46.55%
GSP
53.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Who are you for BJ Penn or GSP??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by verc
In terms of strength in the WW division only Anthony Johnson is up there, but skillwise there's no comparison...
when I said there's nobody strong enough, I didn't mean just physically. I meant everything as a whole.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:23 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by Lurk
After all the **** talking and posturing, BJ got completely owned in this fight. GSP dominated in every round, like I knew he would.

BJ looks like 170lbs of chewed bubblegum. He needs to retire.

Nah, this was like Pacman v DLH - Penn doesn't lose anything by losing to GSP.

Penn always looks like that just like Fedor always looks pudgy. You need good genetics, not just the gym or even steroids (lots of pudgy guys have been positive for roids), to be ripped.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by TurnWRX
Nate Diaz loses in a decision to Clay Guida

Karo Parisian wins in a decision against Dong Young Kim

Stephan Bonnar loses in a decision to Jonny Bones Jones.

I really wanted to see Nate pull this one off since I always root for the weaker looking guy, and I like how the Diaz brothers don't give a crap and will fight anybody... it didn't work out though.

This is another fight were the rules of the UFC and the way MMA fights are scored made a "doh!" event.... the fight was fairly even - Guida having an edge in control and it being pretty equal in terms of damage done (if you could even call it that), Guida didn't really threaten Diaz in any way... I can't call this LnP because Guida was never in side control... more like grab the hips and pray. GtHnP.

This fight also was cool in highlighting Judo's flaws - so first of all in Judo you sometimes end up in whack positions after you throw. Even if you watch olympic judo you'll see. In Judo you're supposed to let go of the other guy after you get thrown. The reasoning is to properly perform you breakfall. But if a guy like Guida for example doesn't let go, Judo throws can jack up your positioning. This is one reason why you don't see hip and shoulder throws in wrestling even though they are legal Lot of people don't know that Seoi-nage is in western wrestling too
Old 02-01-2009, 11:36 AM

The other thing I feel needs commentating was the reach thing. UFC measures wingspan instead of armpit to end of fist and it made Penn look horribly mismatched with 70 to 76 inches.

The actual arm length advantage would have been about 2-2.5 inches. (Which is a lot still... because 3 inches is about the most you can quickly pull... which is bad for a guy like Penn whos boxing defense is based around head movement, and he likes pulling instead of slipping)

Even so, armlength measurement isn't accurate. Because people lean into jabs and pull out of them you also need to take into account torso length when it comes to who will be landing easier on who (provided both fighters have equal abilities of distancing).

Last edited by verc; 02-01-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Spoolin415
BJ is cocky for good reason. Anyone around during the golden age at Ralph's can attest to that. No one can touch a properly prepared BJ, but that arrogance is his own worst enemy.

Ralph is one of those guys where he owns you, and he wants his guys to do well but not be better than him. Hence, coming to odds with people like Penn, Camarillo
Old 02-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Who can argue that BJ didn't get ROCKED in the 4th round? He totally got rocked while on the ground... I thought they were going to call the fight.

Like someone said, he said something to his brother, then his brother stopped it.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:11 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX 08
bahaha BJ The Prodigy ***** lost.

He is more of a celeb than a "amazing" fighter. Don't get me wrong.. he is a good fighter but he is not as amazing as people hyped him to be.

JSP trains like an animal and dedicates to the sport %120. He's a very smart and knows how to pick his opponent appart. Since they announced that fight I knew BJ wouldn't stand a chance, especially with his conditioning.

And if you ask me.. to be one of the most pronounced fighters in the UFC
and to have such a momentous fight, you need to bring everything you have to the plate.

And to throw in a towel like that???? That is soooo disreputable

Afterall it seems like popularity contests dont win you fights.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:18 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by verc
Ralph is one of those guys where he owns you, and he wants his guys to do well but not be better than him. Hence, coming to odds with people like Penn, Camarillo
Trust me, I know all about that.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:21 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by thaSicness
bahaha BJ The Prodigy ***** lost.

He is more of a celeb than a "amazing" fighter. Don't get me wrong.. he is a good fighter but he is not as amazing as people hyped him to be.

JSP trains like an animal and dedicates to the sport %120. He's a very smart and knows how to pick his opponent appart. Since they announced that fight I knew BJ wouldn't stand a chance, especially with his conditioning.

And if you ask me.. to be one of the most pronounced fighters in the UFC
and to have such a momentous fight, you need to bring everything you have to the plate.

And to throw in a towel like that???? That is soooo disreputable

Afterall it seems like popularity contests dont win you fights.
Stop. BJ is pound for pound the best.

He lost this fight because:

1: He is a LW, at WW he is tiny and outgunned.
2: His training camp is a vacation compared to others. He just doesn't like putting in the work.

To say he is just "good" says you're either biased or not paying attention.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:07 PM

He is not pound for pound the best fighter. Just because he's weighs less than GSP, Fedor, or Anderson Silva does not make him PFP the best fighter.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:57 PM

Car Info: 05 Saab 92x
B.J. Penn's camp has filed a formal complaint with the Nevada State Athletic Commission over Vaseline that was allegedly rubbed on Georges St. Pierre's back between rounds one and two. UFC president Dana White said at the post-fight press conference that he was aware of the complaint, and said he personally witnessed members of the commission take the Vaseline away from GSP's camp and rebuke them in the Octagon between rounds.

"I saw the commission jump up there and flipping out," said Dana White. They said one of the guys was rubbing Vaseline on Georges' back in between rounds. It was one and two, I think."

"The guys from the athletic commission went up there and started screaming at them. Knocked the Vaseline and kicked the Vaseline out of the Octagon."

White added that "some Vaseline on a guy's back didn't change the outcome of that fight, but you don't do it," and said the blame should fall on the cornerman responsible and not GSP.

"If a guy was intentionally putting Vaseline on a guy's back, he should never corner a mixed martial arts fight again."

http://www.mmascraps.com/2009/02/gre...lly-begun.html
Old 02-01-2009, 08:16 PM

Anybody who thinks BJ Penn is not a world class fighter does not understand the breadth of his career and is probably only familiar with his most recent fights.

Penn has fought at almost every weight class from lightweight to heavyweight. He has fought practically every big name in the ufc at welterweight and lightweight and his only notable losses have been to champions. And to top it all off, he went the distance with Lyoto Machida. Yes, coincidentally the same guy who knocked out Thiago Silva in the co-main event.

I'm a bigger fan of GSP and I was rooting for him to win last night but anyone who denies BJ's phenomenal talent and calls him a cocky SOB...is only half right
Old 02-01-2009, 08:29 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
So, BJ Penn goes into another fight, in a higher weight class, fat and outta shape, loses decisively, then tries to blame Vasoline?

How lame is this guy...
Old 02-01-2009, 08:33 PM
banned

Car Info: WRX STi 2004
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
Stop. BJ is pound for pound the best.

He lost this fight because:

1: He is a LW, at WW he is tiny and outgunned.
2: His training camp is a vacation compared to others. He just doesn't like putting in the work.

To say he is just "good" says you're either biased or not paying attention.
Thank you..someone please teach this dude something...he obviously doent know anything about ufc or mma !!
Old 02-01-2009, 08:37 PM
banned

Car Info: WRX STi 2004
Originally Posted by zotling
Anybody who thinks BJ Penn is not a world class fighter does not understand the breadth of his career and is probably only familiar with his most recent fights.

Penn has fought at almost every weight class from lightweight to heavyweight. He has fought practically every big name in the ufc at welterweight and lightweight and his only notable losses have been to champions. And to top it all off, he went the distance with Lyoto Machida. Yes, coincidentally the same guy who knocked out Thiago Silva in the co-main event.

I'm a bigger fan of GSP and I was rooting for him to win last night but anyone who denies BJ's phenomenal talent and calls him a cocky SOB...is only half right

i agree with you..alot of people dont know anything about BJ and hes career..only what they see on Spike. This dude has been around for a while and is killer!!! Just not a good night for him thats it. He is human.

Quick Reply: Who are you for BJ Penn or GSP??????