Whos the best cellular company....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 02:17 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
depends on what you want. Verizon has the best coverage area. Service is pretty good. All those fancy features(internet,picks,text, etc...) cost alsot extra with the Verizon plans. They are getting better though. You will probably pay a little more with Verizon but if you can use your phone all the time who cares. If you looking for basic calling Verizon is the way to go. BTW. Verizon is constantly checking thier network. They have several vehicles that roam the country looking for dead spot and problems. They also check their competitors networks as well because most of the Verizon towers are also leased to other companies as well. I work for Verizon Ops and we handle all of the network connections and data platforms for all of the Verizon Wireless networks as well as many other Cell providers.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:33 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX Limited
Originally Posted by 02BlackWRX
I have had cinuglar since it was pacbell, for ~ 6 years now.

I have not had any problems with it so far, yet some people say they do..
same...
Old 08-03-2004, 07:40 AM

Car Info: 2016 Red WRX
Originally Posted by wrx10404
I work for Verizon Ops and we handle all of the network connections and data platforms for all of the Verizon Wireless networks as well as many other Cell providers.

can you tell them to check Orinda and put a dam tower near my house? thanx!
Old 08-03-2004, 02:47 PM

Car Info: 98RS - Pretty Blue
I've had ATNT for a while and pretty much hate them. I need to switch, but anyways I'm on the 39.95 plan where you get unlimited night and weekends and like 600 daytime minutes or something like that. Anyways, they ****ed up my bill for like the last 7 months and I've had to call them every month and complain and get them to change it. They have been charging me extra once I go over the 300 minute mark and I hate them and they should die.

end
Old 08-03-2004, 03:00 PM

Car Info: '08 GT3/'08 Cayenne Turbo/'02 WRX Sedan/'95 E36 M3
hm... yeah...
i would say every company has their ups and downs for sure. and everyone has their horror stories about different phone companies, and even though i hate verizon, i would have to say their coverage seems to be the best, with sprint following in second.

verizon's wireless service has increased significantly in the last quarter, while att is dropping out of the wireless/personal sector beginning with their acquisition by cingular. on the whole, of the bells, att ("ma bell") is having problems and is posed for a juicy take-over by another company soon. all the once "baby bells" are not so "baby" anymore with verizon taking the lead.

as for tmobile, i have tmobile at the moment and it really seems quite patchy to me. however, if you are a frequent traveler not only within california (as you will see tmobile does not work very well along the 5) tmobile has it's advantages in big cities and overseas as you can use your phone in other countries as well.

and yes, i'd have to agree with some others on att's tdma network being significantly better than their gsm. (poor business move to push for the switch to the gsm network while technology in the states is still behind.) i also had both phones for a while, and while i loved the tdma, i hated their gsm coverage.

-bbsmurf
Old 08-03-2004, 03:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
My g/f had T-Mobile and her contract went out last month, so we just went through this. I have no idea what is up with people who have AT&T and say it's good, though mine got a lot worse when it was switched to GSM. I can make calls whenever my phone feels like letting me, and I have started using pay phones again. The best part about my phone is work pays for it.

There's nothing like that "BEEP" and then you look at your screen to find you have 6 new voicemails, full signal, and it didn't ring once. Call my number just for fun - straight to voicemail. Move the phone 6 inches to the left, no signal. FACK. AT&T and Nokia 6820b. Woop woop.

After asking gobs of people and using different phones, paying attention to who's phone is the only one working in a given area, etc - we found that Verizon is the best. Although AT&T seems to be the best in Hawaii.. Not that it would matter to anyone here.

-Jacob
Old 08-03-2004, 03:12 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
i had att and was on the tdma network. coverage was very good, a lot better than their gsm network, but the phones they have available for their tdma network suck.

i recently switched to verizon. much better than att, but the coverage isn't as good as i expected in the bay area (although it is still very good compared to att)
Old 08-03-2004, 08:57 PM

Car Info: 2001 RS
Originally Posted by FoToHo
wow.... bite me... its just a mistake, get over it

miranda
dont take it personal i bolded it so everyone who sees the post would get it clear.

I honestly shouldnt be posting this but yeah verizon is goin strong right now but once Cingular takes over all of ATTW's tdma and gsm towers i think itll be the best of both worlds for cingular and att gsm customers...

How is it gonna compare to sprint and verizon ? dont know till it happens.

Enough of everyones horror stories not every carrier is perfect and the only way to find out if a service provider will work for you is to try it out for that " 15 day trial" i tell every single customer to go to the primary places they will be at and to see if it works, if not well cingular isnt pointing a gun and forcing you to pursue the contract the only thing you lose out of it is the activation fee but it beats the hell out of being locked in a contract with crappy service.

Dont mean to rant its just people treat wireless sales rep like sh*t!!! and dont realize were human as well, what pisses me off is when they wait to try and return it after the 15 days and complain, the common excuse is "i was never told that" so yea just a little side note treat the reps the way you want to be treated and stay away from kiosks/radio shacks/ and all kinds of dinky authorized agents cause they all work straight on commission and will do whatever it takes for the sale and brush you off everytime you have a problem, go to a company owned/corporate store they'll treat you like kings and queens and will not screw your plans over cause im sure every corporate store has weekly audits making sure everyone is doing there job correctly....

Hope this info helps...
Old 08-04-2004, 10:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by EJ25RS

Enough of everyones horror stories not every carrier is perfect and the only way to find out if a service provider will work for you is to try it out for that " 15 day trial" i tell every single customer to go to the primary places they will be at and to see if it works, if not well cingular isnt pointing a gun and forcing you to pursue the contract the only thing you lose out of it is the activation fee but it beats the hell out of being locked in a contract with crappy service.
The 'horror stories' are for the most part, the whole point of this post as well as lots of internet use. People want to see what people experience in the real world. No, not every carrier is perfect - but most people don't like to sign a 1 or 2 year contract and put down cash not knowing if they are getting a product that works for them or not - phone companies force people to do that. Even with the wonderful 15 day trial, you still are simply out cash if you happened to choose a carrier that doesn't work at your house.

I think a much better way to try out a carrier than signing up for a contract and going everywhere you might happen to go within 15 days is to... Pay attention. Ask your friends what carrier they have and if they are happy! When your phone has no service - look around for people that do and ask who their carrier is.

Saying 'enough of the horror stories' would be like SOA dropping into one of the warranty threads and saying the same thing about tranny issues or whatever. I for one appreciate the horror stories, but I also know that you need to look at and read that stuff objectively.

Dont mean to rant its just people treat wireless sales rep like sh*t!!!
Hate to say it, but most people treat just about anyone in a floor-sales situation like crap. Just the way it is I guess. It sucks, but.. That's retail from what I have heard. People also drive bad. People are rude. People suck!

-Jacob
Old 08-04-2004, 01:29 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Hate to say it, but most people treat just about anyone in a floor-sales situation like crap. Just the way it is I guess. It sucks, but.. That's retail from what I have heard. People also drive bad.
I rarely have sucky customers. In fact, just about never. But maybe its just me...
Old 08-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
I have T-Mobile, pay $50/month, and get 3k anytime minutes, I'm stoked.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:42 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
nextel

aloha from the summit of Mauna Kea
Old 08-04-2004, 08:22 PM

Car Info: 2001 RS
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
The 'horror stories' are for the most part, the whole point of this post as well as lots of internet use. People want to see what people experience in the real world. No, not every carrier is perfect - but most people don't like to sign a 1 or 2 year contract and put down cash not knowing if they are getting a product that works for them or not - phone companies force people to do that. Even with the wonderful 15 day trial, you still are simply out cash if you happened to choose a carrier that doesn't work at your house.

I think a much better way to try out a carrier than signing up for a contract and going everywhere you might happen to go within 15 days is to... Pay attention. Ask your friends what carrier they have and if they are happy! When your phone has no service - look around for people that do and ask who their carrier is.

Saying 'enough of the horror stories' would be like SOA dropping into one of the warranty threads and saying the same thing about tranny issues or whatever. I for one appreciate the horror stories, but I also know that you need to look at and read that stuff objectively.

Hate to say it, but most people treat just about anyone in a floor-sales situation like crap. Just the way it is I guess. It sucks, but.. That's retail from what I have heard. People also drive bad. People are rude. People suck!

-Jacob

Well yea it does suck to lose $$$ of an activation fee but then you go back and read this thread and read that some people say that company is cool and works for them and some hate the living death of that company but atleast trying it yourself gives you that security of knowing for yourself if that company works for you. and yeah your right the other alternative is asking a friend or family member to borrow there phone or follow you to your primary areas of wireless use
to see if it works.

If your really weary about a wireless carrier check out this site its got its ups and downs feedback of each carrier and phone manufactuer.

www.howardforums.com
Old 08-04-2004, 08:56 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
Enough of everyones horror stories
[rant on]ive found (working at VZW) that most "horror stories" are usually because a customer didn't read the contract. You're signing up to give these companies a decent amount of money for some time. please for the love of god people, read the damn contract.[/rant off]

sorry, i have found working for several different cellular companies that Verizon has by far better coverage, as well as customer service reps that give a damn (or at least are good actors )

Last edited by Keisatsu; 08-05-2004 at 03:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Whos the best cellular company....