who has the best (and simple) BBQ marinade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 03:13 AM

Car Info: 2001 Sedona Red OBS / 2016 FXT Touring
Question who has the best (and simple) BBQ marinade?

anyone want to share the recipe?

Last edited by Rad One; 04-28-2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
I'll share a recipe. This is a really good chicken marinade. Juice two limes into a food processor. peel appx. 6 cloves of garlic, toss those into processor, 1/8th tps pf ground cumin, and throw in a handful of fresh cilantro. Salt, and spice. Get a little hot spice in there. Place the lid on the processor, and fire that baby up. As you are chopping, drizzle in olive oil appx. 4-5 tbs. You are looking for a nice liquidy mix. Pour this over chicken, (place chicken in ziplock bag pour in marinade squeeze out the air and zip it up, Place it in the fridge for about and hour. It can be lleft longer but note the chicken will begin to cook from the acid in the lime juice. Toss it on a hot grill. You may want to save some of the marinade prior to mixing it with the chicken for splashing on the top after cooking. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:57 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Kinders in Pleasant Hill and Concord - "You can lick our chops, but you can't beat our meat"

Marinade in a bottle and even some marinaded stuff all wrapped up and ready to go.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Originally Posted by AntiochCali
Kinders in Pleasant Hill and Concord - "You can lick our chops, but you can't beat our meat"

Marinade in a bottle and even some marinaded stuff all wrapped up and ready to go.
oh theres a kinders in hercules now by my work! good a$$ sandwiches y0!
Old 04-28-2005, 10:59 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by ipozestu
I'll share a recipe. This is a really good chicken marinade. Juice two limes into a food processor. peel appx. 6 cloves of garlic, toss those into processor, 1/8th tps pf ground cumin, and throw in a handful of fresh cilantro. Salt, and spice. Get a little hot spice in there. Place the lid on the processor, and fire that baby up. As you are chopping, drizzle in olive oil appx. 4-5 tbs. You are looking for a nice liquidy mix. Pour this over chicken, (place chicken in ziplock bag pour in marinade squeeze out the air and zip it up, Place it in the fridge for about and hour. It can be lleft longer but note the chicken will begin to cook from the acid in the lime juice. Toss it on a hot grill. You may want to save some of the marinade prior to mixing it with the chicken for splashing on the top after cooking. Garnish with fresh cilantro.

I used to do something similar to this..... But I use a bit less oil and substitute a shot of good tequila. Or if none onhand a splash of carona.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:10 AM

Car Info: 05 dusty black wagon
depends on what kind of meat. i'd use :
cilantro, pepper, little salt, wheet beer, mineral water and a little of lemon juice(optional).
that's for 'shashlyki'.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:27 AM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
One word - YOSHIDA!
Old 04-28-2005, 11:37 AM

Car Info: 2001 Sedona Red OBS / 2016 FXT Touring
Originally Posted by -j-
One word - YOSHIDA!
what if youre feeding fitty people?? thats a whomp load of yoshida
Old 04-28-2005, 11:40 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Originally Posted by Rad One
If you are really feeding 50+ people, then just bring lots of beer and don't worry about marinate.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:53 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Rad One

haaaa. I did a BBQ and fed like 50-70 people...I'd say there were all pleased. haaaa.

Cost more but you could always go to costco and get a crapload of premarinated beef. And whip up a quick chicken marinade.

Or buy a huge bottle of good bbq sause...master's will work. the big bottle. Buy yourself a bottle of jack to drink while cookie. Dump about 4 shots into the bbq sauce. Add a few spices of choice and you have a quick decent bbq marinade that won't cost you a fortunre.

When BBQing for huge amounts of people it's best to keep it simple. Whatever marinade you do toss the beef in the night before and the chicken in it's marinade 1-2 hours before.

I think I spent $135 on beef and another $30 on chicken for my bbq. something like that...and $200 on beer.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2014 Mazda MX-5 GT PRHT
Originally Posted by Yin
oh theres a kinders in hercules now by my work! good a$$ sandwiches y0!

There's one in Hercules?! Where?!?!
Old 04-28-2005, 11:59 AM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX, 2012 OBP STi wagon
okay.. easy marinades that work well:

1) soy sauce, lemon, salt, pepper, little bit of sesame seed oil. goes well with meats, especially thin cut skirt steaks. Marinade overnite.

2) Vinegar, soy sauce, honey (can be omitted if you don't want it sweet), salt, pepper, cumin, garlic, paprika. Works with beef or pork, especially good on barbecues. Marinade at least 2 hours, or you can cheat and use some baking soda powder on the meat to marinade in 15 minutes. You can add herbs if you want, such as basil, rosemary, thyme, etc.

3) Red wine (make sure you choose a light variety, nothing strong or overly dry), brown mustard, salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil. Mix thoroughly (make sure it's very liquidy, or else you will end up with salad dressing ), marinade with any meat.

4) Pick your favorite Italian dressing, and marinade a chicken breast with it. You won't believe how good it tastes.

I got PLENTY of recipes, but most of the time, when I marinade, I pick what looks good from my cabinets and spice racks and go to town. If you know food theory, you will know how to make a good marinade.

The essentials are: something acidic to help incorporate the marinade flavor into the meat (like citrus juices, alcohol, worchestershire sauce, or vinegar), something to add flavor (whether it's heat, sweetness, or some other herb you want to emphasise, like rosemary or thyme), easy on the garlic or onions unless you WANT that to be the centerpiece of your marinade (personally, I just slit the meat and shove slivers of garlic in there so they cook with the meat and infuse it with flavor), and TIME to let the marinade sink in, unless you are just doing a topper, or unless you use baking soda powder to speed up the marinating process.

Oh, and go to web sites like www.epicurious.com and you will find TONS more.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:41 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Voodoo BBQ in New Orleans has world famous BBQ. If you ever come to the Big Easy you've got to go there. They have the best in my experience.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by -j-
One word - YOSHIDA!
Seriously - Yoshida's "Gourmet Sauce" is one of the best marinades you can get. I use it and get comments every time (it's just a bottle. Oh.). For larger amounts, get the gallon jugs from Costco.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:02 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Shaub's Meat Market in Stanford shopping center...get a Fred's steak...you'll never want another kind of marinated steak again...

Quick Reply: who has the best (and simple) BBQ marinade?