Why so much SRT-4 hatred?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 09:38 AM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
If you're talking about visual style, i personally think all these cars that we think are cool are pretty ugly. But if you're talking about style in terms of engineering prowess, then i would agree 100%, but i would also say that most of the cars that we like, we probably like because of how they can do so much with so little, srt4 included.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:47 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - WRB
true...when wrx came to US...bad a$$ car for 25k. cool. nothing like it... hangs w/ M3 (which is my affordable dream car) so awesome, but the WRX looks awesome also, whereas the N E O N looks ghay, so you could buy a cheap, semi-fast UGLY stupid car, or a still inexpensive semi-fast (stock) WRX...and have a nice, awesome looking car. for what??? 5 k more. No Comparison (I JUST LOVE MY SUBARU) ...
Old 12-06-2003, 09:48 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - WRB
+ subaru is the best (AWD)...and turbod
Old 12-06-2003, 09:51 AM

Car Info: 04 rally blue wrx sedan
So what you're saying (Seraph) is that we hate what we like and really like what we hate? Cause I'd believe this to be the truth over all other reasoning! The reason we hate the SRT-4 is that we admire the power it comes with from the factory. At least I do.....for cryin out loud it's faster than our cars and we have to spend even more money to get our cars as fast! Sure our cars are quality vehicles.....many Audi (quality vehicles) owners congratulate us all the time and even seek to sell their cars to buy WRX's. But that's not the issue, the issue is the power this POS makes from the factory. If our cars were faster than the SRT-4 or SRT-4's were slower from the factory we would not like them (see "like" at the top)!
Old 12-06-2003, 11:57 AM

I don't know about you guys, but when the wrx debuted here in the US, there were a lot more people who said it was fugly than beautiful. Heck, some clueless people have even confused the srt-4 for a wrx (or vice versa) because of the bug eyes. Many females I have talked to said the 02-03 wrx looks ugly as well. So from a stylistic standpoint, I don't think anybody wins this argument (probably the reason why subaru redesigned the front for 04 models).

Reliability wise, Dodge has overbuilt and reinforced the engine because it knows that people will still perceive it to be just a "neon" with the same reliability issues. They also knew owners will abuse the hell out of the car. So I say this preventive measure is a plus for Dodge and bringing out this potent lil turbo 4 banger can only help to increase sales and help it win over some of the loyalists from the import sport compact car scene.

That's my 2 cents on the topic
Old 12-06-2003, 12:05 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally posted by Choku Dori
[B]As for the RSX - S, I've driven one and didn't particularly enjoy it. It felt a tad underpowered, the interior wasn't quite ergonomic enough (for me I guess), and it wasn't too difficult to expose the FWD's weaknesses. And if you want high-revving fun, take a swing in the S2000
As for Mazdaspeed Protege's, it'd prolly take a new turbocharger to get it to 250hp That's bolt-on, technically!

no, it's already been done, 220 to the wheels I believe, which would make it it pretty competitivfe to the SRT-4!

Besides, it's a T25 and that's worth quite a bit tuned to the max.

Remember that our turbos aren't worth very much either, people thouht they'd onoly support 250-280, but we've gotten 300-330 with high tunes.

ARGH actually I was about to get an S2000 at a car auction but I left early to go play Halo. It was a 2000 w/ 50k miles that went for 15,000!!!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:07 PM

also look at it this way:

the wrx is not a huge improvement over the imprezza, after driving both before I got the wrx since the wrx was n '03 and the imprezza an '04, such that they costed about the same.

The SRT4 on the other hand is a HUGE improvement over the neon! So you gotta give it props on that basis too...

it's like 2 guys who go work out for 6 monthes, and the small guy can bench 50 more lbs and the big guy benches 80 more pounds, you usually give more props to the small guy...
Old 12-06-2003, 12:12 PM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
Originally posted by porkchop
stock for stock, the SRT will eat the WRX.

Tommy
www.mpjperformance.com
only in a straight line... which is all good by me!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:18 PM

aaron,

I'm afraid the '04 especially will eat the WRX in corners, braking, slalom, Autocross, road course, AND a straight line

well i dunno for sure but that's what I've been hearing from some hardcore racers, and it seems logical that in fact with our uppipes and RE92's, the SRT4 is def in a higher state of tune from the factory than our cars

... But I guess you can argue the wrx wasn't really built for those things. I think wrx's were built as an offroad vehicle that can haul *** in the straights as well and also get itself unstuck in mud.

But then that SRT4 dominated Pike's peak so i dunno...
Old 12-06-2003, 02:14 PM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
Originally posted by 04WRBsedan
So what you're saying (Seraph) is that we hate what we like and really like what we hate? Cause I'd believe this to be the truth over all other reasoning! The reason we hate the SRT-4 is that we admire the power it comes with from the factory. At least I do.....for cryin out loud it's faster than our cars and we have to spend even more money to get our cars as fast! Sure our cars are quality vehicles.....many Audi (quality vehicles) owners congratulate us all the time and even seek to sell their cars to buy WRX's. But that's not the issue, the issue is the power this POS makes from the factory. If our cars were faster than the SRT-4 or SRT-4's were slower from the factory we would not like them (see "like" at the top)!
I don't hate what i like (and drive) but i don't have any illusions of the cars in my driveway being "beautiful" and as for the latter, yes i believe some people do hate it because it has good power from the factory, but it is only when the drivers themselves of the SRT4s bring that mentality of "i have more hp so bow down to me" to the streets and start causing trouble that we get some generalized hatred for the car itself, because its hard to identify the drivers as anything other than jerks, which is a predominant feature of most car companies that have quick sporty cars.

I'm trying to put out there the possibility that we see so much hate about the SRT4 is that if people like it that much, they would be driving it and therefore would not be on this board. Or they don't hate it and don't like it, in which case we get no comments from them. And finally there are those people who dislike them, and the "hater" group always comes as the most vocal of the three, which can lead one to believe that a lot of people hate it when its a few individuals that dislike it, and even those individuals have varying reasons for their dislike. By that train of thought, i have always had the impression that only a small percentage of the people that don't like the SRT4 don't like entirely on the basis of the car.

In conclusion (what is this an essay?) Some cars remain on the fence in public opinion, but all it takes is one jerk to make that car look like crap in a competitors' eyes. In contrast, the Evo is a competiting car, but aside from the few isolated incidents of huge asses driving them, the repore between subaru and mitsu drivers have been amicable to say the least. I get thumbs up from them, and i give them thumbs up back. SRT4 guys don't even look (but they do see me) and then they shoot off in a fit of "i'm better than you, you don't deserve to be in my space bubble"
Old 12-07-2003, 01:12 AM

Car Info: 04 rally blue wrx sedan
Originally posted by Seraph
I don't hate what i like (and drive) but i don't have any illusions of the cars in my driveway being "beautiful" and as for the latter, yes i believe some people do hate it because it has good power from the factory, but it is only when the drivers themselves of the SRT4s bring that mentality of "i have more hp so bow down to me" to the streets and start causing trouble that we get some generalized hatred for the car itself, because its hard to identify the drivers as anything other than jerks, which is a predominant feature of most car companies that have quick sporty cars.

I'm trying to put out there the possibility that we see so much hate about the SRT4 is that if people like it that much, they would be driving it and therefore would not be on this board. Or they don't hate it and don't like it, in which case we get no comments from them. And finally there are those people who dislike them, and the "hater" group always comes as the most vocal of the three, which can lead one to believe that a lot of people hate it when its a few individuals that dislike it, and even those individuals have varying reasons for their dislike. By that train of thought, i have always had the impression that only a small percentage of the people that don't like the SRT4 don't like entirely on the basis of the car.

In conclusion (what is this an essay?) Some cars remain on the fence in public opinion, but all it takes is one jerk to make that car look like crap in a competitors' eyes. In contrast, the Evo is a competiting car, but aside from the few isolated incidents of huge asses driving them, the repore between subaru and mitsu drivers have been amicable to say the least. I get thumbs up from them, and i give them thumbs up back. SRT4 guys don't even look (but they do see me) and then they shoot off in a fit of "i'm better than you, you don't deserve to be in my space bubble"

Werd......A+

I agree with most of what you're saying except for the end when you describe you're perception of how SRT-4 drivers percieve us WRX drivers. I believe that they "don't even look" because they are downright intimidated of us. I've seen these clowns on the road and they're not trying to look hard at all. They've got both hands on the the steering wheel "10 and 2" and are sitting straight up in their seats! This is not the stance of someone having an "I'm better than you attitude." The guys you're talking about are in the Porsche's and BMW's. Besides, deep down they have to know that they're driving a factory modded NEON! How prestigous could that be?
Old 12-07-2003, 01:55 AM

Car Info: E36 m3
front wheel drive, crappy build quailty, for this year no front diff (just friggen silly), UGLY as all hell, *** in the air suspension, no rear power windows, crappy interior, sounds like ***

I would nevAr buy it just for the fact that it doesnt do anything well. For the money if I wanted straight line speed I'd buy an old rustang 5.0 or a dsm or something. If i were spending under 20 grand I would... buy a 2.5rs... oh wait... i did. If you want to make the whole new/used argument, I dont care, I'd rather have a good used car than a new neon.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
Originally posted by IS2Scooby
I like 'em.
i like'em too, but i would lower the car abit more.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: WRB WRX 2003 Subaru Sedan
i like em. But i think they are kinda ugly in the front.

Quick Reply: Why so much SRT-4 hatred?