what shop makes custom sub boxes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 09:39 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
thanks for the info ldivinag. but yeah basically, i've got the sub, i just needed a nice but cheap box to house it. so im not really looking into any other equipment alternates to the sub. but im waiting to see if i can take STim crazy up on his offer. if the matierials are the price you say, and i got a pro to guide me, it might turn out to be a pretty awesome fun project. better than dropping 300 bucks on a box. hope this works out! thanks a ton for all of everyones help so far.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
an alternative to motor music is Sound and Alarm right up the street. Talk to Peter. They do alot of custom jobs there.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
Custom Car Alarms in Pleasant Hill. 925-680-8881. Ask for Bryan or Ning. Tell 'em Cal@Gruppe-S sent ya
Old 04-19-2005, 09:35 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
Originally Posted by 1fastGC
Custom Car Alarms in Pleasant Hill. 925-680-8881. Ask for Bryan or Ning. Tell 'em Cal@Gruppe-S sent ya
Thanks i'll give them a call later. is their pricing pretty competitive?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:04 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by STi'm Crazy
I have the skillz to pay the billz when it come's to box building if you want i can show and help you build a fiberglass box for free i have all the tools needed.

can you repair them?

i have a crack in mine and the dude that built it has turned impossible to get a hold of. So I need a repair jobby.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:03 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
can you repair them?

i have a crack in mine and the dude that built it has turned impossible to get a hold of. So I need a repair jobby.

you can buy a fiberglass repair kit for like $20 or so.

comes with enough resin/liquid and some 'glass to repair cracks in boats and stuff.

walmart carries it in the auto section, by the car paints/cleaning stuff, IIRC...
Old 04-19-2005, 02:48 PM

Car Info: car info
go and talk too mark at "motor music" on market street, about a box he's the best in the east bay for boxes wood or fiberglass
Old 04-19-2005, 03:20 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by phoryu2nv
i got a fiberglass box made for $250 at pacific stereo.

that actually looks really nice...especially for coming out of PS. I wouldn't set foot in that place again. They have great deals on parts...that's about all I'd do there.

I went round and round with them for a long time on my last car. I ran a full JL system. They hooked it up wrong and blew my amp and supposedly my front speakers. Then charged me $80 in shipping to send it back so I could get new stuff. In the process I saw they put the low end 5.25 seperates instead of the high end 6.5's like I paid for. That's probably why they blew...overpowered. I got everything back and they put it back together and jacked it up again. They had my car for a couple days and when I got it back I popped the speaker covers off and saw they ran the midrange 6.0's instead of the 6.5's I paid for. I started to realize this must be common practice....employees swap in cheaper **** so they can take the good ****. or they just are that stupid to put the wrong stuff in. So I talked to them and they decided they couldn't fit 6.5's in it so I had to live with the 6's...I was out the money. I told them I'd be back to talk to them. Then I went up to go snowboarding. I parked in the garage and rolled down the window to talk to my folks before I left....it wouldn't go back up. So I ended up having to drive home in the snow with my window a quarter of the way down. I went back in and talked to them...the best I could do was get them to give me a 1 farat Digital cap for $50. I proceeded to cost them a couple of very high dollar installs cause people kept talking to me about why I was so pissed. The owner that seemed pretty cool before this started getting pissed cause I was costing him money so we stood there in the door way face to face talking. I told him..you cost me money. I cost you money. He got threatening and I took a step out of the door and said lets go. he backed down like the punk that he is. I am not a violent person. It takes a lot to **** me off. But to lie to me 3 times. Screw me car up and then call me the bad person for bringing it to your attention. he's lucky I didn't break his jaw on the spot.

I wouldn't send my worst enemy there. I know a former installer there..even he talks **** about how dirty they are. You are VERY lucky you got what you did.

Oh...and you might consider building a cover for that amp...it's gonna get jacked. both of mine are exposed and they are beat to freakin hell.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:08 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

was this the PS in fremont?

i went there when they just opened a few years ago.

i dont know about you, but when i walked in there, the sales droids were cussing like crazy WITH the customer. and it was loud.

it was like "dude, you wont find a better <bleeping> deal that what i just gave you."

plus i get the sleazy feeling the few times i was there too...
Old 04-19-2005, 04:19 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by ldivinag
was this the PS in fremont?

i went there when they just opened a few years ago.

i dont know about you, but when i walked in there, the sales droids were cussing like crazy WITH the customer. and it was loud.

it was like "dude, you wont find a better <bleeping> deal that what i just gave you."

plus i get the sleazy feeling the few times i was there too...
yup...that's the one. The guys there are idiots. I seriously had to do my best impersonation of a priest to keep from woopin the dudes ***.

I seriously cost them about $15k in less than 10 minutes. There was an older dude there that I talked to...he was gonna do some all out deal...over $5k and there was some baller dude in a denali that was gonna drop like $10-15k. I said go someplace else. Try junior's or sound innovations. haaaaaa...

The owner was right there for one of them...can't remember which. He was pretty pissed since they were working out the small stuff on the big system.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:28 PM

Car Info: Twin WRX Turbo VR-4
i got a fiberglass box made for $250 at pacific stereo. they give me discounts now that ive brought some of my friends there...heres what it turned out lookin like...

How well do those speakers sound compared to a "normal" box? It doesn't seem like
it would be sounding as good as a larger box that is also sealed
Old 04-19-2005, 07:53 PM

Car Info: Eq TuNeD vF43 bUgEyE
onemanarmy - yes i wouldnt recommend anyone to go there either, other than to buy stuff...but the guy that worked on my car was cool...he did talk **** bout the place too, but he did a good job i think, he was cool, forgot his name tho.

slagehammer - to me it sounds good, it hits pretty hard...u cant hear rattlin till u open up the truck, but then again, i havent dynamate under it yet, planning to once i get off my lazy ***..if u want u can PM me and we can meet up and u can take a listen to it.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:06 PM

Car Info: Twin WRX Turbo VR-4

slagehammer - to me it sounds good, it hits pretty hard...u cant hear rattlin till u open up the truck, but then again, i havent dynamate under it yet, planning to once i get off my lazy ***..if u want u can PM me and we can meet up and u can take a listen to it.

Nah its cool... i was just wondering if there was a noticable difference since it's in such a small enclosure, but then again they are JL's, hehe

Quick Reply: what shop makes custom sub boxes?