Will an exhaust trade cause all this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:31 AM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Will an exhaust trade cause all this?

So, I need some advice out there, not really for me but for the guy I traded exhausts with. The trade was my Blitz Nur Spec Rx (quiet version of the R) for his Blitz Nur spec R (loud version). Well since Sunday evening I been getting calls and a pm stating..

"Hey man listen, can we please trade back. This really isn't working for me. I know its not supposed to make much of a difference but it really did. The turbo doesn't spool rite. It has a ton less power. I threw miss fire codes.... Please help me out man please can we meat up and trade back."

So, my question is will an exhaust trade even from the same manufacturer cause all this? His car is a 2003 WRX.. Or is his issue an easy fix with a tune because he had a tune with the R before the trade? Now, he doesn't want to get another tune because it will cost him $150 to get another one.

Please help me out here guys..
Old 10-31-2007, 11:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07 Car
if its the catback it shouldnt matter if its a turboback thats why hes throwing codes.Acatback wont do that
Old 10-31-2007, 11:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
What the hell, a cat back shouldn't cause any of this if they're the same exact size.

The only way it would cause a problem is moving from a 2" to a 3", where the amount of cubic inches of flow has increased dramatically, then yes, it will cause problems.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:45 AM

Yea, it was just the catback, well actually the axleback portion because Blitz uses the the same midpipe with both of these exhausts. I checked with Blitz before the trade.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07 Car
then dont trade him back brianthat should def not cause that to happen to his car.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:50 AM
VIP Member

Time to get a took to measure the inner diameter of both exhausts. If they are both the same and the piping bends are identical, then it will not make any of those problems occur.

imho, he has trader's remorse.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:58 AM

Well, he was looking for a quiter exhaust while I was looking to get what Gibz has because I love her rumble, so NOW do I just tip my head down and trade the dude back to be a good guy, or just go with a trade was a trade.. Motherf***** !!

Btw, got Gibz wheels on lastnight.. She's ballin big time now!! She got so many omfg's lastnight at where I werk... Yiii all my hard work, along with a lot help from son paid off real good and got help from Gibz too plus some great help from the guys at Five Point Tires in Rwd City. No saying what the wheels are until Big Dog's meet tomorrow night.

Last edited by Ballz; 10-31-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by Ballz
Well, he was looking for a quiter exhaust while I was looking to get what Gibz has because I love her rumble, so NOW do I just tip my head down and trade the dude back to be a good guy, or just go with a trade was a trade.. Motherf***** !!

Trade is a trade unless there is something wrong that you didn't state with the exhaust (bent, hole etc..) before you traded with him. Hey life sucks. Why are you going to suffer because someone all of a sudden didn't like it. He should have known what kinda exhaust that was before making the trade.

Unless during the installation you might have whacked the DP hard enough to loosed the bolts that connect it to the turbo or snagged the sensor that's connected to the DP.
VIP Member

It's really up to you. A trade is a trade, but if I was in his shoes and honestly had problems, I'd want to trade back. *shrug*

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
^lol to ballz
Old 10-31-2007, 12:06 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
He had to smack his bults pretty hard to get his off in the first place so dont know if that did anything on his side.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by soggynoodles
Trade is a trade unless there is something wrong that you didn't state with the exhaust (bent, hole etc..) before you traded with him. Hey life sucks, why are you going to suffer because someone all of a sudden didn't like it. He should have known what kinda exhaust that was before making the trade.

Unless during the installation you might have whacked the DP hard enough to loosed the bolts that connect it to the turbo or snagged the sensor that's connected to the DP.
We didn't touch any of that but my exhaust is only 8 months old with 1500 miles on it plus I took excellent care of mine, no scrapes, nothing. But he was whacking at his pipe pretty hard to get his off. Plus, he was missing a gasket between one of his flanges towards the rear of the car..
Old 10-31-2007, 12:15 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
lol whacking his pipe

have that dude check for leaks on his DP. Sounds like he must have whacked something maybe. I wonder why you would whack an exhaust loose though.
Interesting.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:20 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
$150 is a small price to pay for getting the exhaust you want. Id tell the guy to keep it and get a retune...THEN if its still bad think about trading back
Old 10-31-2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by soggynoodles
lol whacking his pipe

have that dude check for leaks on his DP. Sounds like he must have whacked something maybe. I wonder why you would whack an exhaust loose though.
Interesting.
The bolts on his flange were beyond tight.. And it was moving around quite a bit when we were getting his exhaust off. Maybe they were beyond tight because he didn't have a gasket inbetween the flanges, and figured he could get away with not having one.

Quick Reply: Will an exhaust trade cause all this?