What's the benefit of using Nitrogen in your tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
What's the benefit of using Nitrogen in your tires?

I keep reading about cars that use nitrogen instead of oxygen to inflate their tires. High end cars like the new Skyline GTR have this done from the factory, but what happens when you need to re-inflate your tires? Where do you get nitrogen for your tires?

My best friend is a manager at America's Tire Co and he mentioned to me that they are eventually going to get nitrogen compressors...

What's the benefit of nitrogen? It's not weight savings, I know that for a fact ( ). I'm guessing that it has something to do with heat, where nitrogen doesn't expand when heated like oxygen... But I pretty much pulled that out of my butt.

I'm sitting in a waiting room waiting for my dentist, bored out of my mind and reading a car magazine... Since I can't access any other sites because this phone SUCKS I figured I'd ask you guys cuz its bothering me and I figured you guys will probably know.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:59 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
It maintains a consistent pressure more reliably than oxygen under heat and pressure changes (like altitude).
Old 05-04-2009, 03:16 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Gotta be careful with nitrogen...your car can flip over.

It's true.

BTW...you're running ~78% Nitrogen in your tires right now.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:20 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
YOU GET COOL GREEN CAPS ON YOUR TIRES!!!!!

In all honesty, nitrogen doesnt thermally expand at the rate air does. Therefore you dont need to undercompensate when filling tires at the track.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
As stated by others here it's more consistent and therefore used in mainly high performance and race orientated circumstances.

We use it and have it delivered by AirGas.

Mike
Old 05-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Gotta be careful with nitrogen...your car can flip over.

It's true.
Now that's a blast from the past right there mate!

Mike
Old 05-04-2009, 03:33 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
It maintains a consistent pressure more reliably than oxygen under heat and pressure changes (like altitude).
Way back when I was in chemistry class we learned that all gasses behave the same in this regard, PV=nRT.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...instead-of-air

Consumer reports did their own testing and determined it didn't matter for most people (they focused on the "holding pressure better than air" claim);

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...en-tires-.html

And of course all of the "Facts" from the nitrogen vendor industry clearly indicate you will get better mileage, longer treadwear, better acceleration, improved eyesight and more interest from the opposite sex if you put nitrogen in your tires;

http://www.getnitrogen.org/sub.php?view=getTheFacts

Actually they are pretty straightforward;
"Nitrogen and oxygen respond to changes in ambient temperature in a similar manner. This means that two cars sitting in a parking lot, one filled with nitrogen and one with air, will gain and lose about the same amount of pressure as the air temperature rises and falls.

However, compressed air also contains varying amounts of moisture and other contaminants, and these cause air-filled tires to fluctuate more in pressure and temperature under driving conditions than nitrogen-filled tires. Here's an example. While driving the average passenger car, a 35psi tire inflated with nitrogen may increase to 38psi, where a tire filled with regular compressed air may increase to 41psi. This is precisely why every race team for Nascar, Indy, Formula One and Le Mans use nitrogen inflated tires - more consistent tire pressure that translates into an improved contact patch and more consistent vehicle performance."

Last edited by psoper; 05-04-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:37 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by psoper
Way back when I was in chemistry class we learned that all gasses behave the same in this regard, PV=nRT.

Consumer reports did their own testing and determined it didn't matter for most people (they focused on the "holding pressure better than air" claim);

And of course all of the "Facts" from the nitrogen vendor industry clearly indicate you will get better mileage, longer treadwear, better acceleration, improved eyesight and more interest from the opposite sex if you put nitrogen in your tires;

The highlighted portion is key.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by psoper

Actually they are pretty straightforward;
"Nitrogen and oxygen respond to changes in ambient temperature in a similar manner. This means that two cars sitting in a parking lot, one filled with nitrogen and one with air, will gain and lose about the same amount of pressure as the air temperature rises and falls.

However, compressed air also contains varying amounts of moisture and other contaminants, and these cause air-filled tires to fluctuate more in pressure and temperature under driving conditions than nitrogen-filled tires. Here's an example. While driving the average passenger car, a 35psi tire inflated with nitrogen may increase to 38psi, where a tire filled with regular compressed air may increase to 41psi. This is precisely why every race team for Nascar, Indy, Formula One and Le Mans use nitrogen inflated tires - more consistent tire pressure that translates into an improved contact patch and more consistent vehicle performance."
Fair points, I think that the main reason it's used in racing applications is that the pressures are effected less and more consistently by heat.

I have not noticed an increased amount of female activity since our switch to it but will from now on make sure I brag about using Nitrogen more to see if it helps me get laid!

Mike
Old 05-04-2009, 03:41 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Reduction in moisture (compressed air can have 5% moisture) and nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules. That means you'll loose less tire pressure over a given period of time with nitrogen than with compressed air. Rubber tires are porous and you'll never eliminate a loss of pressure, but you can reduce it.

The more you know...
Old 05-04-2009, 03:51 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
for a matter of 0.5psi per year?

unless it is free and convenient, I'll keep using air and be just fine with it.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:54 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
anyone remember teh ferrari F1 mclearan drama

they stole thier formula for air in the tires

its s0me special blend that the tires wear less
Old 05-04-2009, 04:00 PM

Car Info: Car
It makes your wallet lighter, thus improving every aspect of the car from straight line acceleration to maximum cornering G.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
when i got my wheels/ tires mounted and balance over at a place in fremont, down the street from the walmart near frys, they recommended to use nitrogen.

if you need to get nitrogen Daniel, i cant remember the name of the place but they have it there. simply go go down osgood, pass walmart and youll see a tire shop on your right.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:16 PM

Car Info: baby blue TRICK STAR on pink TUFF II's (MIA) =(
i'll stick w/good ol air.

gradual loss of tire pressure >> them fugly, frog green nitrogen valve caps lol

Quick Reply: What's the benefit of using Nitrogen in your tires?