wheel bearings...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:31 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX Wagon
btw - the job is done. the other knuckles are currently on my RS and they're smooth as butter! as per AHQ's suggestion, i removed the old inner seals, re-greased everything, then put new inner seals on.

admittedly, i did have some minor hickups putting the inner seals into place (destroyed 2 in the process), but i did find a way to get the seals in place correctly and tightly.

in the end of the day, having NEW knuckles, hubs, seals and bearings WOULD be the ideal solution, but it was pretty much impossible in my situation.

AHQ has done a FANTASTIC job of helping me get my RS back up and running. i cannot complain at all... and bryan did call around to see if it was possible to get all new parts. as stated previously, another RS owner was going thru a swap, and his stock parts were just sitting there... bryan called the guy and we got the sale done and over in less than 5 minutes.

everyone at AHQ put forth an honest effort that i really do appreciate - THAT is the sign of a great shop, not the price they ask.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:01 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Originally Posted by not12listen
btw - the job is done. the other knuckles are currently on my RS and they're smooth as butter! as per AHQ's suggestion, i removed the old inner seals, re-greased everything, then put new inner seals on.

admittedly, i did have some minor hickups putting the inner seals into place (destroyed 2 in the process), but i did find a way to get the seals in place correctly and tightly.

in the end of the day, having NEW knuckles, hubs, seals and bearings WOULD be the ideal solution, but it was pretty much impossible in my situation.

AHQ has done a FANTASTIC job of helping me get my RS back up and running. i cannot complain at all... and bryan did call around to see if it was possible to get all new parts. as stated previously, another RS owner was going thru a swap, and his stock parts were just sitting there... bryan called the guy and we got the sale done and over in less than 5 minutes.

everyone at AHQ put forth an honest effort that i really do appreciate - THAT is the sign of a great shop, not the price they ask.
Thanks for all the great props! Please give us a call if you need anything in the future..

-bryan
Old 05-02-2009, 10:50 PM

i just call it like i see it.

and honestly, if you run into another set (front and rear) of hubs and knuckles, please let me know. i want them as backup... as we all know, if there is a way to break something, i'll find it...
Old 05-02-2009, 11:06 PM

i just call it like i see it.

and honestly, if you run into another set (front and rear) of hubs and knuckles, please let me know. i want them as backup... as we all know, if there is a way to break something, i'll find it...
Alright, I'll have to check on Monday, I think I have a set of front wrx hubs upstairs and possibly rears too.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ballz
Alright, I'll have to check on Monday, I think I have a set of front wrx hubs upstairs and possibly rears too.
for that, it would depend on what brake setup they work with...

ultimately, i want to get the 05+ Legacy GT rear brakes... have not decided on which fronts i want to go with yet...
Old 05-02-2009, 11:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
Originally Posted by I<3subie
What he said was ,,,,, you need to do it this way which is the right way. backed up his facts with more info. Then ....... broke his level of standards he made in the 1st and 2nd posts to make $38

No one else pick this up?
if a DIY guy went to the dealer for new knuckles / bearings / seals, how would they get the bearings pressed in? i really don't see a contradiction in his posts.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:25 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
Yeah the whole point of his offer was for the DIY people so they have a way of having the bearings pressed.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:53 AM

so, an update.

last saturday i brought the replacement knuckle/hubs home. as suggested, i replaced the inner seals with Timken seals. this seemed to work fine...

monday, i heard the tell tale signs that something was NOT right. i inspected it and low and behold, the Timken inner wheel bearing seals were not working... there was brown grease all over the inside of the passenger wheel and the upper portion of the knuckle.

i took tuesday off and brought the RS to AutoHQ. once pulled apart, it was obvious that the Timken inner seal was the cause of my problem. so, Bryan and i head over to Carlsen Subaru and pickup some OEM outer seals, as the Timken ones i brought did not fit at all... such a shock. HAH.

we also did NOT use the Timken inner seals - we got some from Kragen... they're a FAR cry better than the evil Timken ones...

while the RS was on the lift, it was pointed out to me that my universal joint that attaches the steering column to the steering rack was covered in grease... the source? the front drivers side axle inner boot was all but destroyed.

the same gentleman that sold me his 2000RS knuckles/hubs back on saturday, sold me his 2000RS axles! woot woot!

crisis averted!

so, the front wheel bearings were removed and replaced with brand new ones, with new NON-Timken seals all around, and the axles were replaced too!

unfortunately, as i got to the shop later than expected, this little project ran until 8:30pm...

Bryan, Kevin and Jerry stayed until the bitter end... once Jerry had taken my RS for a quick test spin (to make sure that everything was working without issues), we all got outta there... it was a REALLY long day for everyone...

with that, (as of tomorrow) my RS will be sporting an AutoHQ sticker... this is the first time any of my cars have ever had any shops sticker on it... and i will be happy to have the AutoHQ sticker on my RS.

so, a GIANT thanks and MAD PROPS to all the guys at AutoHQ for finishing my RS (despite how hellish it was) and for doing such a great job on it.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:07 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Glad to hear a good story....I have a question though, How do you go through 2 sets of wheel bearings in a year?

I've had to replace 2 about every 3 years...
Old 05-10-2009, 08:01 AM

i wish i knew. honestly. i know that my driving is aggressive, but i have never heard of someone going thru wheel bearings, or engines, or brakes, etc... as fast as i do...
Old 05-10-2009, 12:58 PM

not12listen, thanks from all of us at AHQ for the great write up!

-bryan
Old 05-10-2009, 09:21 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
i wish i knew. honestly. i know that my driving is aggressive, but i have never heard of someone going thru wheel bearings, or engines, or brakes, etc... as fast as i do...
What camber are you running, wheel off-set, suspension setup, and how much rough/off road driving do you do?

There are many things to factor in with wheel bearing wear, including improper installation.

I drive my wagon WRX pretty aggressive, and the first 3 years(75k miles) I was doing weekly mountain drives, plus a lot of long road trips to Redding. my drivers front wheel bearing was replaced(actually the entire hub) with an unknown bearing. The other 3 are stock, still working without wheel wobble at 132k miles/5 years.