46.55%
GSP
53.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Who are you for BJ Penn or GSP??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
BJ earned his stripes all over the world competing at specialized world class events. If your definition of a great fighter is someone that wins in the UFC then you're missing out on a lot of "great" fighters.
Did u know Canada wants GSP to wrestle for them in the next olympics?

Vaseline or not, the outcome would still have been the same. If BJ Penn's crew wants to dispute something like this, do a rematch. I guarantee u BJ wants no part of GSP any time soon.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by zotling
As far as the p4p debate, in my honest opinion, I don't think he is THE p4p best. That would probably belong to Fedor or Anderson Silva. However, BJ definitely belongs somewhere in the relevant discussion of p4p best fighters. Yes he is easily outdone by the accomplishments of Fedor and Silva so there is a large gap between them and BJ. But if you look at any discussion or article attempting to rank p4p fighters I can almost guarantee that you'll see BJ's name on the list. This doesn't happen on accident.
His name is on the lists/polls, just below Fedor, Anderson, and GSP.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:17 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by TurnWRX

Vaseline or not, the outcome would still have been the same. If BJ Penn's crew wants to dispute something like this, do a rematch. I guarantee u BJ wants no part of GSP any time soon.
I never said GSP wasn't great. In fact I think I said he was a better wrestler by far than BJ. And I'm not surprised he won. I seem to recall saying that BJ wasn't in his natural weight class and GSP is stronger as well... before the fight. I don't think there is ANYTHING wrong with BJ's crew bringing that up. I don't think they're asking for a disqualification are they? Just bring it up so it doesn't happen in the future.

Do I think BJ would have won sans vasoline... probably not. But it does give the advantage and it is illegal and just down right dirty. That's a plain and simple fact. Nothing wrong with it being a formal complaint so that if it does happen again it will be caught and dealt with more sternly. I don't think the fight results should be in question.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them fight again but I honestly think BJ needs to bust *** and focus on 155. Dominate down there and shut up the critics. I don't think people should be discounting his abilities for fighting the top guys in the weight class above his a few months after fighting at 155. It's a difficult transition and one no doubt pushed by Dana White.

And I'd bet your wrong. I'd bet that BJ would fight GSP again no questions asked. I don't think he should but I do think he would. Just like chuck would and did fight rampage no questions asked. These guys are warriors.

I think fighting outside of your weight class is a bad idea. Guys are just too good these days.

If you look at silvia... he carries the weight. Some guys cut mad weight to get to a lower weight class but can safely and day to day DO carry the extra weight. That's how you get 2 class fighters. But 15 pounds is a lot for a guy that doesn't have the stature to carry it to put on. He could have done a better job doing it and been more competitive but that's just not who he is. I think the fight was a mistake. I hope it wakes him up. Makes him take a few more fights and train hard at 155. Dominate for a year or two. Then if he really wants the 170. Train HARD for 6 months then do it. He is just not that muscle bound kind of dude that is necessary to fight a guy like GSP a weight class up.

make sense?

Why is everyone quoting me. I don't think I've said one bad thing about GSP and nothing but honest truth about BJ. I don't see how there are any faults in my reasoning? And I didn't even watch the fight.

For all I know BJ got out classed 100% and it had nothing to do with anything. I'm speaking purely about each fighter and their histories and the rules and history of MMA.

**** if you gave me a half million dollars I'd fight GSP right now. Then if you asked me again a couple weeks and said you'd pay me $750k because the people liked watching me get beat to **** and like the fat underdog I'd do it again. And I'm not a trained fighter.

To call BJ a coward and doubt he'd do it again is just ludicrous. If he doesn't want to do it again it has nothing to do with being scared of getting hurt. It's about his career, image and marketability.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:25 PM
General Pimpin'

oh.. and...

isn't Ben Askren in the weight class GSP would be in?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:30 PM

I think fighting outside of your weight class is a bad idea. Guys are just too good these days.

If you look at silvia... he carries the weight. Some guys cut mad weight to get to a lower weight class but can safely and day to day DO carry the extra weight. That's how you get 2 class fighters. But 15 pounds is a lot for a guy that doesn't have the stature to carry it to put on.
Dan Henderson's competed in 2 weight classes and has done very well. At 205, he looks smaller than most light heavyweights but he's still done well even at his old age. His frame is more suited to 185 though, just like BJ is to 155. Honestly, I think BJ is as good as most of the current welterweights in the UFC right now, so I don't think the extra 15 lbs would make much of a difference. He just happened to compete with somebody whose better than him and is at his peak. As for his lack of training, I don't think this is his problem. It's the way he manages his energy and breathing during fights that tires him out easily. It's as if u start jogging and don't remember to breathe properly, you'll run out of gas before u know it, even though u could easily go longer.

As for Canada asking GSP to wrestle in the Olympics, I don't know anything else other than Mike Goldberg mentioning it during the PPV.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:45 PM
General Pimpin'

wight jump is all body type.

Henderson is another wrestler type body. Wide and muscular. BJ is more of a leaner dude. His weight is different. But you're probably right. It seems to me that in most of his losses he gases. He's not really get "beat" up. Just gassed.

15 pounds of muscle is an easy transition for me so to speak but not so much for my brother. In college I went from 168 to 208. muscle. Now I'm just a fat ***. But for my brother to put that much weight on... even 15 pounds, he'd have to carry a lot more weight than he's designed to carry.

Some of these guys walk around at 5-15 pounds over their fight weights and cut. Cutting and gaining can be the difference between to equal or close to equal fighters.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
if you gave me a half million dollars I'd fight GSP right now. Then if you asked me again a couple weeks and said you'd pay me $750k because the people liked watching me get beat to **** and like the fat underdog I'd do it again. And I'm not a trained fighter.

That got me thinking, I would totally fight GSP for $1,000,000! I'd get the CRAP beat out of me and would be injured like a mother f'er, but I'd have bragging rights on top of the million dollars... hahahah... Get a Tshirt that says "I got my *** kicked by GSP".

I'd do it for $100,000 or less... I wouldn't be too scared. I would however be REALLY scared to fight Fedor... Sure, GSP is strong, but imagine Fedor's heavy hands coming at you? You know, the one hit knock out hands that made his last opponent literally eat canvas... Aye!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by zotling
Constantly referring to him as "the prodidy *****" exposes a little bias here.

Throwing in the towel under the right circumstances is the intelligent thing to do instead of risking serious injury. Often it is actually the cornermen who decide to stop the fight and not the fighter (it's unclear in bj's case). In 2003, Chuck Liddell's corner threw in the towel against his fight with rampage. You had might as well argue that anybody who taps is a *bleep* because they are giving up in order to prevent serious injury.
This guy deserves a biscuit too! Sometimes a cornerman throwing in the towel is the best thing that can happen to a fighter; stubborn cornermen can result in severe injuries or in the worst case scenarios, an in-ring death.

As for P4P best, I'd agree that Fedor is the man, but Anderson Silva, well, no
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb5B6xBZiX8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mgLIdEXqUk

Couture: no, for the same reason:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ5mzXFMUKg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJRnWHZvdcM
Old 02-02-2009, 09:22 PM

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT
GSP said that at the time of the fight, he probably weighed around 187 lbs. For those of you who saw the fight, the guy was absolutely ripped. BJ weighed 168 lbs at the weigh ins and came into the fight at probably no more than 175 lbs. Just to give you an idea of what BJ Penn was up against. I'm sure the cornerman rubbing vaseline on GSP's back and shoulders didn't help either. Regardless, BJ should stay at 155 and forget about moving up in weight. Guys like GSP and Alves are absolute monsters at that weight.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
"Size doesn't make the fighter"

-Bruce Lee

20lbs really isn't that much of a difference for a fighter that is supposed to be as skilled as some of these guys. I've watched Fedor take down guys that were 40lbs more them him with ease. You know why? Because he's a HELL of a fighter. I've seen Cro-Cop take down guys 30-40lbs (or more when he was in pride at his peak)... Again, great fighter.

10-20lbs shouldn't have made that much of a difference.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:08 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX 08
I just find it ironic that everybody was so certain that BJ was going to win. But now that he lost all the excuses come out that he never stood a chance because he was out of shape, he gained weight too fast, that he should of never went up a weight class, that his camp sucked.

If all the BJ fans knew this ahead of time why was everybody so certain he was going to come out the victor??

And I take back the ***** comment lol

I was getting irritated because people tend to put you down on this forum if you happen to disagree with them.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:04 AM

It seems to me that in most of his losses he gases. He's not really get "beat" up. Just gassed.
BJ penn got beat up and gassed out during his fight with GSP

Plus he actually got cut below the eye and was bleeding slightly from his nose (ate a direct punch to the face). I've never seen BJ get cut or bleed in a fight, ever. The cut and the blood wasn't that bad though.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:12 AM

Car Info: 98 RS, 69 camaro, 02 wrx
Originally Posted by brucelee
"Size doesn't make the fighter"

-Bruce Lee

20lbs really isn't that much of a difference for a fighter that is supposed to be as skilled as some of these guys. I've watched Fedor take down guys that were 40lbs more them him with ease. You know why? Because he's a HELL of a fighter. I've seen Cro-Cop take down guys 30-40lbs (or more when he was in pride at his peak)... Again, great fighter.

10-20lbs shouldn't have made that much of a difference.
20lbs is a lot for the lower weight classes! Moving up and down Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight is a lot easier than moving up and down Lightweight and Welterweight.

Lets not forget BJ still won the Welterweight before which is a big accomplishment for someone who is a natural Lightweight.

BJ also fought Lyoto Machida when Machida weighed in at 216lbs or some ****! I mean you have to give it up to the guy even though he has bad work ethic.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:14 AM
General Pimpin'

BJ penn got beat up and gassed out during his fight with GSP

Plus he actually got cut below the eye and was bleeding slightly from his nose (ate a direct punch to the face). I've never seen BJ get cut or bleed in a fight, ever. The cut and the blood wasn't that bad though.
yeah. He's got a very durable face. Good for GSP. I think this will help legitimize him as a truely great fighter. The last fight was an iffy decision but this one was not. I think he had to do this. See how he does over the next couple years. It's a very exciting weight class.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:18 AM

The last fight was an iffy decision but this one was not. .
which one? GSP vs Fitch?

Quick Reply: Who are you for BJ Penn or GSP??????