What is your favorite easy to make food experiment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
What is your favorite easy to make food experiment?

I've been real busy/lazy lately and just can't find the time to cook up something worthwhile and usually just end up getting fast food or going out to dine.. which gets pretty expensive.

What is your favorite semi-healthy easy-made food to eat?

I'm talking about good food that isn't SUPER healthy but good enough for someone that goes to the gym at least 3 times a week.

My own favorite that I made up on a random weekend with an empty fridge was..

1 Kirkland Turkey Patty from Cosco - Broiled
1 Corn Tortilla lined with honey to make it stick to the turkey patty
1 Tomato

After you broil the patty, wrap up the tortilla around the patty and let it grill a bit so the honey gets stuck to the patty.

Slice up the tomatoes and eat when the turkey gets too dry

Easy and not too unhealthy I don't think.

Anyone else have their own little food experiment they want to share?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:21 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
i hit the gym 3 times a week so for my meals i love Costco chicken breast strips. its all pure white breast meat. usually microwave it. or costco salmon patties. or eggs. or all together. its a fat protein diet lol
Old 03-10-2009, 11:51 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
The $4.99 roasted chicken at Costco is a great platter to start a quick meal with, imho. It can get kinda boring, but it's versatile.

Simple quick meal I like to make, is to get one of those, strip off some of the meat.
Saute some sliced sweet peppers, some sliced mushrooms and some diced onions. Grab a corn tortilla, put the pulled chicken and sauteed stuff like a taco. Add some hot sauce, and voila, quick less than 5 minute meal.

Or get some skinless boneless (I'm lazy) chicken breast, marinate in some fresh squeezed lemon juice and lemon pepper, and grill it. Since there's a good amount of juice in the meat, it comes out pretty moist. You can do whatever you want with this, even eat it by itself.

There's also fish, which is pretty healthy. Salmon on a grill is pretty hard to screw up. Just throw some lemon juice, a small bit of brown pepper, diced cucumber, salt/pepper, and other spices you think will taste good.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:07 AM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
lol i had answers for you until i read the healthy gym part haha.

I slather all my food with butter or mayo or cheese. Those are the magic buttons.

Tuna mayo and canned corn is good and quick to mix up.

Or chicken on top of sourdough bread and some good cheese on top, then bake it til the cheese is brownish. Basically how Rivas on the Santa Cruz wharf does it with their crab sandwiches, but crab is expensive.

the other 50% of the food i eat is frozen mexican food covered in Pace salsa

oh yeah fish is good on rice if you have a good buttery sauce. I eat that a lot.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
When I was in Davis I'd always have a can of Spam, Sriracha, rice, and broccoli in the kitchen. On top of a bowl of steaming rice, I'd add slices of pan fried Spam (nice crispy on the outside), cooked broccoli, and some Sriracha.

It's the Asian in me.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:35 AM

Car Info: SGM 135i
egg and spam and rice (not so health but cheap)

I usually get some wheat bread, lettuce, slice of cheese (your choice) over easy egg and turkey meat and make yourself a sandwhich. Very filling because of the egg, and i buy the egg and meat in bulk at costco and head of lettuce so you can peel away the oxidized outside layer to get to the fresh center, this way yo uget fresh lettuce for longer.

ramen and eggs with some bok choy works too. fry the bok choy first, then the egg, and then as the eggs get close to cooked, pour the water in, enough to semi cover the ramen. After the water, put in the ramen, and wait for the ramen to finish cooking. All this should be done in a wok or a deep frying pan.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:36 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
it usually takes less than 10 minutes to boil most kinds noodles for pasta...and there are like 50 sauces premade at safeway...and like ravioli or tortellini stuff...

and then leftovers are easily stored for a day or two in fridge..

Last edited by slugrx; 03-11-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:41 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
yea i make some random **** with spam too.... (btw, i dont really eat healthy lol, im just a bottomless pit of a twig)

i've made things from spam quesadillas (off the back of spam box), to trippled stacked oven roasted spam sanwiches with lettuce, tomato, pickles, cheese all that good stuff. recently, when im studying but dont feel like puttin too much in effort, i'd put some sliced spam in the oven, oven roast some bread and eat spam with bread and pickles lol. its actually not as bad as it sounds.

then you got the traditional spam with rice, but i dont have a rice cooker in my apt in sj. boo....

you can think of some creative/unique food inventions when you are trying to be cheap or quick. spam is like a universal ingredient.

cant recall anymore atm.

Last edited by pho_shizzle; 03-11-2009 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:58 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
I once took some ground beef and mixed it in with some mac and cheese...

Hamburger helper is the better way to go.

I would also say that nuking any kind of bread/meat/cheese combo is a good way to go.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 AM

Kraft Box Mac n Cheese, add in some Spicy SPAM. Very tasty
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2009, 11:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Pretty much what I eat most days that I am home: sammich. Yesterday it was peppered roast turkey on buttermilk toast w/ cream cheese instead of mayo (I like it better) w/ iceberg lettuce, tomato, sliced avocado, fresh fried/dried "applewood smoked" bacon and sliced Iberico cheese. Some salt/pepper chips and a pint of Mirror Pond. Was "shut yo mouf" good.

I pick up bread, cheese, meat and such usually at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's and it's not expensive or hard to do this - mix and match ingredients and such to make it interesting.

Love the SPAM and rice though.. Slice it thin, fry it up, NOMMINS. Most people recoil in fear until they try it.

Next favorite is prolly crock-pot meals. Toss a "round top round" roast from Costco in with some diced jalepenos, peppers, fresh garlic, sliced onions, cumin, chili powder, and a few other things then turn it on, walk away for 8 hours. Come back and it basically crumbles into shredded beef. Install in a tortilla and wowza. Put it over rice, whatever. Easy peasy and damn snacky-licious.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Meep Meep!
Corn beef hash + Rice, just cook it up in a skillet..

Hotdog, instant mash potato mix, slice of cheese. Just cut a slit in to dog, a scoop or two of mash taters, lay cheese ontop, microwave for 10-15secs (or light toast setting in toaster oven) until the cheese melts.. VOILA!

Chicken corn chowder with tabasco and some bread.. A meal in itself.

This might sound a little gross but it tastes better than it sounds. Clam chowder and rice and tabasco.

MMMmmMmmmmm good munchies!

Last edited by UberMaus; 03-11-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:52 AM

Car Info: *WiDe AnD LoW*
*Bag of Chex mix (just the Chex, not with all that other crap)
*Japanese Rice Seasoning
*Sesame Oil

put Chex mix in a large ziplock bag, pour some sesame oil in the bag (make sure you have good coverage), then pour a crapload of Japanese Rice Seasoning in. Shake the bag and make sure the rice seasoning sticks and spreads on the Chex mix. add more oil and seasoning if needed.

Once its all covered, pour the Chex mix into a pan and fry it over the stove for awhile until its brown and crispy. Let sit and awhile and BAM! instant stoner food (eventhough I dont smoke)!
Old 03-11-2009, 11:57 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Make some mango salso or some avo salsa. Toss it over a turkey burger and some rice.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:58 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Stuffed chicken is fantastic, and quite healthy depending on what you stuff it with (lol dongs).

Start out with a chicken breast, skin it, de-bone it, flatten it with a meat tenderizer or use a can of canned food if you don't have one, and then spread whatever stuffing you choose onto it, fold it over and secure with toothpicks. Once done, put in an oven-safe dish, spread some kind of sauce over the top (cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, whatever), put some paprika on it, cover it and cook at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Add in a side of steamed vegetables and rice, potatoes or noodles and you've got a good healthy meal.

What's cool about it is the variety of stuffing that you can use. You can saute mushrooms, garlic, onions and mix it all together with Stovetop stuffing... or saute sliced garlic, spinach, onions and spread it on top of a layer of ricotta cheese. Endless possibilities.