Will alignment fix camber wear from lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 01:43 PM

Car Info: Subaru?
Will alignment fix camber wear from lowering springs?

I have eibach prokit springs on stock struts and i have excessive wear on the inside of my front tires. With springs such as the prokits, can an alignment shop simply adjust it back to factory specs, or will it require camber plates, bolts, etc??? anyone have this same problem?

tia
Old 06-23-2006, 01:47 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
I, too, am running pro kits on my stock struts in an 03 wagon. IIRC the front can be reset to factory specs via alignment, but the rears cannot unless you install camber bolts. I am running more negative on the rear due to this.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:54 PM

Car Info: Subaru?
Originally Posted by slvrsubywgn
I, too, am running pro kits on my stock struts in an 03 wagon. IIRC the front can be reset to factory specs via alignment, but the rears cannot unless you install camber bolts. I am running more negative on the rear due to this.
my rear tires wear perfectly, just the fronts that wear funny. ummm whats IIRC?
Old 06-23-2006, 01:58 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
Originally Posted by WRXakaBooSTi
my rear tires wear perfectly, just the fronts that wear funny. ummm whats IIRC?
IIRC=If I Recall Correctly. I had my alignment done by Auto Innovations in Milpitas. Most anyone on here will recommend them. They do great work at very reasonable prices. I don't have uneven wear on any of my tires, but I am running with more camber in the rear. If you install lowering springs, alignment is a must.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:47 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by WRXakaBooSTi
I have eibach prokit springs on stock struts and i have excessive wear on the inside of my front tires. ....
Excessive wear is usually a result of incorrect toe more than camber, but if you have both it wears even faster than either one alone.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:05 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by psoper
Excessive wear is usually a result of incorrect toe more than camber, but if you have both it wears even faster than either one alone.
Awesome, someone who knows their stuff. Toe is the main cause of uneven wear if air pressure is maintained correctly. This is easily correctable by an alignment, and unless your camber is WAY off, which it shouldn't since I don't think the Pro Kit slams the car, should fix your problem.

If you're planning to keep your car for a while, I'd recommend getting a lifetime alignment at Firestone which is a single $160 initial charge and they'll align your car for no charge as long as you own your vehicle. They may not be as good as Auto Innovations (they somehow were only able to pull 0.19 degrees of negative camber from my R/F wheel) but since I'm not competitively racing my car on a daily basis, it's a much better deal than paying ~ $60 every 6 months.