wheel bearings...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:06 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX Wagon
www.precisionbearings.net

that is the place that i'm in contact with currently. i am waiting for a response at this moment, but will get this done ASAP and report back with my findings.

----

btw - they make the bearings themselves, so they can custom tailor them to fit a specific or generic application.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:49 PM

Car Info: 05 STi, 87 RX
I have to get my front wheel bearings changed. ;/ 87k miles and 2 seasons of HPDE tracking on an 2005 STi so either the 05 are rock solid or I drive like a girl!

The weird thing is that I discovered the bad bearing issue after I swapped my suspension setups.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:28 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
160K when i changed mine and 10< track days
Old 05-02-2009, 03:34 PM

went to AutoHQ today. HUGE OMFG MAD PROPS to bryan!

they pulled my *** out of the fire!

my bearings had seized and locked onto the hub and knuckle, making it impossible to remove the bearings from them...

thankfully, one of the cars there (another RS) was going thru a swap, and the owner did not need his stock stuff at all... SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

again, MANY thanks to AutHQ!!!

time to get my RS running again.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:39 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Originally Posted by not12listen
went to AutoHQ today. HUGE OMFG MAD PROPS to bryan!

they pulled my *** out of the fire!

my bearings had seized and locked onto the hub and knuckle, making it impossible to remove the bearings from them...

thankfully, one of the cars there (another RS) was going thru a swap, and the owner did not need his stock stuff at all... SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

again, MANY thanks to AutHQ!!!

time to get my RS running again.
Your welcome! Glad we could help!!
Old 05-02-2009, 03:43 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
Originally Posted by sigma pi
some one PMed me this

I didn't want to post, as it was getting way off target. But it was the 04 STi that had the crappy bearings. After three sets I got the 6 Gun kit and switched to the 05 and later set up. Should have done that the first time out. No issues what so ever since swithching out.

Check out 6gunracing. They have a kit that switches the 04 STi over to the 05+ bearings and steering knuckles. It is around $800 but well worth it as I have had no problems with 20+ track days on it. I was blowing through the 04 stuff in three or four track days. Sometimes at the track and it would have been $600+ for a tow home if someone hadn't volunteered their AAA+ card. I haven't talked to them in a while so I hope they are still in buisness. They also sell a kit for a little less that switches the bolt pattern over to 5X114. Then you have more options for wheels, but then you have to buy more wheels. Just thought you might want to know.
I can also add that I am running the 6 gun set up, Also had LIC Motorsports do the work.
Everything works perfect. But when buying from 6gun. make sure to talk to them about shipping. They slowed us way down and shipped by donkey or something.

As for costs. Well you get what you pay for. Cheap labor is there for a reason. Other shops charge what they charge because they know what it takes to get the job done right. ... And I will pay more for that.
I'd have to pick GST way over some shop charging $8 a hub.
But LIC is where my car gets parked for service.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:46 PM
banned

Originally Posted by Ballz
Joel, you also need to change the hub, hub housing, inner/outer seals, otherwise you will always have the same problem of the wheel bearings going bad no matter what type of bearings you use. The components all work in conjunction together. Just changing out the wheel bearing doesn't work, I see this on a daily basis.
Basically, once you press the wheel bearing in and out a couple of times, the hub housing hole gets bigger. Even though the hub housing hole only enlarges a very minute amount, it still allows for some damaging effects of play for the bearing which in turn causes it to go bad, hence why you should also change out the hub and hub housing too.
For all you fellas who can't get a hold of a bearing press, we have a nice hydraulic bearing press here at AHQ. I will be happy to have Jerry press in your bearings at a verrrry low price per hub. Say what $7.50? for each bearing pressed into the housing for you.

Let me know..

Oh, and as far as I know, everything comes separately...

Its not the right way to fix your car........
But wait... We will charge you and do it anyways,,,,, lol
Damn.... You flip like a $2 .............
You must really be bored huh?

Last edited by I<3subie; 05-02-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:57 PM
banned

not12listen

What wheels are you running? Any suspension mods? Als what do your ball joints and other stuff look like?
Old 05-02-2009, 04:52 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Originally Posted by I<3subie
As for costs. Well you get what you pay for. Cheap labor is there for a reason. Other shops charge what they charge because they know what it takes to get the job done right. ... And I will pay more for that. I'd have to pick GST way over some shop charging $8 a hub.
But LIC is where my car gets parked for service.
I can charge a lot more and match their prices. We get the job done right whether it's $8 or $150.. No need for the negativity..

Granted new hub housings, hubs, and inner/outer seals is what should be the right way to do the job. I'll honor what the customer wants...
Old 05-02-2009, 04:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant

What I got from Ballz's posts is that the right way to do it is to replace all the corresponding wear items, but for us "DIY kids" who do not own a press and want to do the work ourselves, they would be happy to press in the bearings for us, for the price quoted.

As I understand it, if I wanted to do the work myself, I would need someone to press the new bearings into the hub, since I do not own a press. How is this not the right way? Not trying to start an argument - just don't get what you are saying unless you are saying that taking it to LIC or GST is the right way...

Did someone at AHQ pee in your Cheerios?
Old 05-02-2009, 05:20 PM
banned

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
What I got from Ballz's posts is that the right way to do it is to replace all the corresponding wear items, but for us "DIY kids" who do not own a press and want to do the work ourselves, they would be happy to press in the bearings for us, for the price quoted.

As I understand it, if I wanted to do the work myself, I would need someone to press the new bearings into the hub, since I do not own a press. How is this not the right way? Not trying to start an argument - just don't get what you are saying unless you are saying that taking it to LIC or GST is the right way...

Did someone at AHQ pee in your Cheerios?
What he said was ,,,,, you need to do it this way which is the right way. backed up his facts with more info. Then ....... broke his level of standards he made in the 1st and 2nd posts to make $38

No one else pick this up?
Old 05-02-2009, 05:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
What he said was ,,,,, you need to do it this way which is the right way. backed up his facts with more info. Then ....... broke his level of standards he made in the 1st and 2nd posts to make $38

No one else pick this up?
No. In the last post you quoted, it was clearly directed at those of us that want to do the work ourselves but don't have a press. In fact, the 3rd post you quoted was in direct reply to my question. Anyway... I'll step out at this point.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:14 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Nut torque plays a very critical role in bearing life...

Wait, What has a bearing on my life?
Old 05-02-2009, 08:18 PM
banned

Originally Posted by AntiochCali
Wait, What has a bearing on my life?
...lol
Old 05-02-2009, 08:19 PM

not12listen

What wheels are you running? Any suspension mods? Als what do your ball joints and other stuff look like?
i was running Bilstein PSS9 coilovers for a while, until i blew one out entire (puked its oil all over the coilover and springs) - now i'm running stock suspension. Cusco 22mm adjustable rear sway bar.

i replaced the ball joints with Moog parts less than a year ago. inner tie rods look fine, but the outers really could be replaced... at that point, i'd just replace both and be done with it.

Quick Reply: wheel bearings...