Who wants a MR2 for $17k?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:50 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
I don't doubt it will go for something like $14-15k. Might get more if he had Pho Shizzle do some paint correction on it Maybe just bad pics but the paint, although not faded or cracked like most 90s red cars, looks like it could use some work. The miles are pretty darn low too.

Last edited by 04GG; 08-02-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Car Info: Stage 2 '13 WRX hatch
It seems a lot of you aren't familiar with the MR2 market. 94 and 95 MR2's are quite rare in the US. Toyota MR2 Wiki and FAQ - AllModels: Worldwide Production Numbers . I think he should have no trouble getting somewhere near his asking price from someone who knows about these cars.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:17 PM

Car Info: 2015 Forester XT SWP
Originally Posted by aznpride65o
Being that its an original 94 turbo with less then 100k and pretty clean condition I can see it going for $15k. MR2's are being very rare and 94-95's are just plain unicorn cars. You guys dont even want to see how much 94-95's go for on MR2oc if you think 17k is a lot. All those JDM and TRD parts are discontinued as well and super hard to find. I am a little biased though, I use to own a MR2 and want another lol.
Thank you for stating what should be obvious. I had a 93 in the same color, and would kill for another 93 or a 94 Turbo. 99.9% of the MR2s available for sale today have over 100K miles and have been given the brotard treatment by some stupid kid. If I had the money I would buy it without thinking twice, I might offer lower to see if there's some wiggle room but I would pay what he's asking if I could.

Originally Posted by Sasco
It seems a lot of you aren't familiar with the MR2 market. 94 and 95 MR2's are quite rare in the US. Toyota MR2 Wiki and FAQ - AllModels: Worldwide Production Numbers . I think he should have no trouble getting somewhere near his asking price from someone who knows about these cars.
Agreed. I was digging into the mental archives and was thinking there were around 500 sold in the US that year. Thanks for posting the link.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:29 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by Darth Wagon
99.9% of the MR2s available for sale today have over 100K miles and have been given the brotard treatment by some stupid kid.
^THIS is the real problem. RARELY do I ever see clean MR2s period, let alone clean turbos.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:33 PM

Car Info: a blue car.
I figured it's gonna be reasonable somewhere, similar to how swapped GCs can go for as much as a used STI. I've been looking at MR2s lately, just never seen one going for this much so I posted this for more insight.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:23 PM

Car Info: Stage 2 '13 WRX hatch
Originally Posted by Kaimino
I figured it's gonna be reasonable somewhere, similar to how swapped GCs can go for as much as a used STI. I've been looking at MR2s lately, just never seen one going for this much so I posted this for more insight.
It's cool, not everyone browses MR2OC everyday like I do .
Old 08-02-2013, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sasco
It's cool, not everyone browses MR2OC everyday like I do .
Ha! I used to live on IMOC.

I never should have opened this thread. I miss my Mister Two now.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:31 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
I still dont get why its worth that much... After everything is said and done, its still a MR2... To each their own I suppose.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:33 PM

Car Info: 03 bucket stage 11/32
Originally Posted by 04GG
I don't doubt it will go for something like $14-15k. Might get more if he had Pho Shizzle do some paint correction on it Maybe just bad pics but the paint, although not faded or cracked like most 90s red cars, looks like it could use some work. The miles are pretty darn low too.
This that paint looks swirled to ****, that or the picture was taken with a camera from the 80s and then scanned onto the computer.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
I still dont get why its worth that much... After everything is said and done, its still a MR2... To each their own I suppose.
Different strokes for different folks. They're not for everyone, but fans of the car looking for an unmolested low mile example will pay it.

Remember, there were only 600 or so 94 MR2s imported. And who knows how many of those had the turbo engine.

I mean, why is a 22B worth so much? 'Cause they're rare. Same with this MR2.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:23 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
ah.. do I miss my mister2....
Old 08-02-2013, 06:29 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Different strokes for different folks. They're not for everyone, but fans of the car looking for an unmolested low mile example will pay it.

Remember, there were only 600 or so 94 MR2s imported. And who knows how many of those had the turbo engine.

I wouldnt buy a 22B. I like to drive my cars though. Paying so much more for a garage queen is a waste of money to me but you're absolutely right... different strokes for different folks.

Anyway carry on!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:03 PM

Car Info: hopes and dreams
I swear half the guys from mr2oc are now on iclub lol
Old 08-03-2013, 08:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
I wouldnt buy a 22B. I like to drive my cars though. Paying so much more for a garage queen is a waste of money to me but you're absolutely right... different strokes for different folks.

Anyway carry on!
Who cares what someone else wants to spend their money on? I have a friend who paid more for a chandelier than my WRX cost me. I think that's insane, but I would be pretty dumb to tell him that he made a bad decision based on my value system.

So, I don't get all worked up over a very rare car that someone maintained carefully for the last 20 years. It costs money to maintain and store a vehicle for 20 years. Also because I have a 1991 Justy that, after doing some math, has absorbed around $14k over the last seven years. I would be lucky to sell that car for $2500 because "it's just a Justy, man..." but try and find one other in this country for sale!!? There isn't one. Even if there is one, it won't be maintained and kept at the level that mine is. I have never seen a Justy in this kind of condition, but that doesn't matter to someone who knows nothing about cars and sees this as just a cheap little car.

Most people think that I am really stupid for spending so much money on a tiny little car that I have loved so much for the last few years (transmissions, clutches, water pumps oh my). A very small percentage of those people have taken it for a drive or ridden with me and begins to understand. It's more like a tiny Fiat in a Subaru suit, and if you want cheap, reliable transportation - this is not it. But there is not much else out there that you can drive down a MTB trail, has true 4x4 and drives/handles like a Justy does, and is also a Subaru if that's important to you. The same people that do not understand my Justy also think that a $25k Classic Mini is cool. I used to own and drive a RHD '68 Mini Cooper and while that was a neat little car, the Justy is far more rare, way more useful and so much more fun. But it's worth nothing because most people do not even know what it is (even Subaru dealers).

Anyway, just trying to offer some perspective. "Value" in regards to special-interest vehicles, is not something you can learn about in a book.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:44 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX

129,977 MR2 made it to the usa. On average, even with 1995, 10,831 a year sold here. Hell even if we randomly say 10% are turbo thats still 1,083 per year.

Hell I will go one better, the 1995 model that was the last one sold here
5,398 sold world wide

400 22b were made ever. Total exported out of Japan 0

I think your definition of "rare" is waaaaaaay off.

Last edited by sigma pi; 08-03-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Who wants a MR2 for $17k?