What's a better deal on EMS tuned by Mike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 05:31 PM

What's a better deal on EMS tuned by Mike?

A Ecutek tuned by Mike or an Accessport tuned by Mike?

I plan on upgrading to a stage 2 sometime in the future, but if I get pulled over by cops, and have to revert back to stock, would I be charged for switching back to the stock map with Ecutek and then switching it back to stage 2?

Since Gruppe-S has some install specials on AP protuned by Mike, would this be a better choice if I have to switch back and forth between stock and stage 2 (like in the above case if I get sent to the state ref). Because I have read about some of the bad experiences CA people have had with AP, but it should be ok since it's tuned by Mike right?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:34 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
if the cops are your only issue and you don't need a 100 octane map then i'd say go with the ecutek as you can still revert back to stock and they won't realize you have ecutek in the car...ofcourse when you are stock u can't be going full throttle and stuff as your EM won't be tuned for that.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:35 PM

Car Info: 2003 Silver STi Wagon
now that they offer both, i have been wondering the same thing. maybe mike can post up his thoughts on the topic and which of the two he thinks is better.

-jon
Old 10-24-2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 02BlackWRX
if the cops are your only issue and you don't need a 100 octane map then i'd say go with the ecutek as you can still revert back to stock and they won't realize you have ecutek in the car...ofcourse when you are stock u can't be going full throttle and stuff as your EM won't be tuned for that.

well my main concern was that it would be a hassle driving from SF to Fremont just to switch maps. Go to Fremont, flash back to stock, drive back home, get tested at state ref, drive back to fremont, flash back to stage 2, drive back home, etc... And then I'm not sure if they charge a fee for flashing/switching a couple times.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:45 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally Posted by TurnWRX
well my main concern was that it would be a hassle driving from SF to Fremont just to switch maps. Go to Fremont, flash back to stock, drive back home, get tested at state ref, drive back to fremont, flash back to stage 2, drive back home, etc... And then I'm not sure if they charge a fee for flashing/switching a couple times.

i'm sure there is a fee for flashing

However what I was trying to say is that u don't really need to get flashed back as you'd probably still pass smog with all your stock parts and a tuned ECU.

You cannot see an ecutek is there...
Old 10-24-2005, 05:48 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
personally, I would go with a Cobb protune, as a consumer its the best route to go and tuning wise they see mto yieldc the same results now.

If you get popped or need dealer work, or need to sell the car, it is one less thing to deal with.
If you need to sell your EcuTek, then you need to eat the cost, or find someone to trade+cash.

I am happy with ecutek.
I have friends that have had both and the results are the same from the same tuner.
So with that, I would go with Cobb.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:49 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Right now, I see no downsides to AP over EcuTek, besides longevity in the market. Any tuner as capable as Mike should be able to the AP as well as EcuTek.

The multiple map abilities is great if you ever plan to race the car, or get a 100 oct map, etc.

Besides, the AP is easier to resell.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:52 PM

when i got a ref ticket all u have to do is pay the fine... casue i went to the ref and passed and then i went to court and said i was not guilty and they still made me pay the fine even though i went to the ref and passed then i asked the judge whats the point on going to the ref and he said just to drive til u have the court date... so i dunno when u get the ref ticket all u have to do is pay the fine...
Old 10-24-2005, 06:00 PM

The quality of the tune will be the same whether you choose the Cobb AP or Ecutek. Cobb AP does have multiple maps though so I would suggest that.

Thanks,
Preston
Old 10-24-2005, 06:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
I went with the Cobb Ap with protune for the reason that i can have a street and race gas map along with some safety maps and valet mode (even though i never use a valet).
Old 10-24-2005, 06:06 PM

how much is it to tune 2 custom AP maps with Mike?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by TurnWRX
how much is it to tune 2 custom AP maps with Mike?
$195/hr

Thanks,
Preston
Old 10-24-2005, 06:08 PM

well.. do you need the AP to have mike tune it? Cause i got cobb flashed before the AP was available, and now i am looking to go with a larger turbo. so can i just make an apt to have mike tune it if its just a cobb flashed ecu? Or do i have to buy the ecutek license....

prolly a stupid question but thought'd i ask

max
Old 10-24-2005, 06:13 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Cobb doesn't do it that way anymore...they will give you a discount on an AP, I understand.

You need the AP for a Protune.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:13 PM

Max - Sorry, you need to own a Cobb AP to get it tuned.

Thanks,
Preston

Quick Reply: What's a better deal on EMS tuned by Mike?