What is your favorite easy to make food experiment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:02 PM

Some of my favorites:

Spaghetti Carbonara - just boil some spaghetti in water, and while the water is coming up to a boil/the pasta is boiling, fry up some bacon (supposed to be made w/ pancetta, but bacon is faster), add some raw eggs to a bowl, grate some Parmesan cheese into the bowl, I like to add some microwaved frozen peas too, and when the pasta is done, just dump it into the bowl, add the bacon, stir everything together, add salt/pepper/red chili flakes, and eat. It's seriously one of the best things you can make with just a handful of ingredients.

Prime Ribeye - I usually get some at Costco for $8.99/lb - they usually come in 2 packs for ~$17-$20. Just let them come to room temp for about 30min-1hr, salt them about 15min prior to cooking, pat dry with a paper towel, add pepper, and sear them in a really hot cast iron pan - about 4min a side for medium rare. Sometimes, I won't even have anything on the side - just steak and a glass of wine.

Charcuterie Plate - I'll get some cured meats from a deli here in North Beach (hot coppa, red wine salami, mortadella, etc), some good cheese (petit basque, blue cheese, brie, etc.) and olives from Whole Foods, some bread, some wine - that's it - just put everything on a plate/platter and eat away. In fact, this is what I'm having for lunch today (minus the wine).
________
IPAD ACCESSORIES

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:02 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sport Wagon
I tend to throw together a salad and toss it with a chicken breast that I take right out fo the freezer, put it on a sheet pan covered in foil (easy clean up), sprayed with canola oil, sprinkle on grill seasoning, into hot toaster oven, cook until firm, chop up and put ontop of a salad tossed with my own balsamic vinagrette (just balsamic, seasoning, honey mustard, parmesian, and Extra Virgin Olive Oil). Quick and easy and the ingredients are hella cheap at Trader Joes.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:03 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
Stuffed chicken is fantastic, and quite healthy depending on what you stuff it with (lol dongs).

Start out with a chicken breast, skin it, de-bone it, flatten it with a meat tenderizer or use a can of canned food if you don't have one, and then spread whatever stuffing you choose onto it, fold it over and secure with toothpicks. Once done, put in an oven-safe dish, spread some kind of sauce over the top (cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, whatever), put some paprika on it, cover it and cook at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Add in a side of steamed vegetables and rice, potatoes or noodles and you've got a good healthy meal.

What's cool about it is the variety of stuffing that you can use. You can saute mushrooms, garlic, onions and mix it all together with Stovetop stuffing... or saute sliced garlic, spinach, onions and spread it on top of a layer of ricotta cheese. Endless possibilities.

A good one of those is to grab that feta cheese that's crumbles and flavored. Like rosemary or garlic. Stuff a couple garlic cloves in it. And some prociutto. (sp)

Toss a couple small red and white potatos and a chopped carrot and a handful of mushrooms in the dish with it.

Cover it with red wine and a little bit of olive oil mixed with some pepper and rosemary sprigs.

Bake it for about 30 minutes.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by wocabin
i hit the gym 3 times a week so for my meals i love Costco chicken breast strips. its all pure white breast meat. usually microwave it. or costco salmon patties. or eggs. or all together. its a fat protein diet lol
chicken breast tenders + shake n' bake breading. pop in the oven for 20 minutes. Add ketchup and beer.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:11 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by kyoung05
Some of my favorites:

Spaghetti Carbonara - just boil some spaghetti in water, and while the water is coming up to a boil/the pasta is boiling, fry up some bacon (supposed to be made w/ pancetta, but bacon is faster), add some raw eggs to a bowl, grate some Parmesan cheese into the bowl, I like to add some microwaved frozen peas too, and when the pasta is done, just dump it into the bowl, add the bacon, stir everything together, add salt/pepper/red chili flakes, and eat. It's seriously one of the best things you can make with just a handful of ingredients.
Oh my god I love spaghetti carbonara.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:12 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
A good one of those is to grab that feta cheese that's crumbles and flavored. Like rosemary or garlic. Stuff a couple garlic cloves in it. And some prociutto. (sp)

Toss a couple small red and white potatos and a chopped carrot and a handful of mushrooms in the dish with it.

Cover it with red wine and a little bit of olive oil mixed with some pepper and rosemary sprigs.

Bake it for about 30 minutes.
I'm going to have to try that!
Old 03-11-2009, 01:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Also don't forget the wonders of a slow-cooker and chili! I usually make my chili (actualy, everything I use beef in) with the less than 7% fat beef, add in the nutrition of the beens, the iron and (I think vitamin C) of the tomato and it rather healthy. I put in italian sausage as well last time, which adds some fat

1 lb beef
2 Trader Joe's spicey italian sausages
32 oz tomato sauce
~30 oz beans (they have premixed "chili" beans but I just get a 15 oz can of pinto and can of kidney beans)
2 packets of McCormick's chili seasoning

obviously it makes quite a bit, so you have leftovers galore I eat big meals and this makes enough for 3 dinners for me, especially if I eat it from a bread bowl.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:28 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
Originally Posted by UberMaus
This might sound a little gross but it tastes better than it sounds. Clam chowder and rice and tabasco.

MMMmmMmmmmm good munchies!
I just tried this out since I had a can of clam chowder, rice, and tabasco! It's actually pretty good!

The next time i'm going to leave the clam chowder in a bowl and scoop it into my rice bowl as i go.. kinda like how u eat curry. The rice got pretty soggy near the end.

I'm a huge fan of sriracha and had to try it with this also.. pretty good too. It's different that's for sure.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:31 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
Another one i always make is egg macaroni w/ maggi soy sauce. Pretty much it's like making macaroni and cheese but instead of cheese, throw in two or three eggs and lots of maggi soy sauce. It HAS to be the brand MAGGI or it won't taste good.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:50 PM

Car Info: 2006 STi 2012 STi
okie....so understand society is obsessed with spam.... but i grew up being forced to eat spam and salmon. My great uncle and great grandfather were salmon fishermen and all grandparents and greatgrandparents were around during the depression....so SPAM was a staple of life.... well that and MREs hahahah but i can still eat those.

not only that but, i after reading "The Jungle" in school.... i cant touch canned meat... traumatized me *shiver*

quick and easy......hrmm.

Tofu, salad, vingegar, soy, seasame seed oil and white pepper....cut tofu put on salad, andmix the liquid to make a dressing.

Lean Ground beef and MAC and Cheese... altho powder/boxed tastes less yummy.
add some nutmeg and cayenne

Costco sells Udon noodles in a 6 pack.... throw some seasame oil into a pan, fry up the noodles real quick, toss in some vegis and meat of choice and any kinda sauce you want/have and youre good to go! less than 10 min from start to finito!
Old 03-11-2009, 04:25 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
So let me get this straight... you dont cook the eggs? says to add raw eggs to a bowl then add cheese then you say add some peas..
then you say to add the pasta bacon etc and eat.. I thought it wasnt safe to eat raw eggs?? Never had the dish before so i was just wondering..

Some of my favorites:

Old 03-11-2009, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gibz
So let me get this straight... you dont cook the eggs? says to add raw eggs to a bowl then add cheese then you say add some peas..
then you say to add the pasta bacon etc and eat.. I thought it wasnt safe to eat raw eggs?? Never had the dish before so i was just wondering..
Yea, the heat from the pasta will cook the eggs (which should be beaten). I was freaked out about it at first too, but it's really delicious. The eggs, cheese, fat from the bacon, and the starchiness from the noodles all come together to create a creamy sauce. Just make sure to drain the pasta and immediately transfer it to the bowl with the eggs/cheese/peas, and toss everything well.

As for measurements, I find that 2 beaten eggs, about 1/3 - 1/2 cup of freshly grated Parmesan, 8 slices of bacon, and 3/4 cup of microwaved frozen peas works well for a 1/2 package of spaghetti. Then, add salt, pepper, and crushed red peppers to taste.
________
Ferrari Gt4 Specifications

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:46 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
ahh cool thanks for clarifying that. Sounds really good!

Yea, the heat from the pasta will cook the eggs (which should be beaten). I was freaked out about it at first too, but it's really delicious. The eggs, cheese, fat from the bacon, and the starchiness from the noodles all come together to create a creamy sauce. Just make sure to drain the pasta and immediately transfer it to the bowl with the eggs/cheese/peas, and toss everything well.

As for measurements, I find that 2 beaten eggs, about 1/3 - 1/2 cup of freshly grated Parmesan, 8 slices of bacon, and 3/4 cup of microwaved frozen peas works well for a 1/2 package of spaghetti. Then, add salt, pepper, and crushed red peppers to taste.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:37 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
another tip IMO is to mix up
2 part mayo
2 part ketchup
1 part mustard

just dump it into one squeeze bottle so you dont have to take 3 bottles out of the fridge every time you eat. It works on everything

Mansturd is good too (Mayo+mustard, no ketchup)
Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: looking for a gc
george foreman grill, almost any type of meat, and an herb and spice rack ftw