where to go barf? (tourist guide)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:55 PM

Car Info: 2012 G37S / Sold 06 WRX
Another recommendation if your looking for ramen is "Santa Ramen" in San Mateo.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:27 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Make sure you check out Market St. Great place to pick up some crack and a hooker.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by samurai
touristy stuff you can see is definitely Pier39, ghiradelli square in SF or maybe Jack London Square in Oakland. If you have time, you can go to Santa Cruz. Visit the KOIT tower, etc.

Japanese food places I'm used to are in SJ Japantown and SF J-town. Used to get the kendo hookups there. There is an awesome K-B place on El Camino Real in Sunnyvale close to Mt View (all you can eat). My friends and I almost got thrown out of there once for eating almost all of their shortribs. Clubs are all in SF tho there some in Downtown SJ now. Seafood is all in SF and maybe sausalito. The good dimsum places are in SF. Its been soo long since i had anything to eat there...
That Korean BBQ place is bomb. So good, and not overly expensive for the quality of meat.

Originally Posted by vik682
Another recommendation if your looking for ramen is "Santa Ramen" in San Mateo.
It's already been covered and it's been concluded it's not that great.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:40 AM

Car Info: Wish it was still my WRB STI
Originally Posted by sigma pi
cable car ride
fishermans wharf
pier 39
japanese tea garden
golden gate park
nothbeach

can i do all this in a sat?
Yes, you can do all of that on Sat but here's my advice from all of the postings I've read (I noticed a few places were missing)

Pier 39 - skip it, it's just a bunch of tourist trap shops/restaurants with nothing unique except for the seals who sunbathe there

Fisherman's wharf - Eat at Boudin Bakery (Sourdough Bowl with clam chowder). It's in the middle of the parking lot and you can't miss it. You can get a seat inside or outside and I'd recommend having a friend go and find a seat while you order. $6.95 each and I don't know if they are able to be refrigerated for you to bring back since the chowder would soak up the bread and the texture totally wouldn't be the same after a few hours.

Golden Gate Bridge - for the best view, drive across the bridge and once you get off the first exit, go down the hill and take a left as if you are going back over across. You will go under the highway and then keep veering right and you will go UP the hill. Once you get to the top, you'll see cars parked on the side of the road. Park there and take a hike towards the bridge. The view if on a clear day is very nice and much better than the SF side or the Viewpoint side of Sausilito. While you are on that side of SF, you might as well go to Sausilito for a short stroll/drive. But if you are strapped for time (it's like a 5 minute difference) just go and park at the last exit before the bridge and take a picture from there.

Palace of Fine Arts - Incredible view for what it is. Parts of the movie "The Rock" was filmed here and many people take wedding pics here.

Twin Peaks - For the highest view in all of SF, go here. Also priceless view on a clear day. It's free and on your way here, you can drive through Castro and get a glimpse of the alternative lifestyle.

Coit Tower - Forget it if you are going to Twin Peaks.

Treasure Island - For a picturesque calendar view, go here. Just go across the Bay Bridge and stay on the left hand lane and take the exit and keep driving down the hill. Day or night, I think this is the best spot for a picture. Also, you don't have to pay toll on the way back b/c you haven't passed the Toll booths on the East Bay yet so your trip back into the city is free.

Alcatraz - Book early b/c tickets sell out fast. You can buy online or in person. Don't expect to get a ticket the day of.

Chinatown - the food is horrible but it is chinatown and you can get cheap souvenirs there.

Union Square - Just shops, nothing unique to SF except maybe the H&M stores (BTW, there are two or three stores for girls so not sure if your girl would be upset if she didn't get to go to all of them)

Japantown - If you haven't been to Japan, this is the closest you'll get but if you have been to Japan, it's not worth your time. Everything in Kinokuniya is about double what the cover price is and is also last month's issue pretty much.

Restaurants:
PPQ Dungeness Island - The food is pretty good and about half or a third of what you would pay at Crustacean or Thanh Long and just as good in my opinion. I think the deal was $50 for a two person meal that includes salad, appetizers, garlic noodles, a dungeness crab and fried bananas as dessert. I personally like the crab with peppercorn but you can get it roasted in their own sauce if you'd like too (roasted is by default).

Asia de Cuba - MAKE RESERVATIONS if you want to go here. It's an Asian/Cuban fusion restaurant and it's not cheap either. Expect for two, maybe $150 with a couple of drinks. It's on Geary in the Clift Hotel a few blocks from Union Square. On a Fri/Sat night, you can stay there and get into the Redwood Room which is one of the more elite lounges in SF. I'd suggest 8pm or 9pm for dinner, stay after dinner, have a few drinks and see how yuppy you can be.

Cliff House - Pass on it, although they remodelled, I didn't find the food worthwhile the few times I've been.

Beach Chalet - Just down the hill from Cliff House and in my opinion much better. They even have live jazz there on some nights. American style fare, reasonably priced and if you go right as the sun sets, it's a great date place. Bring a jacket if you want a stroll on the beach.

Koi Palace - good but not great and not worth the insane wait. I recommend Zen Peninsula in Millbrae. Better service, in my opinion better food and the hostesses (one in particular) is very good looking.

Cheung Hing BBQ on Noriega - It's a chain restaurant but their chinese duck is the best and cheapest I've had as well as many other people who have tried it. You'll notice the line outside. It's right across from the safeway. Their other locations (Millbrae, Irving, etc) aren't as good as this hole in the wall.

Oh, and one more, House of Prime Rib. It's pretty good and I believe it's unique to SF but you can get Prime Rib pretty much anywhere nowadays.

Bars/clubs/Drinks:
Medjool - In the mission district but it's a cool place to kick it. It's only $5 cover if you go late but go at 10pm and you can get in for free. There's a top floor terrace with a bar and plenty of tables to drink at and on the second floor there's another bar with more seating area overlooking the first floor dance/dining room.

Slide - If you are looking fly and have a fly girl with you (it helps to have several fly girls with you), stop by here. It's next to Ruby Skye in downtown (which you should avoid Ruby Skye at all costs since it is a total tourist trap), and they are VERY selective about who they let in. Unless you roll with girls that make the guy:girl ratio less than one (meaning more girls than guys), expect to buy table service to get in. Getting there early like at 10pm helps but is no guarantee. Either way you must have girl(s) with you. IF you are able to get in, at least take the slide down, that's why the place is called what it is. Watch out for your landing though. It's funny watching people fall on their ***.

Holy Cow - if you like a diverse crowd, good music, a place to dance and no cover, this is your place but it isn't very classy. It's in Soma off of Folsom and I believe 12th. Look for the cow with a cheetah pattern above the front door. While you are there, check out Butter. It's right around the corner and the theme of this place is "White Trash" and obvious. The people are cool and very laid back. You can get Jello Shots and Tater Tots and even a Banquet TV dinner if you'd like there. PBR comes in a can for I believe $2 from a vending machine.

Circa - The ultimate Cougar den. http://www.urbancougar.com/dens_ca.php Used to be called Cosmo's. Free cover. Just go to look or to be preyed on. It can be packed and no dance floor but there is a small upstairs where you can go to get some elbow room though. If you don't like this place, plenty of other bars to go to in the Marina all within walking distance.

North Beach - I've never really liked North Beach b/c the atmosphere is kinda ghetto, tons of drunk people and bums are out there and fights always happen there whether in the street or in the bars/clubs. However there are tons of bars/clubs there though but it's a known fact that most of the places on Broadway are tourist traps so if you want to meet other tourists, this is probably the place to do it. But on the other hand it is a good place for late night dining after the bars close since you are so close to Chinatown.

Voda - It's a small bar in Beldin Place (it's an alley that has a handful of restaurants with a cool feel to it). They specialize in Vodka and have a DJ but not really a dance floor. Very posh but not expensive though and the atmosphere is relaxed and you will not be waiting in line for anything or rubbing up against anyone.

Man, it's late and I'm tired and I know I'm missing a few things but this is already a super long post and from this list, I'm sure that you'll have a good time here. Lastly, as a caveat, these are recommendations based upon my preferences and what not. Others may or may not agree with me but to each his own.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:08 AM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
now if you are really cool mike, you will go drifting down lombard street. Take pictures to prove that you did it.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:30 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by xqwizit
Yes, you can do all of that on Sat but here's my advice from all of the postings I've read (I noticed a few places were missing)

Pier 39 - skip it, it's just a bunch of tourist trap shops/restaurants with nothing unique except for the seals who sunbathe there

Fisherman's wharf - Eat at Boudin Bakery (Sourdough Bowl with clam chowder). It's in the middle of the parking lot and you can't miss it. You can get a seat inside or outside and I'd recommend having a friend go and find a seat while you order. $6.95 each and I don't know if they are able to be refrigerated for you to bring back since the chowder would soak up the bread and the texture totally wouldn't be the same after a few hours.

Golden Gate Bridge - for the best view, drive across the bridge and once you get off the first exit, go down the hill and take a left as if you are going back over across. You will go under the highway and then keep veering right and you will go UP the hill. Once you get to the top, you'll see cars parked on the side of the road. Park there and take a hike towards the bridge. The view if on a clear day is very nice and much better than the SF side or the Viewpoint side of Sausilito. While you are on that side of SF, you might as well go to Sausilito for a short stroll/drive. But if you are strapped for time (it's like a 5 minute difference) just go and park at the last exit before the bridge and take a picture from there.

Palace of Fine Arts - Incredible view for what it is. Parts of the movie "The Rock" was filmed here and many people take wedding pics here.

Twin Peaks - For the highest view in all of SF, go here. Also priceless view on a clear day. It's free and on your way here, you can drive through Castro and get a glimpse of the alternative lifestyle.

Coit Tower - Forget it if you are going to Twin Peaks.

Treasure Island - For a picturesque calendar view, go here. Just go across the Bay Bridge and stay on the left hand lane and take the exit and keep driving down the hill. Day or night, I think this is the best spot for a picture. Also, you don't have to pay toll on the way back b/c you haven't passed the Toll booths on the East Bay yet so your trip back into the city is free.

Alcatraz - Book early b/c tickets sell out fast. You can buy online or in person. Don't expect to get a ticket the day of.

Chinatown - the food is horrible but it is chinatown and you can get cheap souvenirs there.

Union Square - Just shops, nothing unique to SF except maybe the H&M stores (BTW, there are two or three stores for girls so not sure if your girl would be upset if she didn't get to go to all of them)

Japantown - If you haven't been to Japan, this is the closest you'll get but if you have been to Japan, it's not worth your time. Everything in Kinokuniya is about double what the cover price is and is also last month's issue pretty much.

Restaurants:
PPQ Dungeness Island - The food is pretty good and about half or a third of what you would pay at Crustacean or Thanh Long and just as good in my opinion. I think the deal was $50 for a two person meal that includes salad, appetizers, garlic noodles, a dungeness crab and fried bananas as dessert. I personally like the crab with peppercorn but you can get it roasted in their own sauce if you'd like too (roasted is by default).

Asia de Cuba - MAKE RESERVATIONS if you want to go here. It's an Asian/Cuban fusion restaurant and it's not cheap either. Expect for two, maybe $150 with a couple of drinks. It's on Geary in the Clift Hotel a few blocks from Union Square. On a Fri/Sat night, you can stay there and get into the Redwood Room which is one of the more elite lounges in SF. I'd suggest 8pm or 9pm for dinner, stay after dinner, have a few drinks and see how yuppy you can be.

Cliff House - Pass on it, although they remodelled, I didn't find the food worthwhile the few times I've been.

Beach Chalet - Just down the hill from Cliff House and in my opinion much better. They even have live jazz there on some nights. American style fare, reasonably priced and if you go right as the sun sets, it's a great date place. Bring a jacket if you want a stroll on the beach.

Koi Palace - good but not great and not worth the insane wait. I recommend Zen Peninsula in Millbrae. Better service, in my opinion better food and the hostesses (one in particular) is very good looking.

Cheung Hing BBQ on Noriega - It's a chain restaurant but their chinese duck is the best and cheapest I've had as well as many other people who have tried it. You'll notice the line outside. It's right across from the safeway. Their other locations (Millbrae, Irving, etc) aren't as good as this hole in the wall.

Oh, and one more, House of Prime Rib. It's pretty good and I believe it's unique to SF but you can get Prime Rib pretty much anywhere nowadays.

Bars/clubs/Drinks:
Medjool - In the mission district but it's a cool place to kick it. It's only $5 cover if you go late but go at 10pm and you can get in for free. There's a top floor terrace with a bar and plenty of tables to drink at and on the second floor there's another bar with more seating area overlooking the first floor dance/dining room.

Slide - If you are looking fly and have a fly girl with you (it helps to have several fly girls with you), stop by here. It's next to Ruby Skye in downtown (which you should avoid Ruby Skye at all costs since it is a total tourist trap), and they are VERY selective about who they let in. Unless you roll with girls that make the guy:girl ratio less than one (meaning more girls than guys), expect to buy table service to get in. Getting there early like at 10pm helps but is no guarantee. Either way you must have girl(s) with you. IF you are able to get in, at least take the slide down, that's why the place is called what it is. Watch out for your landing though. It's funny watching people fall on their ***.

Holy Cow - if you like a diverse crowd, good music, a place to dance and no cover, this is your place but it isn't very classy. It's in Soma off of Folsom and I believe 12th. Look for the cow with a cheetah pattern above the front door. While you are there, check out Butter. It's right around the corner and the theme of this place is "White Trash" and obvious. The people are cool and very laid back. You can get Jello Shots and Tater Tots and even a Banquet TV dinner if you'd like there. PBR comes in a can for I believe $2 from a vending machine.

Circa - The ultimate Cougar den. http://www.urbancougar.com/dens_ca.php Used to be called Cosmo's. Free cover. Just go to look or to be preyed on. It can be packed and no dance floor but there is a small upstairs where you can go to get some elbow room though. If you don't like this place, plenty of other bars to go to in the Marina all within walking distance.

North Beach - I've never really liked North Beach b/c the atmosphere is kinda ghetto, tons of drunk people and bums are out there and fights always happen there whether in the street or in the bars/clubs. However there are tons of bars/clubs there though but it's a known fact that most of the places on Broadway are tourist traps so if you want to meet other tourists, this is probably the place to do it. But on the other hand it is a good place for late night dining after the bars close since you are so close to Chinatown.

Voda - It's a small bar in Beldin Place (it's an alley that has a handful of restaurants with a cool feel to it). They specialize in Vodka and have a DJ but not really a dance floor. Very posh but not expensive though and the atmosphere is relaxed and you will not be waiting in line for anything or rubbing up against anyone.

Man, it's late and I'm tired and I know I'm missing a few things but this is already a super long post and from this list, I'm sure that you'll have a good time here. Lastly, as a caveat, these are recommendations based upon my preferences and what not. Others may or may not agree with me but to each his own.

holy crap can i hire you as my tour guide?

ps are you a lawyer?

Originally Posted by samurai
now if you are really cool mike, you will go drifting down lombard street. Take pictures to prove that you did it.
already planned on that

Last edited by sigma pi; 08-22-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:34 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX, 85 AE86, 84 FJ60
cable car ride
fishermans wharf
pier 39
japanese tea garden
golden gate park
nothbeach

can i do all this in a sat?
yes, + Lombard St. + cougar den, no problem
Old 08-22-2007, 09:45 AM
9 to 5 mod

we have a cougar place here

a few guys have gotten "sponsored" there
Old 08-22-2007, 09:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 wrx wagon
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
I'm starting to think +1!

Although, the hands-down best tasting ramen outside of Japan is IMHO Sapporo-Ya in J-town, S.F. The noodles are hand pulled everyday, the broth is super rich, and the chashu is home made. But it's a rip-off there now.
is that on the second floor of the j-town mall on the opposite corner of kinokuniya? if it is, i know where the extra flavors come from... last time i was there there as a cockroach looking thing hanging out by the flower pots. ewwww...
Old 08-22-2007, 11:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by shim022
is that on the second floor of the j-town mall on the opposite corner of kinokuniya? if it is, i know where the extra flavors come from... last time i was there there as a cockroach looking thing hanging out by the flower pots. ewwww...
Yeah, that's the one. And now I'm never going back there ever again.

If only we had a branch of Yotekko-ya here *sigh*

So, Ramen Club on Saturday? Lemme know!
Old 08-22-2007, 01:17 PM
9 to 5 mod

what hotel to stay in? (last one i swear)

Le Meridien San Francisco

fairmont

or palace

i know you dont have to stay there because you live there but which one would you want to stay at / heard about?

Last edited by sigma pi; 08-22-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:18 PM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Hey, are you talking about Palace Korean BBQ? I've yet to eat there, but you're not the first guy I've heard of nearly getting thrown out for eating all the meat!
I think thats the place. It is next door to a korean supermarket and the one with the copper vacuum hoods above the grills. You keep eating the meat there... You get the evil eye from the korean waitresses sometimes if you keep eating and eating, but its addictive and oh so good. I have yet to see a Socal Korean BBQ place match this one.

EDIT - yup. this is the place on ElCamino Real off of Lawrernce Expwy.

Last edited by samurai; 08-22-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:20 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
W

fairmont

or palace

i know you dont have to stay there because you live there but which one would you want to stay at / heard about?
I have stayed at both the W and the Fairmont.

The Fairmont is nicer.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:24 PM
9 to 5 mod

WOW thanks

fairmot vs the palace it is
Old 08-22-2007, 01:37 PM
9 to 5 mod

Le Meridien San Francisco any good?

Quick Reply: where to go barf? (tourist guide)