Who wants to go shooting? But there's a catch!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:05 AM

Car Info: Honda with a wing =P
Originally Posted by yayitzian
siigh i've been told to wait like a whole year for an upper...i'm doing my first build shortly...as soon as I can find a nearby FFL who can accept a spike's tactical lower
a whole year? Which upper are you getting? and is your build pretty high end? Because my most people's first builds are simple, I was even rocking iron sights for mine. Have you looked into some FTF sales?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
i dunno how face2face works. i always thought you needed ffl. as for the upper, im not sure yet i just want to do it right
Old 03-23-2009, 10:02 AM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
Originally Posted by brucelee
Since I've spend all my money on expensive firearms, 17 total, I can't afford to shoot them!
You have 17 guns and no ammo whatsoever or the $$ to get the ammo? Aint that sort of like having a race car but cant afford the race gas? LOL

Did we finally go the Chris Rock route aka Bullet Control??

We need bullet control! I think every bullet should cost 5,000 dollars. Because if a bullet cost five thousand dollar, we wouldn't have any innocent bystander
Seriously, is ammo that expensive?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 AM

Car Info: 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 Cyl.
Originally Posted by KOSTI

Did we finally go the Chris Rock route aka Bullet Control??

Seriously, is ammo that expensive?
Feels like it man, I am glad I bought a .22 pistol and a .22 upper for my AR. .223 Wolf is now going for .30-.40 a round, and good brass .223 which is reloadable as long as it is not too fatigued is going for .50-.60 a round right now. I got lucky about 3 months ago I bought close to 2K rounds from different sellers while it was still .25-.30 a round. I still feel like I was raped too, but now I have enough to start reloading. But I have been using my .20 a round stash up first, Wolf is a tad bit dirty, but my gas piston upper means it mainly stays in the barrel and not in the bolt/chamber area. I was reading a ammo thing online and these guys were stating how much ammo was like 2 years ago, some of the stuff I have was going for .12 a round So yeah it just takes a bit more $ to go out and shoot then before.

Nice thing about .22 is that it is a great round to train with and try to get better at sighting with it, and it is .04 to .08 or so for non match grade rounds I shot over 600 rounds on Saturday of .22LR compared to 200 of Wolf .223 he he! Just have to wait like 4 weeks now for my Eotech to arrive, I have an Fakepoint coming to me this week too since I do not like my 3-9 scope.

Also any idea Brucee as to when you are planning to do this meet?

-Gio
Old 03-23-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by sammae01
a whole year? Which upper are you getting? and is your build pretty high end? Because my most people's first builds are simple, I was even rocking iron sights for mine. Have you looked into some FTF sales?
No not really, seems almost every manafacturer to be on backorder for the time being. A lot of internet places that distribute uppers and or lowers have put up messages from about 2 months or so ago saying they will no longer be accepting phone calls for orders. Only thing they would answer would be tech problems.

With the whole Obama Presidency and his AWB view a lot of folks have jumped into the OLL Game based on fear of not being able to have them. It is not uncommon to see Stripped Stag/Double Star Lowers going for $300 for a FTF sell. It has gotten crazy, same thing with uppers I just found a Stag 2HT in San Jose up for a FTF going for $1,000. That is a $650 upper that is going for $1,000 just because the wait is another 4-6 months or even longer to get an upper. Demand is high and supply is low for the time being. A few weeks ago loweres were not as abundant so prices sky rocketed.

Just keep an eye out on certain websites/forums and take a good look at what things are going for. Lower Parts Kits going for $100? Magpul UBR Stocks going for $400 sometimes?

Best bet is find a Stripped Lower or tow and then build it up after the mad rush is over, or when someone bought too many lpk's and or other parts and decides to sell them for a good price. If you need help looking for lowers and uppers let me know, a lot of times you have to be quick cuz things sell quickly!

-Gio
Old 03-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

im a little confused on the process of getting on here in CA. I just need to find a FFL to accept a shipment from where I want to buy, correct? then I just go through the whole DOJ 10 day waiting process and I can pick it up?

how does FTF work
Old 03-23-2009, 12:42 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

FTF still needs to go through an FFL.

but instead of a retailer, you are dealing with a private party. hence the face to face...

but the ten 24-hour period waiting time and a background check still needs to be done by the FFL...
Old 03-23-2009, 02:03 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I run 3-4 camping trips in the summer into the back country to shoot on national forest land....a couple of my cop friends go so no problem with our slightly higher capacity mags and ammo is in great abundnce(see we all do a little somthing for uncle sam) so no probs on the ammo. We have a couple m-14's a G3 a few m-4 variants a ton of 9 mils and some 45's kinda run what ya brung. Its a great time. pm me if intersted and I will let you know when it is. We hve to wait for the snow to melt before we do our first trip.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:07 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
BTW im considering going to a 6.8 piston operated upper anyone shooting that round here? Im deffinately getting the piston upper just not too sure if im going to switch to 6.8. I have heard it stays supersonic to 1000 meters but if im ever shooting at anything that far kick me.

I would hate to have my red dot showing up on the enemy map while im shooting at somthing I cant hit....." for those of you who got that joke COD4 for life....
Old 03-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

just turn on camoflauge and throw a flash hider on there.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:37 PM

Car Info: 2008 subaru AWD stroller...wahaha
so Dan...what the date??

alan'09
Old 03-23-2009, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by ldivinag
FTF still needs to go through an FFL.

but instead of a retailer, you are dealing with a private party. hence the face to face...

but the ten 24-hour period waiting time and a background check still needs to be done by the FFL...

For an upper? as for as I know, I remember just having to go through FFL for the lower, but not the upper, I may have even remember seeing people leave gun shows with uppers.

Last edited by sammae01; 03-23-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by East Bay STI

Just keep an eye out on certain websites/forums and take a good look at what things are going for. Lower Parts Kits going for $100? Magpul UBR Stocks going for $400 sometimes?

-Gio
LPK for $100?

I remember buying a few for $60 each.

Lower receivers are still $150-200 right
Old 03-23-2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by sammae01
LPK for $100?

I remember buying a few for $60 each.

Lower receivers are still $150-200 right
Yes since Lowers were caught up by Man companies Lowers have come down in price slightly. I bought my 2 lowers for $140 and that was after the hike in prices, I got lucky Yes I know my friends have built AR's using Vulcan Lowers and Del Ton uppers for a grand total of $900 to $1,000 with free float rails and also including aimpoints or eotech's. That included everything needed to build them at home and be able to take them tot he range and shoot them

Same ole story, you snooze you loze. Like I said before I was only interested in Pistols before and I was under the impression that AR's were banned in CA until my friends told me different

-Gio
Old 03-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Originally Posted by East Bay STI
Yes since Lowers were caught up by Man companies Lowers have come down in price slightly. I bought my 2 lowers for $140 and that was after the hike in prices, I got lucky Yes I know my friends have built AR's using Vulcan Lowers and Del Ton uppers for a grand total of $900 to $1,000 with free float rails and also including aimpoints or eotech's. That included everything needed to build them at home and be able to take them tot he range and shoot them

Same ole story, you snooze you loze. Like I said before I was only interested in Pistols before and I was under the impression that AR's were banned in CA until my friends told me different

-Gio
same here.
spike's tactical sells a lpk for $75 but only allows you to buy it if you buy one of their stripped lowers.

Quick Reply: Who wants to go shooting? But there's a catch!