Where to try and buy a helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:00 AM

Car Info: 2002MY Impreza WRX
Where to try and buy a helmet?

Is there any place you guys would recommend for trying a helmet (for size and fitting) and buy?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:42 AM

what's the helmet for?
Old 01-11-2007, 02:51 AM

Car Info: 2002MY Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Daredevil
what's the helmet for?
Motorsports, namely autocross, HPDE/HPDS and tracking. I need a Snell SA2005 certified helmet.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
One thing I know, is the guy up at Infineon is an ***. I asked him to try a couple helmets on he said "are you here to try or here to buy?" I was like WTF. He came out with the helmets and got all huffy with me when I told I was going to order online because the price was cheaper and they had the color that I wanted. So from my perspective, your prices are higher, you have less stock, and your gonna get mad at me because I decide to buy else where. A big FU goes out to that jack *** up there.
Rant off.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
Yeah, I now what you mean, It's still a nice shop though with tons of cool stuff. The guy up at the kart shop is much nicer.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:20 AM

Car Info: 04wrx
get one at walmart for cheap
Old 01-11-2007, 08:28 AM
SK

Car Info: an EQ tuned box
Originally Posted by Impreza01
Is there any place you guys would recommend for trying a helmet (for size and fitting) and buy?
Cycle Gear

1500 Harrison St
San Francisco, CA 94103
(415) 487-2710

Harrison & 11th St It's a block away from Cosco.

They have hundreds of helmets in stock; Arai, Bell, KBC, Shoei, Shark, ect. You can stand there and try on helmets without a fuzz from the employees. They're very friendly.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:35 AM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
Got mine at Bell Helmets in Oakland. Very nice people. Cheap too. I got mine cheaper than listed price because the color of the interior was not the color they wanted, so they had that on sale.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:08 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by SK
Cycle Gear

1500 Harrison St
San Francisco, CA 94103
(415) 487-2710

Harrison & 11th St It's a block away from Cosco.

They have hundreds of helmets in stock; Arai, Bell, KBC, Shoei, Shark, ect. You can stand there and try on helmets without a fuzz from the employees. They're very friendly.
But are they going to have any SA rated buckets?

I wouldn't waste my money on a motorcycle helmet if you plan to do car stuff.

And I can't blame the guy for being PO'd when a person comes in and wastes his time only to go somewhere else to buy a helmet, part of that "extra" you pay for if you buy from him is the fact that he has paid for, and stocks a selection that his CUSTOMERS can try out, his time isn't free, god know his rent on that shop isn't free- the least you ought to do is buy something from him, if not a helmet for crying out loud get a head sock or a pair of gloves, but don't make him feel like a tool by coming in and telling him you're buying on line.

if I were him, I'd return your F-U without a moments hesitation.

However, with that said, I might point you to racerwholesale.com, that's where I bought my last two helmets, buying online isn't so bad, whip out a tape and take some measurements and if you don't like what comes in, just send it back.....you just can't do that at the last minute, but they will be very glad to do business with you.

Last edited by psoper; 01-11-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by psoper

And I can't blame the guy for being PO'd when a person comes in and wastes his time only to go somewhere else to buy a helmet, part of that "extra" you pay for if you buy from him is the fact that he has paid for, and stocks a selection that his CUSTOMERS can try out, his time isn't free, god know his rent on that shop isn't free- the least you ought to do is buy something from him, if not a helmet for crying out loud get a head sock or a pair of gloves, but don't make him feel like a tool by coming in and telling him you're buying on line.

if I were him, I'd return your F-U without a moments hesitation
A big FU to you too. WTF. His opening statement try or buy. Is that any way to treat a potential customer? Ever hear of "can I help you?". Go into a shoe store and try on a pair of shoes, if they don't fit or feel right go buy some socks because the guys had to get you a pair of shoes to try on. Your a F'n idiot.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:21 AM

Car Info: 04wrx
Originally Posted by ipozestu
A big FU to you too. WTF. His opening statement try or buy. Is that any way to treat a potential customer? Ever hear of "can I help you?". Go into a shoe store and try on a pair of shoes, if they don't fit or feel right go buy some socks because the guys had to get you a pair of shoes to try on. Your a F'n idiot.
*checks ipozestu avatar*
Old 01-11-2007, 09:28 AM

I won't stoop to name calling, but race supplies are not shoes and there aren't 10 shops in the mall for you to run around to.
A business like that is existing on a shoestring, he isn't there to make friends or to make you happy, he's there because he's trying to make a living, and he's come to learn that there are customers who plan to do business with him worth spending time to help, and there are other people that no matter what he does are going to go online for their purchace and he shouldn't waste his time on.

His opening statement of "try or buy" was his way of assesing your potential as a customer, maybe a bit crass and I'll agree -not real customer friendly, but again it isn't a social club, its a business.

You walked in and told him which catagory you fall into and he treated you accordingly.

I take it you have never worked in a specialized retail environment, or you might have a bit more understanding, but that sort of treatment is going to be more and more commonplace as on-line shops are forcing so many of the little specialty places out of business.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:30 AM
SK

Car Info: an EQ tuned box

I've seen SA rated Arai & Bell helmets on shelf, although I'm not sure about current availability on hand.

Reason why I suggest Cycle Gear is because of availability & the allowance of Snell M aside from SA rated lids for certain class.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by SK
I've seen SA rated Arai & Bell helmets on shelf, although I'm not sure about current availability on hand.

Reason why I suggest Cycle Gear is because of availability & the allowance of Snell M aside from SA rated lids for certain class.
Those allowances are getting to be less and less each year, I think the only place you can still get away with an M rating in a car is autocross.

But they will for sure be a shop that is a lot more amenable to someone trying stuff on and leaving to buy online, as they have plenty of other business to attend to.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:34 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon, 14 Forester XT, 96 Miata

Both my Shoei motorcycle helmets are SA rated and have never had issues with them at Auto-X or Trackdays.

Quick Reply: Where to try and buy a helmet?