Where to live near Cal Poly Pomona?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:14 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
Where to live near Cal Poly Pomona?

Hey everyone,

Long story short, I am transferring to Cal Poly Pomona for Winter quarter and I have been looking for a place to live in the area. The problem is that I know nothing about the cities in the area, because I grew up in the Bay Area. Which cites are safe and what cities should I avoid? I am looking to either rent an apartment or rent a room with students/professionals that are 21+. Also, I should note that I don't want to commute much more than 20 minutes.

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rob
Old 11-11-2010, 11:31 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
there are SOME places in the city of pomona where apt/townhouse complexes are just OK.. if you are living by yourself, cheapest way would be to just rent a room but it'd be hard to find a garage to park your car in if you care about that.. keep in mind though, pomona is ghetto

neighboring cities i'd suggest would be a bit west of cpp that's reasonably affordable without having to worry too much but don't expect garage parking in most apt complexes.. so look at walnut, chino hills, rowland heights, hacienda heights.. those places don't really have any ghetto neighborhoods.. some areas of west covina/covina are ok but not all

keep in mind that wherever you live, rush hour sucks going west in the morning and east at night
Old 11-11-2010, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by subaru3169
there are SOME places in the city of pomona where apt/townhouse complexes are just OK.. if you are living by yourself, cheapest way would be to just rent a room but it'd be hard to find a garage to park your car in if you care about that.. keep in mind though, pomona is ghetto

neighboring cities i'd suggest would be a bit west of cpp that's reasonably affordable without having to worry too much but don't expect garage parking in most apt complexes.. so look at walnut, chino hills, rowland heights, hacienda heights.. those places don't really have any ghetto neighborhoods.. some areas of west covina/covina are ok but not all

keep in mind that wherever you live, rush hour sucks going west in the morning and east at night
I drove through Pomona and I was not a fan. Garage parking is no big deal for me, but having a spot to park it is always a plus. I want to live more west than east anyways, because I will be making frequent trips to Long Beach.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Did you check when the apartment faire is? I think every quarter, they hold an apartment faire where a ton of apartment companies come out and try to get you to live at their apartment, it's also a great place to meet potential roommates. You can also go to the Cal Poly housing office, and they have a bulletin board of people looking for roommates and another bulletin board where you can put your information so if someone has an extra room they can call you. I'm assuming you don't want to live at the campus village nor the suites, so here's the info I can give you in terms of my experiences and what my friends tell me.

I graduated the end of '09, and the best apartment I lived in was in Chino Hills. It's a bit further (about a 15-20 min drive) but my neighbors were cool, nothing bad ever happened,once the property manager was changed, everything was chill, and it had a hot tub. I believe it was called Aventine Apartments.

If you have the $$$, I would look into the condos across the street from Diamond Bar golf course. I had some friends that lived there and loved it. Since they're condos it's up to the owner how much they want to rent it for, so it's really hit or miss on price.

Stay away from The Verandas in West Covina, multiple cars were broken into while I stayed there, including mine. The apartments were very nice, and included an in unit washer/dryer, but it's not worth getting your car broken into.

Also, stay away from the apartments right across the street from Mt. SAC (I forget the name, but it's kind of behind a preschool). It's expensive for what you get, the apartments are poorly taken care of, and parking is absolutely atrocious. Walnut has this parking ordinance where you can't park your car on the street from 2AM - 4 (or was it 6) AM. Since it's so close to Mt. SAC, you can't really park around the apartments.

Pine Club Apartments is extremely close, and they seem like nice apartments, but they were always full when my friends and I were looking for a place. One of my other friends also told me he saw a guy get shot there.

The Crest is expensive, but pretty close to campus. Parking is okay, but it's not the easiest finding parking at night unless you rent a garage spot. I had a friend who liked living there until they started repainting everything, which is when they got a huge bug infestation.

If you're going to be going to Long Beach a lot, then you might want to consider moving a bit more south instead of west.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:48 PM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
whoo hoo another cal poly student! i currently live in chino hills which is about 10 miles away from campus. its a very nice area. i wouldnt really want to live in pomona...its a pretty ghetto looking place
Old 11-12-2010, 02:06 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
there are two so cal guys that went there.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Anyone know of any places to rent? Or know anyone that is renting?
Old 11-15-2010, 07:41 PM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
apply to another school...
Old 11-15-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by mot
I am already going to another school. haha
Old 11-15-2010, 08:22 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
Lived down the 57 in Fullerton when I went there, worked way better than right off the 10 where I was prior...Took 30 mins to go 5 miles off the 10, took 15 to go 15 from Fullerton. Only plus to living off the 10 was to look for the house on tv whenever there was a high-speed chase
Old 11-15-2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by mot
no kidding.. i'm kinda ashamed i graduated from there.. worst administration i've ever encountered.. they forget that students are paying for a service but ignore the issues when the service isn't delivered

oh and the chiks get uglier each yr.. damn there was some good tang when i first started college
Old 11-15-2010, 10:28 PM

no kidding.. i'm kinda ashamed i graduated from there.. worst administration i've ever encountered.. they forget that students are paying for a service but ignore the issues when the service isn't delivered

oh and the chiks get uglier each yr.. damn there was some good tang when i first started college
Well I really do appreciate all of the negativity.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:34 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX

Thanks, I just graduated from there last year.... haha

I thought the administration was bad at Cal Poly, but then I'm going to CSUF for grad school. Ughh, it makes Cal Poly's look great.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo Rob
Well I really do appreciate all of the negativity.
man, if you saw the open forum in the quad back in 06, it'd blow your brains how admins were responding.. one chik was a masters student in history and the school was phasing out that program and said that many wouldn't be able to graduate.. they just skipped her question and passed the mic onto someone else

overall, regular schmos like myself had to graduate later from all the classes they cut and screwed up priority for everyone

i was there before AND after they remodeled some things.. new parking structure, student union, gym.. not only did they use students' "fees" to build the gym, they even charge students to use it.. every uni i've stepped foot on has a free gym, just flash the corresponding school id and you're good to go

tuition fees rose from 580 from when i first started to 1200 when i finished

i could go on and on..
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
Thanks, I just graduated from there last year.... haha

I thought the administration was bad at Cal Poly, but then I'm going to CSUF for grad school. Ughh, it makes Cal Poly's look great.
fullerton is pretty good, i know they have great soc/sw programs.. what are you in for??
Old 11-15-2010, 11:24 PM

man, if you saw the open forum in the quad back in 06, it'd blow your brains how admins were responding.. one chik was a masters student in history and the school was phasing out that program and said that many wouldn't be able to graduate.. they just skipped her question and passed the mic onto someone else

overall, regular schmos like myself had to graduate later from all the classes they cut and screwed up priority for everyone

i was there before AND after they remodeled some things.. new parking structure, student union, gym.. not only did they use students' "fees" to build the gym, they even charge students to use it.. every uni i've stepped foot on has a free gym, just flash the corresponding school id and you're good to go

tuition fees rose from 580 from when i first started to 1200 when i finished

i could go on and on..

fullerton is pretty good, i know they have great soc/sw programs.. what are you in for??
So do you know where I should live? That IS what the thread is about. You should start a thread about how bitter you are about CPP. For me, tuition will be $8000 less than what I am currently paying, I will be in a better business program AND I will have instructors that are not 100% dedicated to research. Sometimes that grass is greener on the other side man.

Thaaannnkkkksss!

Quick Reply: Where to live near Cal Poly Pomona?