View Poll Results: Will you be getting the new iPhone?
Hell yea!
48.74%
Nope, I'm happy with what I have
51.26%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Who will be getting The new iPhone 4, NOT verizon customers haha!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:20 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
So will this version finally have zoom on its camera/video?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
The one out right now does, it's a free app.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:28 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
If I got my 3g in March 09, Can I upgrade to the Iphone 4?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:34 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
"The camera on the back of the new phone is 5 megapixels, with a 5X digital zoom, and has an LED flash. It also has a micro-SIM tray."

To go along with the other things that they have improved on this phone, they have also made it even thinner (only 9.3 millimeters as opposed to the current 3GS at 12 millimeters thick.

Also, I didn't really see mention of this so far in this thread.

"Another key improvement: The battery life will be 7 hours, about 40 percent better than it is now for the 3GS model, said Gartenberg."
Old 06-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
thats my favorite part of the iphone 4, the battery life. A4 chip kicks *** in power consumption.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
Originally Posted by Jin
thats my favorite part of the iphone 4, the battery life. A4 chip kicks *** in power consumption.
YES! this means ill def. have enough juice to stream a live MLB game and watch it till the end

whoooooooot

Last edited by zumnwrx; 06-08-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Jin
It remains to be seen how much in reality. Since this phone will have multi-tasking, we will see how power efficient it really is.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Old School

I left AT&T and am selling my 3G 8gb and 3GS 16gb. I'm hoping the money I make off the jailbroken phones will offset the $400 for two new EVOs.

So far I like sprint a lot. I haven't had a drop call to date, I have perfect service right here at my desk. The data is not as fast, but what's the point if you can't even get service. I'm glad to be gone, and done with AT&T.

The cheaper monthly cost for 2 phones will be nice too. Over time, it will easily make up for the ETF I'm gonna end up paying ($175/line I believe)

I like my phone a lot. I can customize each page exactly how I like it, not just move apps around. The camera is really nice, the video is great. It's very fast. I can run multiple apps or I can kill them all off with one click. So far I've been averaging over 12hrs of battery life to 2bars (out of 10), so reviewers can **** off about battery life. It's all about how you use and manage the phone. I surf alot, and do a lot of emails with my phones, SMS, and facebook. When I'm not using it, I kill apps, and put it to standby. The screen is really nice on the Evo. It's large, and has great color/contrast.

I hope the iOS/Iphone4 has a way to turn apps off, otherwise the battery life will more than likely be worse than 3gs.

I really do like the screen on the iphone4. That's a lot of pixels. But "retina display" is stupid, cause they didn't invent or use some special technology, they just crammed in more pixels. I don't care much for anything else. It's not a huge leap, at least not as huge as people make it out to be.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:38 AM

Car Info: 4日本車
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I left AT&T and am selling my 3G 8gb and 3GS 16gb. I'm hoping the money I make off the jailbroken phones will offset the $400 for two new EVOs.

So far I like sprint a lot. I haven't had a drop call to date, I have perfect service right here at my desk. The data is not as fast, but what's the point if you can't even get service. I'm glad to be gone, and done with AT&T.

The cheaper monthly cost for 2 phones will be nice too. Over time, it will easily make up for the ETF I'm gonna end up paying ($175/line I believe)

I like my phone a lot. I can customize each page exactly how I like it, not just move apps around. The camera is really nice, the video is great. It's very fast. I can run multiple apps or I can kill them all off with one click. So far I've been averaging over 12hrs of battery life to 2bars (out of 10), so reviewers can **** off about battery life. It's all about how you use and manage the phone. I surf alot, and do a lot of emails with my phones, SMS, and facebook. When I'm not using it, I kill apps, and put it to standby. The screen is really nice on the Evo. It's large, and has great color/contrast.

I hope the iOS/Iphone4 has a way to turn apps off, otherwise the battery life will more than likely be worse than 3gs.

I really do like the screen on the iphone4. That's a lot of pixels. But "retina display" is stupid, cause they didn't invent or use some special technology, they just crammed in more pixels. I don't care much for anything else. It's not a huge leap, at least not as huge as people make it out to be.
QFT ^^^^

I absolutely love taking pictures with the EVO! The dual-LED flash works amazingly well...although honestly it's TOO amazing, as the two tiny LEDs emit so much damn light that it ends up being a negative feature since your picture will commonly come out with the hotspot in the center, and the colors get eclipsed from the excessive lighting produced. This is still a cell phone though, and as such I am griping about something that matters to people who enjoy photography, not the younger facebook crowd looking to snap some drunk boob flashing at the bar or house party. I just realized how great it feels to gripe about something like having an 8Mp camera in my cell phone with too bright a flash, as opposed to shaking my head in frustration daily over my iPhone's inability to display something as old and established (in the tech world's timeline) as Flash content. Life is good right now, ah yes.

Another thing I have noticed so far is that joltdude is absolutely spot-on with the battery life comment. So much of the internet was up in arms leading up to the EVO's actual retail release date, about how horrible the battery in the phone is. What a joke! The phone lasts at least as long as my iPhone 3GS, and my iPhone is barely coming up on 10 months from purchase, so the battery should be in capable condition. The issue is made even better by the fact that the EVO uses a removable battery, simply buy a spare battery for travel or emergencies, and suddenly having a charger for every room in the house, every vehicle, the office, low tide, holidays, blue moons, and leap years, is made pointless by having the option of slapping a fully juiced little battery into your phone. Cannot do that one with my 3GS. I do heavy web browsing on a day-to-day basis, combined with regular calling, text, and email use; music is more of a sporadic thing that comes and goes when I'm in the mood for a couple hours of tunes, as opposed to a daily necessity on my phone, although I am sure that would be different if my DD had a stereo system capable of interfacing in any way with a phone/PMD. Obviously someone would have a car charger for a phone being used for heavy browsing and/or multimedia throughout the day, especially if also serving duty as one's in-car audio source. Have not really noticed anything differentiating the actual music listening experience on the EVO from the iPhone, but that's not a bad thing considering the iPhone's music abilities were pulled from a device (iPod) that was and is the world's most popular portable music player.

As there is no 4g coverage for us folks here in Northern California (or the large majority of the country for that matter) I have not been able to test out the WiMax performance, both concerning the battery life while 4g is enabled and being used, as well as the actual browsing and media streaming performance. I look forward to the 4g service coming online in San Francisco sometime in the 2nd half of this year so that I can make full use of the phone's abilities whenever visiting the city. Although only on 3g data, the EVO loads pages noticeably quicker than my iPhone 3GS does on 3g. I will be testing them both out on a WiFi connection, most likely an .11n wireless connection since the EVO's wireless chip (Broadcom) can handle a/b/g and n. I have a feeling it will destroy my iPhone 3GS on WiFi performance, but the iPhone 4 will almost assuredly have .11n as well since Apple also likes to use Broadcom chips.

I believe someone in this thread mentioned the Samsung Galaxy phone that is coming out on T-Mobile pretty soon, and that is another phone to watch out for. Ultra thin, AMOLED displays never looked so good! There are going to be a slew of new Android 2.1 and 2.2 touch-screen phones coming to retail over the next few months, so it's going to be exciting to see how the smartphone battle heats up with Apple throwing their billions into marketing the new iPhone to do battle with actual competition from within AT&T as well as the other 3 major carriers. Apple is going to realize the dream is over, and the other phone manufacturers finally have formulas for making great phones, with great touch displays, solid and simple user interfaces, seamless multimedia streaming and browsing, and so on. I just hope that it lights a fire up Steve Jobs' giant ego, and gets him to make the iPhone 4 refresh for 2011 what the iPhone 4 SHOULD and COULD have been already. He needs to stop excluding the little features within browsing, mail, and various other areas of the integrated apps and iOS (I will not even begin to make a list as it's not worth the time), that really cause frustration for anyone wanting to use their iPhone for productivity and not just music playback, twitter, texting, or browsing. I hope this thread continues through the iPhone 4 launch so we can get first-hand reviews from new iPhone 4 owners, as well as any new EVO owners over the next few weeks.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:19 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by flukewrx
"Another key improvement: The battery life will be 7 hours, about 40 percent better than it is now for the 3GS model, said Gartenberg."
Is this supposed to be max battery life, aka, standby the whole day in the strongest signal so you'll never approach that time in a real world setting?

If so, how the hell did people use the 3GS model? Only 5 hours of battery life? wtf?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
Is this supposed to be max battery life, aka, standby the whole day in the strongest signal so you'll never approach that time in a real world setting?

If so, how the hell did people use the 3GS model? Only 5 hours of battery life? wtf?
From Apple's website....

Talk time:
Up to 7 hours on 3G
Up to 14 hours on 2G

Standby time: Up to 300 hours

Internet use:
Up to 6 hours on 3G
Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi

Video playback: Up to 10 hours

Audio playback: Up to 40 hours
Old 06-09-2010, 09:57 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
turn off push notifications and the battery lasts for days
Old 06-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by irrational x
turn off push notifications and the battery lasts for days
This is true.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Old School

ON my 3g, I'd run the battery to 20% (when a warning for battery comes on) in about 7hrs. On several occasions my phone would turn off before I'd even have left work for home. Now, that's only about 6-7hrs total, and most of the time it would be sitting on my desk in sleep. So, I think Apple's hours are to be taken with a grain of salt, cause without my extended battery cover, I couldn't use 3g at all, cause the battery would drain super fast. With the extended battery cover I was able to go to about 12-13hrs before I needed a charge on 3g.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:33 AM

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX
So excited for the new iPhone..cant wait to pre order my 32gb in a couple days.

Anyone wanna buy an 8gb 3g iPhone for $150? PM me.

Quick Reply: Who will be getting The new iPhone 4, NOT verizon customers haha!