What has broken on your WRX/STi, and at what mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 07:41 PM

Car Info: '05 sti
at 27,000 miles i finally broke ... into the 12's ;p
Old 04-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
02 wrx with 84K miles

cv boot ripped? replaced around 30K
cracks on windshield (so far they haven't spread yet)
blew motor at 50K. Santa Cruz replaced under warranty
lost front bumper when I went offroading
friend blew 2nd gear a month ago
center brake light burned/fell off...or something...i use tape to hold up the bulb now...
02 sensor in header blew out once...don't know how...all I know is it happened and I had a giant hole there...sounded so ridiculous lol
Old 04-30-2007, 09:14 AM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
Sold it last month at 69K. Here is what I remember that wasn't "self induced"

MOTOR at 1.5K (yes, 1.5K!). Spun rod bearing. Warranty replacement shortblock and one head (other head was fine). Appears to have been some freak bad luck issue.

Turbo inlet tube split at around 40K. Replaced it myself with a Samco silicone turbo inlet

Factory clamp on PCV valve hose got "loose" at around 50K, causing smoke and oil smell from a fine oil mist hitting the turbo under sustained boost . Replaced with good clamps (i.e. worm clamps, not that "clip on" factory crap), problem went away.

OEM battery died at just under 4 years old. Replaced with Kragen's finest

That was pretty much it. Car had a few creaks and such when I sold it, but nothing major. I suspect the new owner (who is a decidedly NON-spirited driver, and I doubt will ever mod anything back on it) will get quite a few trouble-free miles out of it.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:38 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by mcdrama
Sounds exactly like what is happening on my car right now. I was running catless, and at idle there was a bunch of smoke coming out. But driving on the freeway, expressway, and regular 25-35mph roads no smoke. I put my stock 3rd cat back on cause I don't want to get pulled over and have the hood popped, and at least now it looks more "normal" at idle.

Once I replace the turbo(hopefully tomorrow) I will swap the 3rd cat for the race pipe and see if I loose more oil out the tail pipe.

arty43:
:armee_smilies133:

Why can't we have a standard set of emoticons?

sounds exactly like mine as well.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:55 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
sounds exactly like mine as well.

You are not catless though, right?
Old 04-30-2007, 09:56 AM

Car Info: The ladies wild
Wow, I used to think my car was beat up, but looking at the repairs for everyone else, I'm feeling a little better 73k on an 02 wrx sedan (mainly daily driven) and the only major repair was my clutch and flywheel, already replaced of course. Other than that, I have not had any problems as a result of my driving, just vandalism to the car's exterior. Knock on wood! Oh, and about the whole crappy windshield story. Funny thing happened to me. I was driving on some bumpy roads and my rear view mirror just falls right off the windshield. Come to find out the mirror has taken out a big chunk of glass it was glued to. Just an insurance check later and it is fixed. I love window coverage!
Old 04-30-2007, 10:03 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I just finished installing the defi oil pressure/psi gauge sensor. talk about a PITA!

crow foot open end wrenches FTW! $8.99 at harbor freight, or $39.99 at OSH/Sears. :sigh: OSH is a LOT closer and I needed them at 7am this morning. :\

I finished replacing the turbo yesterday around 6pm.
After 2 trips to kragen(forgot my wallet the first time), 1 trip to starbucks, and many visits to scoobymods.com(paranoia, reading everything 10x so it is melted in to my brain), I got the turbo replaced, oil gallery plug installed, uppipe-to-turbo gasket, and both downpipe gaskets replaced, I managed to do it all on my own in about 8 hours.
I was also drinking a ton of water and pissing like crazy. Working directly in the sun sucks.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:05 AM

Car Info: The ladies wild
Did you just install a factory TD04? Either way that's pretty cool you could do that yourself.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:23 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by mcdrama
I just finished installing the defi oil pressure/psi gauge sensor. talk about a PITA!

crow foot open end wrenches FTW! $8.99 at harbor freight, or $39.99 at OSH/Sears. :sigh: OSH is a LOT closer and I needed them at 7am this morning. :\

I finished replacing the turbo yesterday around 6pm.
After 2 trips to kragen(forgot my wallet the first time), 1 trip to starbucks, and many visits to scoobymods.com(paranoia, reading everything 10x so it is melted in to my brain), I got the turbo replaced, oil gallery plug installed, uppipe-to-turbo gasket, and both downpipe gaskets replaced, I managed to do it all on my own in about 8 hours.
I was also drinking a ton of water and pissing like crazy. Working directly in the sun sucks.

If SOA hoses me I'm either trading in or going bigger so I might need some help if jeff is too busy or what not. Probably vf34 or td0518g with an 8cm.

We'll see......hopefully they'll fix my isht.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:02 AM

I hit 100,000 miles last week.

The only unexpected failure was the A/C condensor blew up when the car was about 2 years old. It was fixed under warranty.

One of the head gaskets started to leak slightly at 90,000 so AHQ did the Subaru gasket conditioner TSB and it seems to have been ok since.

I've had bad luck with windshields (on #5 at the moment) and punctures (7 over the last 5 years).

It needed a new battery at 4 years, but that was due to negligence. I assumed that the original battery was maintennance free. The battery died from running dry. The only thing that surprised me in hindsight was that it wasn't being topped up every 7500 during dealer services.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:06 AM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
broken A/C only means 50 lbs taken off your car, sounds like a mod to me
Old 04-30-2007, 11:09 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
after 216,000 miles my list is so long it isn't worth typing.

easier to answer what is still original;

Turbo,
struts and springs
gearbox
center driveshaft
back door windows and cargo area windows
all doors
side skirts (although they are falling off)
back hatch and window
power steering pump...and um.....

and one of my sets of rims, although I'm not sure which ones.

Things that went I believe prematurely or repeatedly;

Windshield (soon to buy #5)
Battery (OEM dead in about a year, Optima has performed awesomely ever since)

Last edited by psoper; 04-30-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:17 AM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Why do you guys keep replacing your window with the brittle/easy to break suby window. My PPG replacement is of much higher quality. I have had way more rocks hit this windshield than my oem and I have 0 chips. Some is the luck of the draw but it would seem the oem has the highest breakage rate.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:35 AM

Car Info: White 04 Sti
04 STi, 62k hard miles. The struts went bad after 40k after 10+ trackdays, replaced with Tein Flex at 50k. Everything else ok so far...

Japanese cars are still the best. Had a new 97 M3 and been back to the dealer for numerous fixes...too many to count. No more German cars.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MOPAR Baby!! yeeaaaahhh
47k miles now, probably 37k on the vf39 setup and i havnt had a single thing break yet, not one. I melted my brakes a few times already but thats about it.

Quick Reply: What has broken on your WRX/STi, and at what mileage?