when is a car a total loss?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 07:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 wrx
Unhappy when is a car a total loss?

I was driving home on fri night, i have to make a left turn off a two lane highway to get to my street and there is no turn lane. So i was stopped waiting to turn, watching my rear view mirror so nobody would hit me!

The car right behind me stopped instead of going around for some reason, i made my turn just in time to hear the car right behind me get rear ended (people are usually going 65 or so). I looked back and saw a two car accident on the highway.

I went to turn around and go back to make sure nobody was hurt (emt, and my gf is a nurse and she was with me). I looked to the side just in time to see the truck that had rear ended the car behind me heading at me with no lights on. Hit me at about 40 mph and spun me into a ditch. The truck also crashed into the ditch right next to me.

After checking to make sure my gf was ok(she was) i collected myself and got out of the car. The truck was sitting right next to my car with both doors open, and nobody to be seen. Then, i look back to the highway and see the other car that was involved speeding off!!!!!

What kind of world is this where you get hit for trying to help sombody and everyone runs away?

Anyway, i was wondering if the insurance is going to total out my car. Its sitting in my driveway right now, and im considering parting it out before i take it to a shop.

Also can anyone recommend any shops? Im in Santa Rosa

Last edited by Damaged Goods; 10-10-2004 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:43 PM
VIP Member

pic
Attached Thumbnails when is a car a total loss?-dsc00658.jpg   when is a car a total loss?-dsc00655.jpg  
Old 10-10-2004, 07:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods
I was driving home on fri night, i have to make a left turn off a two lane highway to get to my street and there is no turn lane. So i was stopped waiting to turn, watching my rear view mirror so nobody would hit me!

The car right behind me stopped instead of going around for some reason, i made my turn just in time to hear the car right behind me get rear ended (people are usually going 65 or so). I looked back and saw a two car accident on the highway.

I went to turn around and go back to make sure nobody was hurt (emt, and my gf is a nurse and she was with me). I looked to the side just in time to see a truck heading at me with no lights on. Hit me at about 40 mph and spun me into a ditch. The truck also crashed into the ditch right next to me.

After checking to make sure my gf was ok(she was) i collected myself and got out of the car. The truck was sitting right next to my car with both doors open, and nobody to be seen. Then, i look back to the highway and see the other car that was involved speeding off!!!!!

What kind of world is this where you get hit for trying to help sombody and everyone runs away?

Anyway, i was wondering if the insurance is going to total out my car. Its sitting in my driveway right now, and im considering parting it out before i take it to a shop.

Also can anyone recommend any shops? Im in Santa Rosa
You car is a total loss if it will cost your insurance co. more to fix your car than your car is worth. So if you have 20k n damage, and your car is only worth 17k, it is a total loss. They will also deem your car a total loss if certain parts of the structure are damaged (i.e. crushed a-pillar or excesivly bent fram) as these can not be fixed for safety reaons.

-Chris
Old 10-10-2004, 07:45 PM
VIP Member

more pics
Attached Thumbnails when is a car a total loss?-dsc00656.jpg   when is a car a total loss?-dsc00657.jpg  
Old 10-10-2004, 07:48 PM
VIP Member

Ouch. Is your firewall bent or where the a-pillar attches to the rest of the body? If so I fear it may be a total loss. Hard to tell. Good luck to you man.

-Chris
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
You car is a total loss if it will cost your insurance co. more to fix your car than your car is worth. So if you have 20k n damage, and your car is only worth 17k, it is a total loss. They will also deem your car a total loss if certain parts of the structure are damaged (i.e. crushed a-pillar or excesivly bent fram) as these can not be fixed for safety reaons.

-Chris
i had heard it was 50% of the cars value, but i wasn't sure. anyway, i cant tell how bad it is myself, thats why i threw some pics up. It seems like the whole engine bay got shoved back into the body of the car, shattering the windshield. i havent looked underneath yet, and im not sure i would know what to look for
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
sucks to hear that happened.

to answer the question in the thread title.

it varies from insurance company to insurance company. each one has a set percentage of the vehicles value to which they determine its worth it to total. so it depends how much damage was caused to your vehicle
Old 10-10-2004, 07:50 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Damaged Goods
i had heard it was 50% of the cars value, but i wasn't sure. anyway, i cant tell how bad it is myself, thats why i threw some pics up. It seems like the whole engine bay got shoved back into the body of the car, shattering the windshield. i havent looked underneath yet, and im not sure i would know what to look for
It does depend on the insurance company as the the percentage. I hope they catch the morons that ran. You spoke to the police about this I'm sure?

-Chris
Old 10-10-2004, 07:56 PM
VIP Member

It does depend on the insurance company as the the percentage. I hope they catch the morons that ran. You spoke to the police about this I'm sure?

-Chris
yes, there was one highway patrol officer on scene that took my report and got the truck that hit me towed away, two other patrol cars and one sheriff also came and were searching the neighborhood and surrounding area
Old 10-10-2004, 08:14 PM

Car Info: 2002 4EAT MBP wrx wagon
Did you airbags deploy at all? if so, it's usually going to add up to a total loss from what I've seen. what insurance company do you have? Glad to hear neither you or your girlfriend were hurt. You should part anything out before you give up the car to make up for the loss and such. Shame to give anything to the insurance companies that you don't have to.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:23 PM
VIP Member

no air bags, and i have usaa for insurance. watch bay area classifieds for stuff soon.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:24 PM

Car Info: civic

-Chris

This is what i'm told by an EX-insurance adjuster. As far as cost to fix the car, they will fix the car up to 80% of what the car is worth. So if your car is worth 20k, they'll fix up to 18k. This is what i am TOLD. Also the safety issues covered by Chris in the quote holds true as well.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
i would think by just those pictures that the car is repairable so long as your suspension isnt badly affected... (which i cannt see)

and it really depends on the insurance company as far as how much is to much befor they consider it a total, cause they also factor in what they cannt see and maybe future safty and costs.

and as for the chicken **** drivers that took off

edgar,
Old 10-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by AzN121184
This is what i'm told by an EX-insurance adjuster. As far as cost to fix the car, they will fix the car up to 80% of what the car is worth. So if your car is worth 20k, they'll fix up to 18k. This is what i am TOLD. Also the safety issues covered by Chris in the quote holds true as well.
80% of 20K = 16K

Holy crap dude!

yeah that thing should be totaled, especially if the windshield is cracked did you get a police report?

Man that sucks,
Old 10-10-2004, 10:40 PM
VIP Member

re-reading my original post i dont think i made it totally clear that the truck that hit me was also the truck that rear ended the other car and he was trying to make a run for it when he hit me

Quick Reply: when is a car a total loss?