This is why you look for bicyclist when you're out on those drives.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:39 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Considering the location of that truck in the photo I'd venture to guess that the truck was off the road when it hit the kid. But it doesn't really matter. Kid got killed in front of his school... it sucks.

Happened at my junior high too. It happens all the time.

It's dangerous. Bicyclist. Pedestrians. Motorcyclists. You're all OUTSIDE of a cage. You are basically talking about a couple hundred pounds with no metal cage going up against a few thousand pounds of moving metal cage.

it's all dangerous but that doesn't mean it should be illegal.

I had a kid in my apartment complex that I'm about 95% sure died. Kid was riding around and tried to jump over a speed bump... caught it. Flipped. Hit his head. Bleed everywhere. Never saw the kid again and the parents moved out a month later.

No cars involved there.

We pass laws to stop people from doing things all the time. Most of the time it makes sense but it's not always something that needs to happen. If I want to text while I walk and I walk in front of a car... it's my own damned fault. Common sense doesn't always rule but that doesn't mean the government should control everything I do because I might get sick or injured.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 AM
General Pimpin'

STi-owns-evo... I can't believe you're surprised. LOL!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:45 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by irrational x
I do that when its unsafe to pass me.

I cruise at 20mph with little effort. Seasoned cyclists will do 35 in the flats, pros can sustain speeds of 40. I regularly go 55+ on rides while descending. That's why bikes are classified as motor vehicles. No pun intended, but its a two way street. Just ask Christopher Bucchere (google it).

Here's where it happened: http://goo.gl/maps/67rXx

She would have been descending in the northbound direction if he was making a left to Elm Tree. If she was in a car he's 100% at fault, no questions... and the law says a bike = a car.

Not saying that that cyclists aren't at fault in many accidents. The difference is that when a 4000lb car rubs another 4000lb car you lose a little paint and maybe dent some metal. When a 4000lb car rubs a cyclist that cyclist might not ever get up again.

Also, cycling gear is all bright and neon. How the **** people dont see cyclists is beyond me, which is why i always ride with a forward and backwards flasher on. those extra grams are worth the visibility / moral high ground.

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:08 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Hey wanna go for a ride Timmy?

YEAH!! Let's go to that one road you know, it's super windy with a million blind turns, no shoulders or run off and is probably the most dangerous road I could pick in the whole area but I have zero ****ing common sense, lets not even discuss my habits of OBEYING CAR RULES when I want to be a car and SUDDENLY TRANSFORMING to BIKE rules when I want to be a bike and my lack of common senses on these matters.

Yeah SOUNDS GREAT LETS DO IT!
its probably one of those roads dbags like you post videos of yourself driving at high speed.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:10 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by Overbear
I have always been for banning bikes on major roads, but now, screw them. If the ones here defending the 'bikers' are any kind of example, then they are all hard core dirtbags.
lets ban cars too, i mean they are more dangerous than islamic terrorists and they are driven by backword *** ignorant ****sippers like you (i am also guilty on all counts, minus the ignorance).
Old 09-23-2013, 01:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I have always been for banning bikes on major roads, but now, screw them. If the ones here defending the 'bikers' are any kind of example, then they are all hard core dirtbags.
There is no way that you can be both serious about that, and at the same time expect people to take you seriously. It seems like you are just having a blast stirring the pot here, and watching the fireworks. Prove that you are not by making even the smallest amount of sense describing how you would pass laws that say people cannot ride their bikes on major roads.

Troll of the century!!! We are still arguing over something that doesn't make any sense at all!

Originally Posted by buzzword
Being a bike mechanic paid my way through undergrad, and is doing the same now in grad school.

So I have a proposition for all you self-important, entitled ****** who erroneously believe that cyclists have no right to the road due to taxation concerns or your own ignorant views: maybe we should tax drivers into a mudhole in order to raise funds for bike-only roads, to be built directly through the backyards of Overbear, zumnwrx, bk blitzed, or any of the other angry people in this thread exhibiting the aforementioned character flaws they so readily accuse cyclists of having.

Obviously, my bike path idea will never work, as it's just as ridiculous as the polarized beliefs shown by both sides in this thread. However, in either case, please share the road or GFY. I've been in the hospital several times because of ignorant drivers, one of whom tried to fight me while waiting for the cops to show up after he hit me with his truck and broke my shoulder. Despite that info, I really don't have an axe to grind here - I am only suggesting that the polarization here is not productive. Obvious trolls will always be obvious.
Great post, I like it. "Share the road or GFY" as long as it applies evenly across the board to everyone.

Originally Posted by slugrx
I drive about 100 miles a day around the peninsula and I run into more bad bicycle riders than cars, most of them being teens or kids, who never stop at stop signs, ride in and out of the street and sidewalk, make random turns without signaling, etc...

not saying this kid specifically is at fault today, but kids need to know that biking isn't just a fun way to get around, and that they need to learn the laws of the roads
Crap... I thought we were done ignorantly picking one group as the bad-guy. Cyclists will blame the motorists, and vice versa. If you were doing these miles on a bike, you would be complaining about how bad people in cars are. This is not necessarily helpful, but it's lots of fun I guess. What are you trying to say if you are not trying to say this kid was at fault? I see people in cars, on motorcycles, and on bicycles doing stupid stuff every day. One group is worse than another? If so, it's news to me. I mean I almost had a skateboarder go over my hood coming home last night as he came flying out between two cars in the wrong direction coming at me from the other side of the road diagonally. Time to ban skateboards, or, maybe that was just an idiot on a skateboard?

Learn the laws of the roads.............. Yeah!!! The day I see someone in a car in San Mateo County stop at a stop sign, I will probably pass out due to shock. But yeah, those damn cyclists!! The day I don't deal with someone else in another car just doing something seemingly pointless that causes problems for others will be a great day. Learn the laws of the roads... I could not agree more.

Oh man..

Originally Posted by irrational x
lets ban cars too, i mean they are more dangerous than islamic terrorists and they are driven by backword *** ignorant ****sippers like you (i am also guilty on all counts, minus the ignorance).
Best thing is if we could just ban stupidity. Sadly though, in this day and age, ignorance is power.

And lastly, just because this is so much fun and I want to play too, I thought I would mention that the only time I thought I was actually going to die on my bicycle because of the actions of a motorist, it was a SMPD car that almost took me out swerving in front of me to go into a parking lot. I am glad I did not die that day. I actually had to pull over and take a couple breaths. They probably got a great laugh out of it!

So.. Ban cops?

Discuss.

OF COURSE I AM KIDDING, SHEEEZUS.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:13 PM

Car Info: Toyota pickup, Tuono, '62 Mini
Originally Posted by norcalbro
...Archaic form of transportation? When I ride I'm getting unlimited miles per gallon... Have you seen gas prices lately? No emissions, and good for me...
Ce qu'on voit et ce qu'on ne voit pas...

There are far more emissions put into the environment when you bicycle than when you drive. Bicycling requires significantly more calories consumed than not riding or driving a gas-powered automobile. Getting you that additional food means more trips to the store, more delivery trucks on the roads, more farm machinery running, more hours of food processing factories running, more fertilizers and other ag chemicals being produced and consumed.

Just because you can't see the immediate effects of something doesn't mean they aren't there.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:28 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by wombatsauce

Crap... I thought we were done ignorantly picking one group as the bad-guy. Cyclists will blame the motorists, and vice versa. If you were doing these miles on a bike, you would be complaining about how bad people in cars are. This is not necessarily helpful, but it's lots of fun I guess. What are you trying to say if you are not trying to say this kid was at fault? I see people in cars, on motorcycles, and on bicycles doing stupid stuff every day. One group is worse than another? If so, it's news to me. I mean I almost had a skateboarder go over my hood coming home last night as he came flying out between two cars in the wrong direction coming at me from the other side of the road diagonally. Time to ban skateboards, or, maybe that was just an idiot on a skateboard?

Learn the laws of the roads.............. Yeah!!! The day I see someone in a car in San Mateo County stop at a stop sign, I will probably pass out due to shock. But yeah, those damn cyclists!! The day I don't deal with someone else in another car just doing something seemingly pointless that causes problems for others will be a great day. Learn the laws of the roads... I could not agree more.
Impossible to do the routes I do on a bike, but what I'm trying to say is that IN MY EXPERIENCE, most young people get onto bikes without any real type of training and just hit the streets withthe mindset that stop signs are optional since they aren't in a car...they assume it's like being a pedestrian almost where they can do as they please and just ride around in and out of the street and sidewalk, focused n what's in front of them and not the surroundings....

Granted I do see many stupid drivers, it's only like 1 out of 20-30 cars, almost every bike I encounter is blasting through stop signs with no intention of even slowing down, going around red lights, riding on the wrong side of the street, riding on the sidewalk and crossing in the middle of the streets. ...I see many cars stop at signs every single day so I'm not sure what you are talking about there
..especially in Belmont where everyone stops at stop signs for at least two seconds. ... I have literally only seen one bike stop at a sign in my past year at work and that was last week. ...It blew my mind so much that I made sure to say thank you to him as I went on my way because it never happens
Old 09-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
My buddy and I have stopped in a middle of an intersection when we had a right of way and the biker did not stop at the stop sign and ended up in the bed of the truck. Hmmm who's at fault? But then again. No biker has ever stopped in this intersection for as long as I commuted it.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:53 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Joe250
Ce qu'on voit et ce qu'on ne voit pas...

There are far more emissions put into the environment when you bicycle than when you drive. Bicycling requires significantly more calories consumed than not riding or driving a gas-powered automobile. Getting you that additional food means more trips to the store, more delivery trucks on the roads, more farm machinery running, more hours of food processing factories running, more fertilizers and other ag chemicals being produced and consumed.

Just because you can't see the immediate effects of something doesn't mean they aren't there.
Oh man that's funny right there...
Old 09-23-2013, 06:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by slugrx
Impossible to do the routes I do on a bike, but what I'm trying to say is that IN MY EXPERIENCE, most young people get onto bikes without any real type of training and just hit the streets withthe mindset that stop signs are optional since they aren't in a car...they assume it's like being a pedestrian almost where they can do as they please and just ride around in and out of the street and sidewalk, focused n what's in front of them and not the surroundings....

Granted I do see many stupid drivers, it's only like 1 out of 20-30 cars, almost every bike I encounter is blasting through stop signs with no intention of even slowing down, going around red lights, riding on the wrong side of the street, riding on the sidewalk and crossing in the middle of the streets. ...I see many cars stop at signs every single day so I'm not sure what you are talking about there
..especially in Belmont where everyone stops at stop signs for at least two seconds. ... I have literally only seen one bike stop at a sign in my past year at work and that was last week. ...It blew my mind so much that I made sure to say thank you to him as I went on my way because it never happens
Sorry about that, was not suggesting you do your job on a bike. Was just trying to show that people who drive but do not cycle hate cyclists, people who only cycle but do not drive think everyone in a car is an idiot. I know what you are talking about with the crazies on bikes, and for some reason I do see that from time to time around the train station, Old County and Ralston - that area. I do not see this as evidence that everyone on a bicycle is a jerk, but that those were some jerks on bikes. Usually it's young folks on a BMX or something.

I have lived in the same area there off and on since 2006, and do a lot of cycling. I also do a lot of driving. I see jerks operating all kinds of devices. I go through Ralston/Old County a lot and it's rare to go through there in the afternoon or evening and not see someone doing something incredibly stupid with a car, usually it's parked diagonally in the intersection, and there is honking/yelling.

The thing about the stop signs is weird though. We drive the same areas every day. The "not stopping" thing is pretty commonly known, and it's weird that we can both travel through the same areas and have different experiences.

I drive Alameda every day, and there are lots of 4-way stops on that road. Literally no one stops, unless there is so much traffic that they must. Driving through the hills in Belmont and San Mateo, people roll through or even accelerate through stop signs. It's almost like it's a challenge to not stop, and people get really mad when you roll through the intersection slowly, forcing them to stop.

I see cars when I am out taking dogs for a walk or something, come through stops around where I live so fast that I can actually see the car leaning as the tires cross over the stop line. Every single day. If you stand on a corner and count cars that do not stop, you will eventually get bored and leave. This is a known issue in this area. No idea where you are at on that one.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:50 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
You biker idiots have made me see the error of my ways, your right, you are all 100%...****bags.

I use to be on the fence, give a little room just to be safe...no more. I am solidly in the "**** all bikes and **** giving them a inch" camp now. Thank you for setting me right on that. Your "bikers are superior" atittude has pointed the way for me.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
i just saw this pop up on kron4's feed

Scoot Over for Cyclists, It Will Soon be the Law « KRON4

Scoot Over for Cyclists, It Will Soon be the Law
By Brian Shields
Mon Sep 23rd, 2013 6:50pm America/Los_Angeles

SACRAMENTO — Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation requiring California drivers to stay at least three feet away when passing bicyclists.
The proposal from Democratic Assemblyman Steven Bradford of Gardena is intended to better protect cyclists from aggressive drivers. It states that if drivers cannot leave three feet of space, they must slow down and pass only when it would not endanger the cyclist’s safety.
Bradford’s bill was sponsored by Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, an avid cyclist who was injured in 2010 after a taxi driver abruptly pulled in front of him.

Brown announced signing AB1371 on Monday. He vetoed legislation last year that would have allowed drivers to cross a double-yellow line to make room for a cyclist.
The law will go into effect on Sept. 16, 2014.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Old 09-23-2013, 07:41 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
STi-owns-evo... I can't believe you're surprised. LOL!
You're right. It's Overbear, what the hell was I thinking?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:29 PM

Car Info: 2015 SWP WRX
Share the ****in road people SMH! This thread is full of nonsense. Be courteous, I treat bicyclist the same way I treat motorcyclist.. I give them SPACE. I don't see why it's such a big deal to move over even just a little bit to not injure someone.

Quick Reply: This is why you look for bicyclist when you're out on those drives.