Who wants a MR2 for $17k?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 05:31 PM

Car Info: 2015 Forester XT SWP
Originally Posted by sigma pi
200-300 MR2s for A YEAR, I will give you few and far between here in the US

0 imported into the US for the 22b

22b was a one year only car. So 400 examples only
I never said the 22B was imported into the US, is that where the confusion is? I was using it as an example of a rare car, and therefore very valuable to those who know and appreciate it for what it is. That is all. Just like the 94 MR2 Turbo is a rare car and valuable to those who appreciate it. It doesn't matter how many 91-93 MR2s were sold, they aren't the 94 Turbo.

Think of it this way, 2009 was the last year that Honda imported the S2000 into the US. They sold 885 (if you count the 90 leftovers that were sold over the next two years) according to wikipedia. Now pretend that it is the year 2018 and some dude brings a completely original, unmolested, low mile 2009 S2000 out of his garage and puts it up for sale. It will be worth considerably more to S2000 fans than whatever Kelley Blue Book says. And he'll most likely get what he's asking for it because it will be up against a bunch of other S2000s with neon lights and ghetto bodykits. Plus, there were 884 others sold, far more than the 200-300 MR2 turbos in 94.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Su is awesome. He was my neighbor for years. Really cool and down to earth guy. I think he owns a Forester.
That's great, Su did my trans swap and clutch on my last MR-2 Spyder. Couldn't have been happier. He was doing a 3S-GTE swap on a Camry All-Trac when I was there.

If people are getting worked up about this MR2, this should really grind some gears!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-Toyota-4Runner-DLX-4WD-Mint-Condition-Garaged-Low-Miles-One-Owner-/261257063458?ViewItem=&item=261257063458&forcev4exp=true#ht_2834wt_1186
An '86 4Runner w/ 91k miles that is already up to nearly $10k on eBay. Two days left!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:55 PM

Car Info: a blue car.
^^^I'm actually looking for a MR2 Spyder over the other 2 models Could do better in the looks department, but the MR-S is tolerable and that's not the point in the MR-S for me.

Too bad, I will most likely have to pay a pretty penny for one with a LSD.

Last edited by Kaimino; 08-05-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:00 PM

Car Info: 2015 Forester XT SWP
Originally Posted by Kaimino
^^^I'm actually looking for a MR2 Spyder over the other 2 models Could do better in the looks department, but the MR-S is tolerable and that's not the point in the MR-S for me.

The coolest thing (for me anyway) of the spyder models was the easily removable center stack. Toyota actually had the foresight to make the radio/climate control module easy to pop out to minimize weight for track use.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:08 PM
VIP Member

I'm not sure we ever got one with LSD factory. The Celica GT-S 6spd swaps in with some minor mods to the shifter assembly, and while it's out swap in a LSD unit.. Great choice for a Spyder.

I really loved mine and miss it. It had a few things done to it, and it was tons of fun. I think more than 1,000lbs less weight than a 2nd Gen Turbo. Mine was around 2100lbs.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:18 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Darth Wagon
I never said the 22B was imported into the US, is that where the confusion is? I was using it as an example of a rare car, and therefore very valuable to those who know and appreciate it for what it is. That is all. Just like the 94 MR2 Turbo is a rare car and valuable to those who appreciate it. It doesn't matter how many 91-93 MR2s were sold, they aren't the 94 Turbo.

Think of it this way, 2009 was the last year that Honda imported the S2000 into the US. They sold 885 (if you count the 90 leftovers that were sold over the next two years) according to wikipedia. Now pretend that it is the year 2018 and some dude brings a completely original, unmolested, low mile 2009 S2000 out of his garage and puts it up for sale. It will be worth considerably more to S2000 fans than whatever Kelley Blue Book says. And he'll most likely get what he's asking for it because it will be up against a bunch of other S2000s with neon lights and ghetto bodykits. Plus, there were 884 others sold, far more than the 200-300 MR2 turbos in 94.
So I am saying

World wide 400 22bs
World wide 5,398 MR2s 1995 (yes I know not all were turbo or MT)

USA 0 22bs
USA 93 MR2s 1995 (again turbo and MT figures not known)

I am saying just looking at those numbers alone and forget the fact the MR2 was more than a one year production.

I am not saying 22B is ultra rare like a Bugatti type 57 Atlantic, I am saying that a 22b is rare and the mr2 is no where near the Bugatti (only two left). This is why I would say MR2 is hard to come by or few and far between.

I agree, if that is what some one pays, then that is what it is worth to them. The Type 57 atlantic isnt worth 50 million to me but to others yes, and its ultra rare.

Last edited by sigma pi; 08-05-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Wagon
The coolest thing (for me anyway) of the spyder models was the easily removable center stack. Toyota actually had the foresight to make the radio/climate control module easy to pop out to minimize weight for track use.
Oh that's even better! Although I'm skeptical in removing too much weight in front of the driver since weight distribution is already rear biased.

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I'm not sure we ever got one with LSD factory. The Celica GT-S 6spd swaps in with some minor mods to the shifter assembly, and while it's out swap in a LSD unit.. Great choice for a Spyder.

I really loved mine and miss it. It had a few things done to it, and it was tons of fun. I think more than 1,000lbs less weight than a 2nd Gen Turbo. Mine was around 2100lbs.
04 and 05 models had the Torsen LSD as an OPTION, which makes it even harder to find And I remember reading on Spyderchat that the Celica 6-speed won't fit without structural modding, it would have to be a TRD one (1-5 gear ratios exactly the same as stock MR-S, but with an extra cruising 6th-gear) from Europe, which is even more $$$. Or go aftermarket, which is equally $$$ with labor an parts alone.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:35 PM
VIP Member

Oh that's even better! Although I'm skeptical in removing too much weight in front of the driver since weight distribution is already rear biased.

04 and 05 models had the Torsen LSD as an OPTION, which makes it even harder to find And I remember reading on Spyderchat that the Celica 6-speed won't fit without structural modding, it would have to be a TRD one (1-5 gear ratios exactly the same as stock MR-S, but with an extra cruising 6th-gear) from Europe, which is even more $$$. Or go aftermarket, which is equally $$$ with labor an parts alone.
I used to add weight to the FRUNK on mine for track days... Heh. You can put 10lb gym weights on the spare tire holder... Tire pressure and weights were the most sensitive in that car over any other car I did track days in, but it was so much fun.

The guy I bought my 5spd from was swapping in a Matrix 6spd. I have talked to a bunch of people that have done it, only mod I knew of was to the shifter setup. Never heard of a "TRD 6spd" or one w/ the same 1-5 ratios. The 6spd was a "close ratio" designed more for the 2ZZ, usually came bolted to 2ZZs, and the final drive was the same but gears were closer in ratio to keep the 2ZZ in it's powerband. That was a major reason I went with another 5spd, because for me it would just be more shifting, and I looked into the 6spd because of 4krpm@80mph. Hit fuel cut in 5th @ 125mph. Su @ Aggressive would be able to do it, and I think has done a few. To be honest I never needed or felt I needed an LSD in my Spyder and I did loads of track days in that car. Might be useful with more power.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I used to add weight to the FRUNK on mine for track days... Heh. You can put 10lb gym weights on the spare tire holder... Tire pressure and weights were the most sensitive in that car over any other car I did track days in, but it was so much fun.

The guy I bought my 5spd from was swapping in a Matrix 6spd. I have talked to a bunch of people that have done it, only mod I knew of was to the shifter setup. Never heard of a "TRD 6spd" or one w/ the same 1-5 ratios. The 6spd was a "close ratio" designed more for the 2ZZ, usually came bolted to 2ZZs, and the final drive was the same but gears were closer in ratio to keep the 2ZZ in it's powerband. That was a major reason I went with another 5spd, because for me it would just be more shifting, and I looked into the 6spd because of 4krpm@80mph. Hit fuel cut in 5th @ 125mph. Su @ Aggressive would be able to do it, and I think has done a few. To be honest I never needed or felt I needed an LSD in my Spyder and I did loads of track days in that car. Might be useful with more power.
Maybe it wasn't a TRD, but Euro-spec did come with a 6-speed option for the the 1ZZ specifically (1ZZ-FE is the only engine ever to be fitted to the MR-S from the factory worldwide), which is the same 5-speed with the extra cruising 6th, at least that's what I read somewhere. I'll try to dig around for the source again.

When I test drove one, the car was indeed very neutral and handled pretty awesome out-of-the-box (better than I expected actually being the softest of the 3 MR2s), but I could still feel the outside wheel spinning at certain moments. Just entertaining the idea if having a LSD will eliminate that slipping. I still love the car though.

Last edited by Kaimino; 08-05-2013 at 07:00 PM.