Where can I find OEM 04 STi struts that don't cost an arm and a leg??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 01:33 PM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
I've had D-specs on Swifts (different application, 02 wrx) and the ride was pretty nice and still nice for an occasional track day. Great DD budget strut.

That said, my co-worker has the Koni's on Swifts, and I have to say that the Koni's are even nicer than the D-specs. If I were ever to go back to a spring strut set-up, Koni's would be worth the effort. Sporty, absorbs the bay area roads really well. Rides like a sporty Euro car. You just have to feel it to believe it.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:57 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
I HIGHLY recommend the RCE Blacks if you like the drop of the pinks. Its a similar drop, but more even front/back and I find they ride nicer than the pinks.
Thanks Ed!

Originally Posted by Lowend
Here ya go dude
http://turninconcepts.com/index.php?...259_42_132_794
Use the "Legendary Legend of Totally Awesome (fully assembled Dspecs)" kit and you'll get all you want.
Damn, I don't know how on earth I missed that! Not sure I need the Group-N mounts but thats one hell of a setup and it comes with the black springs. This is why I love i-club, thanks for the help!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:33 PM

Car Info: '12 TSX 6MT/'01 E39 wagon/'67 VW on E85/'93 M900
You could get Ohlins fixed perch struts, they are inverted like your stockers. I'm running those with JDM Pink springs and it is nice. JDM STi Pinks aren't that much stiffer than OEM STi springs (I ran those too), they are close to an inch lower though.

If the FEAL option isn't expensive, I'd be tempted to go that route. But, having used Konis and Ohlins, I'd rather not go back to non-adjustable dampers.

Stan
Old 01-26-2011, 04:18 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
just be aware that your camber will probably go to poop when done, in the rear at least... not sure what you are looking for # wise there.
The OP has a 04 sti so he should be ok.

I'm a wagon guy too, so I know the world feels like EVERYTHING is camber challenged.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:20 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by stan_t
You could get Ohlins fixed perch struts, they are inverted like your stockers. I'm running those with JDM Pink springs and it is nice. JDM STi Pinks aren't that much stiffer than OEM STi springs (I ran those too), they are close to an inch lower though.

If the FEAL option isn't expensive, I'd be tempted to go that route. But, having used Konis and Ohlins, I'd rather not go back to non-adjustable dampers.

Stan
I have Ohlins FPS too... but you have to buy these used because they are no longer available new. We are the lucky few to have gotten these.

And I totally know what you mean by non-adjustable. Once you go adjustable, you can't go back.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:29 PM

Car Info: WRX
Sometime you get lucky....like I got an entire set for $100 shipped and nearly new, but then I blew the threads on one and had to buy a new one from Subaru...which was about $250 with my discount.

Karma I guess. lol
Old 01-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
The Feal revalve comes to like $500 total and you get a damping rate that is matched to your spring rate. In my opinion you don't need/want adjustable damping on a DD car if they are already matched.

I just got mine back from Feal, v7 sti struts that will go on my 02 wagon with 07 sti take-off spings and GrpN tophats. I'll post a review in a few months.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:54 PM

This guy has 2 brand new rears for sale: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...uts-new-87942/

For $200 it is a sweet deal and I've thought of picking them up, but what am I gonna do with only 2 struts? As is, I've been unloading all of the extra suspension shiz that's accumulated in my garage.

I would stay with an inverted strut though. Not sure going to D-specs would be an upgrade over fresh STi stockers.

Stan

Last edited by stan_t; 01-26-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
buy one of the many sets of cheap low mileage 05+ STi take-offs, pull the cartridges out (nut on the bottom of the housing) and re-assemble them in your 04 housings.

Ta-da!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:36 PM

^^ +1, I never understood why people don't do this, I always assumed something doesn't fit. They are a great strut.

Stan
Old 01-26-2011, 08:41 PM

Another great option! This thread has really opened my eyes to many options. I've done a ****load of searching and all anyone ever talked about were konis, ohlins or coilovers. Honestly until now I hadn't even heard of taking apart 05+ and inserting into the 04 body So now I need to decide if I want to do the FEAL re-valve, swap new inserts or upgrade with the TIC Tokico setup that lowend posted..thats looking like the most tempting route.

On a side note - will Group-N strut tops bring out a bunch more rattles/vibrations? Or is the driving feel worth it? Here is the tokico setup:

Tokico Dspecs
Swift Spec R/RCE Yellow/RCE Black springs
Group N Front Tophats
Group N Rear Tophats
Scooby921 Strut Spacers
Front Upper Spring Perches and Cushions
Front Upper Conical Washers
Front Dust Boots and Bump Stops
Rear Dust Boots and Bump Stops
Rear Lower Spring Cushion
Tokico Rear Adjustment Extenders
Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 PM

Also - does Tokico make a quality strut? My stock struts have lasted a long time and I don't want to downgrade. I know lots of people say the stock ones suck but they've done good for me putting up with crappy roads.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 PM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by subie OCD
Also - does Tokico make a quality strut? My stock struts have lasted a long time and I don't want to downgrade. I know lots of people say the stock ones suck but they've done good for me putting up with crappy roads.
Tokico is definitely a very big name brand. I'm sure their stuff is great quality. I've seen it on drift cars and Toyota puts them on their TRD trucks.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:20 PM

Car Info: 2015 Ford F-150 XLT FX4 Sports Package,SOLD-05 STi
Correct me if I'm wrong, but dont STi's come from factory with group N mounts?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
I have 04 STi struts, I'd only charge you a leg.

Maybe a toe off of the other foot to ship them though.

Quick Reply: Where can I find OEM 04 STi struts that don't cost an arm and a leg??