm not positive it is, it's just what I heard.
I think what they do is what they do in other states... they put in a general law about using your high beams when another car is too close. Then they use that general law on you. It's not so much about warning... though I'd guess that they could use some kind of a law about blocking justice in the worst case...

B.S. if you ask me. I hate the CHP. There are way too many of them, they get paid too much and they do too little to actually increase the safety on the roads or lower illegal activity. It's purely a revenue generating operation 90% of the time.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:42 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
B.S. if you ask me. I hate the CHP. There are way too many of them, they get paid too much and they do too little to actually increase the safety on the roads or lower illegal activity. It's purely a revenue generating operation 90% of the time.
While I don't "hate" the CHP, I couldn't agree more with this statement. Pure revenue generation. Very little to do with public safety.

Also, while this was in Florida, the consequences of the ruling could have implications nation-wide:

Florida judge rules flashing lights for speed trap warning is covered under free speech

-Brian
Old 06-29-2012, 12:13 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
While I don't "hate" the CHP, I couldn't agree more with this statement. Pure revenue generation. Very little to do with public safety.

Also, while this was in Florida, the consequences of the ruling could have implications nation-wide:

Florida judge rules flashing lights for speed trap warning is covered under free speech

-Brian
It's one of those things that I'm sure if you fought it you could win anywhere. Especially now that there is a precedence.

And let me expand upon my chp thing. It's not the officers that I hate. I'm actually pretty friendly with them when I run into them at the coffee shop or whatever. Those guys have to be ******* every day of their lives. It can't be very rewarding. And some of them are good folks. They have to stand out in the rain to help people. Deal with first response on accidents. Etc. It's not all tickets. I just hate that there is so much budget put into it and there are so many of them. I am not kidding. My commute is about 16 miles and I see anywhere from 4-10 every day. It's retarded. I drive through a double fine zone so they hang out there to make money.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Speed traps are illegal in the state to begin with too.....

California Vehicle Code 40801 States

"No peace officer or other person shall use a speed trap in arresting, or participating or assisting in the arrest of, any person for any alleged violation of this code nor shall any speed trap be used in securing evidence as to the speed of any vehicle for the purpose of an arrest or prosecution under this code."
Old 06-29-2012, 01:20 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by Heedz
Speed traps are illegal in the state to begin with too.....

California Vehicle Code 40801 States

"No peace officer or other person shall use a speed trap in arresting, or participating or assisting in the arrest of, any person for any alleged violation of this code nor shall any speed trap be used in securing evidence as to the speed of any vehicle for the purpose of an arrest or prosecution under this code."
What constitutes a speed trap? The problem is this is completely up for interpretation.

Does that mean any time a cop is hanging out on the side of the road where it's impossible to see them until you're right on them a speed trap?

They do this ALL THE TIME; especially after blind crests or turns in the road.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Want to steal my car?
I get stabby!

Car Info: 05 Wrx Impreza
She's an attention wh0re if you ask me...if she was smart she would have made a sign and stick it in the ground instead of standing there like an idiot on the side of the road with her sign made of a paper lunch bag. be certain though if she was African American she would be locked up for disturbing the peace while in possession of a controlled substance while resisting arrest...

It makes me wonder how some of these Leos slip through the cracks during the hiring process. My friend got hired with a dept awhile ago, this guy would be the last person you would think of being a cop.He was very involved in the Asian gang life. Back in the day I've witnessed this guy cut off the pinky fingers of other gang members...now he's a cop lol how he passed the lie detector exam I don't know...
Old 06-29-2012, 04:18 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by Manny408
She's an attention wh0re if you ask me...if she was smart she would have made a sign and stick it in the ground instead of standing there like an idiot on the side of the road with her sign made of a paper lunch bag. be certain though if she was African American she would be locked up for disturbing the peace while in possession of a controlled substance while resisting arrest...

It makes me wonder how some of these Leos slip through the cracks during the hiring process. My friend got hired with a dept awhile ago, this guy would be the last person you would think of being a cop.He was very involved in the Asian gang life. Back in the day I've witnessed this guy cut off the pinky fingers of other gang members...now he's a cop lol how he passed the lie detector exam I don't know...
An LEO friend of mine told me before that 90% of guys that want to become cops are doing it for the power.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
What constitutes a speed trap? The problem is this is completely up for interpretation.

Does that mean any time a cop is hanging out on the side of the road where it's impossible to see them until you're right on them a speed trap?

They do this ALL THE TIME; especially after blind crests or turns in the road.
They have to show you proof that they caught you at that speed IE the Lidar or Radar gun. If not they have to pace you, if he was parked on the road and lit you up immediately, that gives them no room to pace. Stuff like that, certification to eye ball speeds.

Quick Reply: Woman jailed for warning drivers of a speed trap