Who wants a MR2 for $17k?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:18 AM

Car Info: Stage 2 '13 WRX hatch
Originally Posted by sigma pi
129,977 MR2 made it to the usa. On average, even with 1995, 10,831 a year sold here. Hell even if we randomly say 10% are turbo thats still 1,083 per year.

Hell I will go one better, the 1995 model that was the last one sold here
5,398 sold world wide

400 22b were made ever. Total exported out of Japan 0

I think your definition of "rare" is waaaaaaay off.
I think there were 16 or so 22b's officially imported to England weren't there? I seem to remember there being a "22b Type UK" or something like that. Can anyone chime in?

The 94-95 MR2's were not the same as the 91-93 so it isn't just the year of production that made them rare (in North America, anyway). The MR2 is kind of a specialty car, so the people that are in the market for these are usually willing to pay a premium price for a low mileage, unmolested example. Even N/A 94-95 MR2's can fetch $10k; and since the Turbo models were way less common, that will drive the price of these up as well.

On a side note, I can't understand how anyone can have such a "meh" attitude towards MR2's. Mid-engined, turbo, Toyota. What's not to love?

Old 08-03-2013, 02:10 PM

Car Info: 2015 Forester XT SWP
Originally Posted by sigma pi
129,977 MR2 made it to the usa. On average, even with 1995, 10,831 a year sold here. Hell even if we randomly say 10% are turbo thats still 1,083 per year.

Hell I will go one better, the 1995 model that was the last one sold here
5,398 sold world wide

400 22b were made ever. Total exported out of Japan 0

I think your definition of "rare" is waaaaaaay off.
??? Who cares about world wide?

I wasn't defining "rare" only making a comparison between the two based on numbers sold in the market they were available. 600ish 94 MR2s imported, of which I'm guessing maybe 200-300 were turbos. None of your other figures matter because they weren't for the 1994 model year or based on US figures. I'm saying 200-300 MR2s, you're saying 400 22Bs. Why is that waaaaaay off?
Old 08-03-2013, 02:56 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by Sasco
On a side note, I can't understand how anyone can have such a "meh" attitude towards MR2's. Mid-engined, turbo, Toyota. What's not to love?

Poor mans Ferrari. I'll take an FD over it.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:14 PM

Car Info: wrx wagon 05
you think that price is crazy i came from the B5 audi S4 community you should see what those guys think S4's are worth... haha "bro its going to be a classic one day a collectors car..."
Old 08-03-2013, 08:23 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Just got tipped off on this bad boy

Anyone interested in a serious car that could win SCCA FP nationally? It needs to be finished, but I am considering selling the turbo MR2 at a loss. This was one of the fastest cars in SSM trim, and in FP, I was taking out 400 pounds of weight. I just don't have the time to finish the build. Motor alone has over $15K in upgrades (but needs a rebuild). I have lexan to replace the glass. Interior and dash have been removed. I was going to replace hood and fenders and lids (still have them all) with Carbon Fiber. I keep telling myself I will get back on this project, but I have been racing the GP Fiat and just don't have to spare time right now.

Code:
SSM or XP Classed MR2

Quick Stats:
343whp/303tq on 100U
361whp/314tq on 110L

Chassis:
1991 MR2 Hardtop (originally a non-turbo model)
Nautical Blue color
Zero options except PS and ABS

Engine:
2.14L MCS-built forged stroker 8500-rpm MR2 turbo motor.
KO Racing GT2871 ball-bearing turbo kit
Hydra Nemesis EMS tuned by RickyB at Turbohoses R&D
Blitz SBC i-D boost controller
Custom intake to Celica manifold, RSR exhaust with silencer

Fuel:
5-gal trunk-mount fuel cell with working stock fuel level gauge
SX fuel pump with pre/post filters
Wolfkatz Engineering 84lb injectors and rail
Aeromotive FPR

Drivetrain:
Hybrid MR2/Camry manual transmission (for ideal autox gearing)
Kaaz 1.5-way clutch type LSD
Fidanza lightweight flywheel
Clutchmasters Stage 3 clutch
ChicoRaceWorks lifetime guarantee axles

Suspension/Steering:
Suspension modeled in Susprog3D, file included
Custom built Koni double-adjustable 8611 coilovers, spare springs included
Custom front camber/caster plates
T3 modified rear camber plates
ST and TRD adjustable front sway bars
GAB f/r strut tower bars (not installed)
Vmax performance steering pinion (quicker)

Wheels/Tires:
(2) Bogart 15x10 w/ 275/35/15 Hoosier A6 (front)
(2) SSR Competition 18x10.5 w/ 315/30/18 Hoosier A6 (rear)
(2) CCW 17x12 w/ 315/35/17 Hoosier A6 (optional rear)

Other:
APR wing with elements placed using CFD software modeling
Sparco Ultra driver and passenger seats (13# each) w/custom fixed rails
Lightweight Odyssey battery
Wilwood brake prop valve (ABS disabled)
Seller = https://www.facebook.com/randychase
Old 08-03-2013, 10:15 PM

Car Info: (sold)2004 WRB STi, MY05 WRX Wagon
My sister had a 91 MR2 hardtop and was part of the club "Deuces Wild". First time I saw someone giving the deuces to another car of the same kind. And yeah, MR2s in a good condition is rare. Majority of the ones I've seen are pretty beat up. Still, I never liked the sticky accel. pedal but always liked the look of it
Old 08-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Car Info: 06 sti
I had 2 mr2s. Turbo and non turbo. These cars in nice condition are pretty rare, especially turbo models. Pretty much all are beat up unless well maintained, garage kept as "collectors car", such as that one. I sold mine for 9k 140k mi with simple bolt ons 3 yrs Ago.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
I hate the Toyota crowd. And the MR2 community blows. And the development blows, too. That's saying something when my Subaru has more development than the MR2's.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:59 AM

Car Info: Stage 2 '13 WRX hatch
Originally Posted by darkonion
I hate the Toyota crowd. And the MR2 community blows. And the development blows, too. That's saying something when my Subaru has more development than the MR2's.
Sorry you feel that way, my experience with the MR2 community has been amazing, so much so that I still attend many of the meets even though I don't have an MR2 anymore.

At my first MR2OC meet in Union City I didn't know anyone, but I had a lot of people come up and introduce themselves, compliment my car (91 n/a beater), etc. And anytime I've ever needed questions answered I could just head over to Aggressive Performance and talk to Su. Hell, one time I went over there to see if he could fix my swaybar but he said he didn't want to charge me to fix something so simple, so he handed me the part I needed and the tools and showed me how to fix it myself for free! And that was the first time I ever met the guy too.

I've only been to one i-club meet, but I felt like everyone was kinda in their own little groups and although I tried to inject myself into them I just felt like an outcast for some reason. I do remember talking to you (Kevin) for a bit because we both had L's, but after that my experience wasn't so great... I almost didn't register for BAM this year but the raffle prizes piqued my interest, lol (and the annual MR2 meet is this month too, wasn't sure I wanted to go to both).

You're right about the parts development thing as far as big name companies, but there are lots of smaller shops that still pump out new parts for these cars (TCS Motorsports, ATS Racing, Chico Race Works, etc).

Sorry for going on a rant about this, but it's something I'm very passionate about. The people I've met from MR2OC have literally changed my life. I wouldn't even have the career I have now if one of the members hadn't offered me a job back in 2009 when I was unemployed. I wouldn't have started doing autocross If a few of the members didn't convince me to try it out, etc. etc. etc.

end_thread_derail
}
Old 08-05-2013, 09:27 AM

Car Info: under 3k RPM's
Originally Posted by aznpride65o
I swear half the guys from mr2oc are now on iclub lol
Lol truth.

Edit: @ sasco, mr2sdays at landing... I do miss.

Last edited by StRyKeR; 08-05-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:54 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by darkonion
aaaaaaannd thats why no body like DO
Old 08-05-2013, 09:56 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Darth Wagon
??? Who cares about world wide?

I wasn't defining "rare" only making a comparison between the two based on numbers sold in the market they were available. 600ish 94 MR2s imported, of which I'm guessing maybe 200-300 were turbos. None of your other figures matter because they weren't for the 1994 model year or based on US figures. I'm saying 200-300 MR2s, you're saying 400 22Bs. Why is that waaaaaay off?
200-300 MR2s for A YEAR, I will give you few and far between here in the US

0 imported into the US for the 22b

22b was a one year only car. So 400 examples only

Last edited by sigma pi; 08-05-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:05 PM

Car Info: 06 sti

Sorry you feel that way, my experience with the MR2 community has been amazing, so much so that I still attend many of the meets even though I don't have an MR2 anymore.

At my first MR2OC meet in Union City I didn't know anyone, but I had a lot of people come up and introduce themselves, compliment my car (91 n/a beater), etc. And anytime I've ever needed questions answered I could just head over to Aggressive Performance and talk to Su. Hell, one time I went over there to see if he could fix my swaybar but he said he didn't want to charge me to fix something so simple, so he handed me the part I needed and the tools and showed me how to fix it myself for free! And that was the first time I ever met the guy too.

I've only been to one i-club meet, but I felt like everyone was kinda in their own little groups and although I tried to inject myself into them I just felt like an outcast for some reason. I do remember talking to you (Kevin) for a bit because we both had L's, but after that my experience wasn't so great... I almost didn't register for BAM this year but the raffle prizes piqued my interest, lol (and the annual MR2 meet is this month too, wasn't sure I wanted to go to both).

You're right about the parts development thing as far as big name companies, but there are lots of smaller shops that still pump out new parts for these cars (TCS Motorsports, ATS Racing, Chico Race Works, etc).

Sorry for going on a rant about this, but it's something I'm very passionate about. The people I've met from MR2OC have literally changed my life. I wouldn't even have the career I have now if one of the members hadn't offered me a job back in 2009 when I was unemployed. I wouldn't have started doing autocross If a few of the members didn't convince me to try it out, etc. etc. etc.

end_thread_derail
}
I agree with every said above. Mr2 is an enthusiast car just like Subaru. May not be the best but can't compare both cars in same category. Mr2 is a 90s technology car. Was never a car meant to go that fast as rx7,vr4,supra etc. Subie is up to date but yet we have ringland failures, tons body roll, etc.

I would love to have a mr2 again but now I can actually afford a nsx or supra so hopefully I find a decent priced one in the future. Hell, the money I spent in the sti, I could've had either one already.

Nothing still compare to how fun the mr2 was. E36 m3 was the closest. Sti with tons of upgrades and still not as fun .

But the boxer rumble, awd, WR blue, turning heads as people tell you how nice of a car you have, PRICELESS!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6

end_thread_derail
}
Su is awesome. He was my neighbor for years. Really cool and down to earth guy. I think he owns a Forester.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
I'd love a later gen MR2... There is no comparison vs an L.

Quick Reply: Who wants a MR2 for $17k?