What's the difference between 1 and 2 piece UPs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 06:40 AM

Car Info: N/A
I have the Cobb Up pipe and it is great, it's an awesome solid one piece and no leaks.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: the blue bucket
Originally Posted by ipozestu
I am not one bit impressed by the quality of helix.
Why?

Also regarding the testing of flow and such to what data do you have that companies such as Cobb/APS have conducted such tests?

I don't care overally as I run none of the aforementioned parts on my car just curious of the reasoning behind peoples posts especially when Helix uppipes have probably 3x that of their nearest compititor out there on cars.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: the blue bucket
Originally Posted by Group B
off-topic, but I'd rather install a quick-ratio rack than R&R the collumn!
Those Howe units have been around for ages and are proven to work pretty well and hold up to the test of time.

They do as others have mentioned make the stearing feel a little heavier (imagine a inbetween of power assisted and none assisted.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
Did you know Helix is a Taiwanese brand?

-GDO
Old 05-16-2005, 10:46 AM

I have an APS uppipe and it works great. I wouldn't bet $1 that it makes more/better power than a helix unit though.

I like most of the crucial uppipe, except for the inner powdercoat. I could be completely wrong and I haven't taken a minute to look it up again, but I believe they coat the insides of the pipe. I just don't want any crap on the inside to even have the remote possibility of flying through my turbo.

Yes they have a warranty. Yes they've tested it out. No, I wouldn't use it.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
Originally Posted by UK n00b
Those Howe units have been around for ages and are proven to work pretty well and hold up to the test of time.

They do as others have mentioned make the stearing feel a little heavier (imagine a inbetween of power assisted and none assisted.
man I like the idea of having heavier steering feel, like a BMW. do you know if the canadian-spec STi rack or the 12.5/1 Rev-lab feels different?

I'm also thinking that the Group N pump would need to be used for either of the quick-ratio racks...
Old 05-16-2005, 11:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
I have the JDM STI Uppipe......OEM = teh bettAr

-Ted
Old 05-16-2005, 11:14 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally Posted by Onizuka
Did you know Helix is a Taiwanese brand?

-GDO
Did you know a lot of cusco parts are made in taiwan?

-ZDO
Old 05-16-2005, 11:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: some silver thing
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
I have the JDM STI Uppipe......OEM = teh bettAr

-Ted

actually they're just JDM... no diff between STI and WRX...

this was a selling tactic a company was using to push those parts by labeling them as "STI" parts.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:25 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by EJ20Legacy
Okay, I got a touch out of control in THIS THREAD but it's probably a good read for anyone looking for an uppipe or anybody who thinks a solid uppipe is, in some way, a negative (because it's not).

A properly made, solid uppipe will out perform and out last any flex uppipe. Please see the above-linked thread for why I say so...

Jeremy

--- and I hear that steering rack is AWESOME!!!! The things people are saying who have driven it just sound amazing. ---

actually, the stock uppipe has a flex in it underneath the heatshield.. I personally haven't seen any helix flex uppipes fail or leak, but have seen plenty of solid uppipe with leaks and stress cracks.

installation wise, a flex uppipe will have a better chance for a leakless install vs the solid which takes a bit of prying here and there to sit properly.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
EJ20Legacy has said he's seen many broken/cracked flex sections, and Porkchop says he's seen many broken/stress-cracked solid uppipes, do either of you have any pics to show of?
Old 05-16-2005, 01:41 PM
VIP Member

nope
Old 05-16-2005, 02:12 PM

Car Info: 1942 ford pinto
i vote nay
Old 05-16-2005, 06:45 PM

Car Info: '98 Legacy GT - EJ20 swap, STI RA tranny, VF22+
Originally Posted by Aegon
I like most of the crucial uppipe, except for the inner powdercoat. I could be completely wrong and I haven't taken a minute to look it up again, but I believe they coat the insides of the pipe. I just don't want any crap on the inside to even have the remote possibility of flying through my turbo.
Crucial does NOT powdercoat its uppipes. They are ceramic coated. Check out their website to see how extensive of a process it is. OF COURSE it's coated on the inside and outside. Coating only the outside is a good way to cause metal fatigue. It also does nothing to protect the metal itself from exhaust heat or the corrosive elements in exhaust gasses.

Everybody who argues OEM is the best and flex sections are the best because the OEM one has one is crazier than a boiled owl. How many OEM parts have you swapped on your car for aftermarket parts? How much of an improvment did you see? Subaru put a catalytic converter in the uppipe pre-turbo. You guys think that was a great idea because it's OEM??? I don't see aftermarket ones with a cat. The flex section allows for looser tolerances and lower manufacturing and assembly costs because of it, and nothing else. It causes turbulence. Stock STI's see 5++ whp gains by simply switching to an aftermarket uppipe. The stock accordian section causes a huge amount of turbulence... that and the casting is very, very rough.

Originally Posted by groupB
EJ20Legacy has said he's seen many broken/cracked flex sections, and Porkchop says he's seen many broken/stress-cracked solid uppipes, do either of you have any pics to show of?
I wouldn't let you down!!!......

Josh (don't know his user name on here) had a Helix that failed on him. Braided sections will fail over time.

Here are a couple pictures of your precious JDM uppipe without the heat shielding. Not exactly sexy. Look at the pipe right before the turbo flange.... yikes. This one, btw, cracked where the yellow box is drawn:

Ted (GotBoost?) has a twin scroll JDM one, so he doesn't count, lol.

PDE recommends the flex one for ease on install if you have factory headers. If you have aftermarket headers, they recommend the solid one. Why? Because, according to them, aftermarket headers move around more and expand/contract more. A flex section IS NOT meant to see repeated movement and it will fail. They recommend the solid one because it is stronger and will stand up to that.

I have headers on my car that come w/ an uppipe. I don't even apply to any of this stuff. I'm not pimping solid because it's on my car.

If the company takes the time to make it PERFECT, like Crucial does, a solid uppipe is better. Better for longevity, performance, whatever...

Jeremy
Old 05-16-2005, 06:48 PM

Car Info: '98 Legacy GT - EJ20 swap, STI RA tranny, VF22+
btw -- if Subaru were smart about it, they would have put the flex section at the bottom of the pipe instead of the top. Farther from the turbo is better... gives the turbulence more time to smooth out and will affect spool/power less... apparently (my fluid dynamics knowledge isn't what it used to be )...

Quick Reply: What's the difference between 1 and 2 piece UPs?