Old 01-04-2011, 10:58 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
was the turbo B18 EG hatch white?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
1. You will not be "racing" at a track day. If someone hears you say "race" or mention timing laps for comparison, you will be asked to leave, and for good reason.

2. The car has NOTHING to do with this. It is all up to the driver. Not some tracks, all tracks, anywhere. You could have a Miata and a Z06 go out there and it will be all up to the driver. How could you not know this?

Now, if you say you are going to a track day with a buddy and you are going to swap cars just for fun and have a great time, etc - that is a whole different thing. You do not RACE at a track day. You drive in a high performance fashion.

What's with all the "will car beat other car" crap? That makes no sense at all, and seems odd coming from someone who says they have done loads of track days. Cars need drivers.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
1. You will not be "racing" at a track day. If someone hears you say "race" or mention timing laps for comparison, you will be asked to leave, and for good reason.

2. The car has NOTHING to do with this. It is all up to the driver. Not some tracks, all tracks, anywhere. You could have a Miata and a Z06 go out there and it will be all up to the driver. How could you not know this?

Now, if you say you are going to a track day with a buddy and you are going to swap cars just for fun and have a great time, etc - that is a whole different thing. You do not RACE at a track day. You drive in a high performance fashion.

What's with all the "will car beat other car" crap? That makes no sense at all, and seems odd coming from someone who says they have done loads of track days. Cars need drivers.
Obviously it comes down to the drivers skill but the car plays a huge roll in how that driver can use those skills.

If I were to drive both cars for the first time and I get 10 laps in each car, I'd take the best of the 10 laps for each car and compare which was faster and why. The car plays a large roll and I'm curious to know (as well as anyone who has a car) which goes faster.

When we're at the track we'll be racing each other regardless of what we say we're doing. We probably wont even be on the track at the same time as each other but what's important to us is the lap time, so we're racing the clock to beat one another although we're not even on the track together.

So I guess to answer your question, the reason people feel the need to compare cars in this fashion is due to a natural curiosity of which machine outperforms the other... Much like we've been comparing which man is stronger for the past 10,000 years.

I find it odd that you'd ask someone why they want to know which car goes faster...

So you never drive along and think "Hmmmm, I wonder if that car is faster than mine?"? Obviously "faster" is a subjective word that can be used to describe many situations which are unique to each other but still portray the element of racing.

Having a bad morning or somethin?

Last edited by brucelee; 01-05-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by rau
was the turbo B18 EG hatch white?
Actually yeah, I think it was... It's been a long time but it was light colored, either white or silver.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:19 AM

PS: I'd also just like to add again that he and I are both very similar in terms of driving skill. We've raced each other in everything from go-karts to fishing ( ) and we're always right on par with each other regardless of what we're doing. This is where you can compare the two cars to each other. (of course you can compare drivers too).
Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 AM

Car Info: WRX

Really? When I was doing motorcycle trackdays everyone was timing their laps and trying to one up one another and in A group we were all very very competative. There would be some intense races out there!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by snowflow
Really? When I was doing motorcycle trackdays everyone was timing their laps and trying to one up one another and in A group we were all very very competative. There would be some intense races out there!
Yeah, seriously... Who goes to a track and doesn't compete against anyone or anything? If not racing someone directly then it's racing against a lap time that you set out to beat...

In all the track days I've been to (even when spectating) I have never heard someone say anything about racing as long as there is no danger involved I know the rules of the track and I know you can't go bumping people as you pass, and know to pull aside when someone wants to pass,etc... But having the sense of competition is natural and comes automatically and it also makes it so much more exciting and I think it's just natural to want to one up the person ahead of you. Maybe I'm wrong and it's just me...

I've never been to a track school where you have structure as they teach you how to drive... The track days Ive been to are always private events where people get together and rent the track for the day. There are people there to help you but no real instructors/teachers. We still have different classes and such but no lectures or things of that nature.

Last edited by brucelee; 01-05-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:24 AM

Car Info: WRX
I'm sure they have some guidelines if there is pace groups out there like in moto, the c (novice) group, has 6ft passing cushion, then B group is faster but with a passing cushion, and A group if no restrictions go as fast and aggressive as you want.

I haven't done a car trackday, but do they also do groups?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by snowflow
I'm sure they have some guidelines if there is pace groups out there like in moto, the c (novice) group, has 6ft passing cushion, then B group is faster but with a passing cushion, and A group if no restrictions go as fast and aggressive as you want.

I haven't done a car trackday, but do they also do groups?
Yeah, similar to what you described.

I'd like to attend a track school... I know it's expensive but anyone know how much a 1 or possibly 2 day course would cost? (Any track within driving distance). Anyone know of any good schools, like Skip Barber, etc? I want to take my wife so she can learn more about her car since she's one of the worst drivers in America. I figure I can justify the cost as insurance/preventive. lol
Old 01-05-2011, 11:28 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
i just drove a 2011 g37s last night and i can tell you that it is faster from a roll then a stage 2 sti, I went from 80-130 like nothing
Old 01-05-2011, 01:09 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan

isnt there a whole type of track events dedicated to who can go around the track faster? i think its called "time attack"
Old 01-05-2011, 01:28 PM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
Skip barber @ Laguna is $1k with a miata for 1 day, $1400 for 2 days.

I have a stg.2 LGT, and my buddy has a g37s + 2 or 3 more track days than me.
I got him beat @ Infineon & Laguna, he's got me beat at T.Hill and BW.

Hopefully after i get my new turbo tuned, I'll take the title for all 4 xD

I'll put my money on whoever's been to T.hill the most between you two. If you have the same amount of seat time at that track, I'll bet on whoever has more *****/wants to win more.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:14 PM

Car Info: 2000 AW 2.5RS, 2013 Cadillac Escalade
Yeah, you need to learn to race before taking it at the track. Just know how to turn and how to exit them. Also, when you're at a straight you just WOT and if a person passes you up on the straight just take them in the corners because you have mad cornering skills yo.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by dimsumboi
Yeah, you need to learn to race before taking it at the track. Just know how to turn and how to exit them. Also, when you're at a straight you just WOT and if a person passes you up on the straight just take them in the corners because you have mad cornering skills yo.
If you would have read the thread, we're not racing each other on the track physically, we're just putting down lap times.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by brucelee
Obviously it comes down to the drivers skill but the car plays a huge roll in how that driver can use those skills.
No. The better driver will turn faster laps.

If I were to drive both cars for the first time and I get 10 laps in each car, I'd take the best of the 10 laps for each car and compare which was faster and why. The car plays a large roll and I'm curious to know (as well as anyone who has a car) which goes faster.
That process sounds okay, but just to be clear, the car has almost no role in the outcome on a race track. It really does not matter. It is all up to the driver. I've seen Vipers and Corvettes get the blue/yellow for Civics and Miatas and based on what you say, it would seem that situation would never happen since one car is "faster" than the other. I also remember a 1st timer who got very heated with an instructor because he had to drive his "fast" Z06 with all the "slow" cars. He crashed his new Z06 on the back straight and was not "faster" than any of the "slow" cars that day. So. Yeah.

When we're at the track we'll be racing each other regardless of what we say we're doing. We probably wont even be on the track at the same time as each other but what's important to us is the lap time, so we're racing the clock to beat one another although we're not even on the track together.
Great! Just don't blab about it or make it obvious.

So I guess to answer your question, the reason people feel the need to compare cars in this fashion is due to a natural curiosity of which machine outperforms the other... Much like we've been comparing which man is stronger for the past 10,000 years.
Do you not see a difference between comparing which man is stronger and which "car is faster"? When you see the difference there, you may come to understand what I am saying (not that you need to).

I find it odd that you'd ask someone why they want to know which car goes faster...
Really? It's a ridiculous question. It's like asking which bicycle is faster. We have even seen on Top Gear when they drag raced two cars back to back, switching driver/car and one driver won both races. Does it really matter what the individual cars' capabilities are? Absolutely not - it's meaningless info.

So you never drive along and think "Hmmmm, I wonder if that car is faster than mine?"?
No, though before I started doing track days I did. Once I learned that the vehicle makes no difference whatsoever after loads of first-hand experience on race tracks, the question went away.

Obviously "faster" is a subjective word that can be used to describe many situations which are unique to each other but still portray the element of racing.
What?

Having a bad morning or somethin?
Essentially, my post was a warning as after being and working at race tracks for a few years, I have seen people show up like this and talk about racing or comparing times and then get ejected due to the fact that any competition whatsoever during a "high performance driving event" will render most race track's insurance void.

Basically, I wanted to say: be safe, don't do anything stupid, compare your lap times if you like but keep any of that between you two. Don't be all "man I almost HAD you" and stuff and definitely don't crash.

I guess the fact that I disagree with some of what you say makes you think I am in a bad mood. Mood is difficult to judge with writing since you read the words back in any tone you choose. Currently in New York City and having a great time.

Have a safe and awesome time at your track day. I can't wait to get back on a track again some day.

Quick Reply: Who would win in a race? Tuned STi VS a 2010 G37S