What happened around here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 10:23 PM

Car Info: 09 WRX
i just wanted to pop in and show off a pic too, the car thats been my headache for the last 5 months has finally driven 42 miles without a check engine light. it still needs some repairs but its come a long way.
pretty sure the center diff is failing and it might have low oil pressure i'm going to sort those issues out soon, but ive repaired a ton of other stuff and done many mods.
its currently sitting on a set of 2020 BRZ wheels i custom painted. 3mm spacers behind them. the BRZ wheels are 7mm lower offset than the factory wheels for this car, so the 3mm spacers are a safe little bump towards a nicer looking fitment. Overall this wont be the completed look for the car, i have a front lip and some other little goodies to change but in the meantime just thought i would drop this here, considering my avatar is still the Legacy i used to own years ago haha
also coincidence, there was mention of legacy wheels on wombatsauces BRZ because couldnt find stock wheels, and here i am with BRZ wheels on my WRX.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:35 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
lol that is funny that he used LGT rims on BRZ and you used BRZ. Those BRZ rims in that color look pretty similar to what would have come on that car originally, but they look better than the WRX ones IMO.

I just replaced the stock grille on my '10 to the OEM Sport one. I prefer the look.

Lots of stuff to fix on this one too, expected for a car of this age.

Last edited by 04GG; 07-08-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Diavolo
i just wanted to pop in and show off a pic too, the car thats been my headache for the last 5 months has finally driven 42 miles without a check engine light. it still needs some repairs but its come a long way.
pretty sure the center diff is failing and it might have low oil pressure i'm going to sort those issues out soon, but ive repaired a ton of other stuff and done many mods.
its currently sitting on a set of 2020 BRZ wheels i custom painted. 3mm spacers behind them. the BRZ wheels are 7mm lower offset than the factory wheels for this car, so the 3mm spacers are a safe little bump towards a nicer looking fitment. Overall this wont be the completed look for the car, i have a front lip and some other little goodies to change but in the meantime just thought i would drop this here, considering my avatar is still the Legacy i used to own years ago haha
also coincidence, there was mention of legacy wheels on wombatsauces BRZ because couldnt find stock wheels, and here i am with BRZ wheels on my WRX.
Nice! I hope it stays fixed! Bummer about the center diff but hopefully it can be worked out without too much pain. Those BRZ wheels look really nice in that colour. I would run them on my car like that. I have still never seen a set in person though. I have not liked the stock look in pictures. Mine is a 2017 and there are only 72x 2017-2020 registered in this whole country. What are the offset of the WRX wheels? These Legacy wheels I have are +55 so really I should be running at least a 10mm spacer, but I have them bolted on for now. It is a little tucked but I am just trying this out - since I think I will just keep them, and I need to get the TPMS sensors done, I will probably get spacers at that time.

TPMS is ridiculous on the BRZ, I had no idea. I need to get 4x new sensors, have them installed, and then bring my winter wheels along to the Subaru place and have the ID's cloned or something.

Originally Posted by 04GG
lol that is funny that he used LGT rims on BRZ and you used BRZ. Those BRZ rims in that color look pretty similar to what would have come on that car originally, but they look better than the WRX ones IMO.
Yeah it is pretty funny. I read somewhere that BRZ wheels look nice on anything but a BRZ... Ha. We did not get the LGT here in Sweden, sadly, but the regular Legacy w/ 2.0 and 2.5 came with the same wheels. They pop up on the classifieds all the time, usually for about $200. They are the same size but wrong offset. I think they look pretty good on the BRZ though so I am going to keep them most likely.

There are several sets of STi wheels (usually '08+) but I can't use the bolt pattern. Bummer because any of those would look great on my BRZ.

Nice STi! Hope it treats you well. I too prefer the sport grille. They had one for the Legacy (my 2013) as well and I am going to see if I can track one down. Just a border and then the black mesh instead of the weird *** wings or whatever mine has..

I got my exhaust done on my Legacy on Tuesday. It now has a straight pipe from the cat, back to a Y and out to two tips (2" pipe after the Y). All stainless. The guy doing the exhaust told me I didn't need a muffler at all and I was like... Uhhhhh... Hmm. He said that with the turbo, particulate filter and cat that I would not even notice a difference. So I took a chance, and he is pretty much right. I can barely hear a teeny rumble and then a slight growl at full throttle from 3500-4500. The main thing for me was getting rid of the stupid block-off on the RH side of the bumper. I know that sounds idiotic, but it bothered me. So it looks symmetrical now, and much to my delight - it does not sound like a dump truck.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:48 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Nice STi! Hope it treats you well. I too prefer the sport grille. They had one for the Legacy (my 2013) as well and I am going to see if I can track one down. Just a border and then the black mesh instead of the weird *** wings or whatever mine has..
Yeah, mine was cracked, so I needed to replace it anyway. I like that this one is body color instead of just gunmetal too. (Not pic of my car, but basically identical). DIff is OK, but steering rack needs replacing. It will be something after 10yrs.

I got my exhaust done on my Legacy on Tuesday. It now has a straight pipe from the cat, back to a Y and out to two tips (2" pipe after the Y). All stainless. The guy doing the exhaust told me I didn't need a muffler at all and I was like... Uhhhhh... Hmm. He said that with the turbo, particulate filter and cat that I would not even notice a difference. So I took a chance, and he is pretty much right. I can barely hear a teeny rumble and then a slight growl at full throttle from 3500-4500. The main thing for me was getting rid of the stupid block-off on the RH side of the bumper. I know that sounds idiotic, but it bothered me. So it looks symmetrical now, and much to my delight - it does not sound like a dump truck.
A friend of mine had a OBXT, the older generation, here and he had done a dual exhaust on it too, I think from a Euro Forester STI or Spec B Legacy or something. It didn't have a blank off, it actually had a bumper with no cutouts. He got a JDM bumper that has the cutout and aftermarket exhaust that fit and it looked really good...like it was meant to be (it was everywhere but here lol).

Oh, I found a pic, he moved from CA to OR
Name:  mVA6msU_d.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  564.5 KB

Last edited by 04GG; 07-08-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:54 AM
VIP Member

Yeah, mine was cracked, so I needed to replace it anyway. I like that this one is body color instead of just gunmetal too. (Not pic of my car, but basically identical). DIff is OK, but steering rack needs replacing. It will be something after 10yrs.

A friend of mine had a OBXT, the older generation, here and he had done a dual exhaust on it too, I think from a Euro Forester STI or Spec B Legacy or something. It didn't have a blank off, it actually had a bumper with no cutouts. He got a JDM bumper that has the cutout and aftermarket exhaust that fit and it looked really good...like it was meant to be (it was everywhere but here lol).

Oh, I found a pic, he moved from CA to OR
Makes sense. My reasoning for the grille is again just around looks. Ha. Not 100% sure I will find one anyway. After that the only other thing I really want for now is a short shifter from a USDM 2010 LGT. Supposedly it works in my car as well, and makes the shifting a little less like a stick in a bucket of rocks. This is the 6spd with cable actuation... Nothing at all like the classic Suby shifting or my BRZ which is just awesome (a Subaru with a Toyota transmission... It's like the ultimate vehicle haaaa). It's actually a lot like a MKIV VW if you have driven one of those. Moving the shifter around sounds like shaking a cardboard box with a rock inside.. Works okay once moving but meh.

So yeah I went from this:

To this:

Still surprised at how quiet it is.

Funny thing about car differences country to country - the previous gen Outback, like your friend's - all of them have dual outlet exhaust here - even the diesel. As for my car's generation, they sold something like eleven LGT's here, all 2010, all automatic for whatever reason and then killed the model. Eleven. Most of the 2010-2014 are diesel which only came with a 6spd, in various trims; then 2.0L gas with a 6spd (EJ20 and then FA20 somewhere mid range wtf/over), 2.5L gas - CVT only, and a handful of CNG (which I did not even know Suby did until seeing them here). Only the 11 or so LGT came stock with dual outlet exhaust, yet literally every car sold here has the dual outlet bumper, exhaust on the left only, and a badly fitting block-off on the right (seems like they warp). They did sell a "sport exhaust" with the kit like the grille and whatnot for the diesel models and I have seen some of those here - those have a dual outlet exhaust, but other than that it's block-offs everywhere. So strange how they make these decisions..

My Legacy is the "Sport" package which includes Bilsteins, slightly lower springs (like 30mm or somesuch), and the black/fake carbonium trim/black leather, instead of silver stuff everywhere and cloth (my previous/ex Legacy has the silver stuff inside, does not want). I looked at one other car like mine that had the full compliment of Sport add-ons on top of the Sport package and it looked great but had unfortunately been gently crashed on the RH side by the time I came to look at it. Apparently someone at the dealership discovered that AWD helps you go but does not really do much for stopping (it was the middle of winter). I feel like I dodged a bullet with that one... They changed the add and removed all pics of the right front, and parked it so it was hard to see the RF corner.. Once I saw that, it was just - no.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:22 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Damn, looks good. If we got this format in the US, Levorg/Leggy wagon, I would own one. I do like the current OBXT a lot, but CVT only.

Sunday I saw my first Wilderness on the road. Looks cool, but no so different that I think most people would even notice. I noticed because of that nice blue color and the accents. It is really hard to tell the additional height until you get closer up. I was at a light with him and that's when I could tell.

Last edited by 04GG; 07-09-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:48 AM
VIP Member

Damn, looks good. If we got this format in the US, Levorg/Leggy wagon, I would own one. I do like the current OBXT a lot, but CVT only.

Sunday I saw my first Wilderness on the road. Looks cool, but no so different that I think most people would even notice. I noticed because of that nice blue color and the accents. It is really hard to tell the additional height until you get closer up. I was at a light with him and that's when I could tell.
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it. Yeah I don't get why they stopped selling the basic Legacy wagon in the US. This thing in a LGT trim with a 6spd would be such a perfect all-rounder. But marketing says we don't like them, or something.

I was so excited about the Levorg until I found that it is CVT only. I really don't understand that at all. It would be such a great car with a 6spd. Curiously it is really close in external size to my Legacy but feels absolutely tiny inside. I was like a kid in a candy store when I went to a Suby dealer here, then finds out all the candy is fake plastic... It's like a personal insult. Subaru why you do this? But it seems like the Levorg is CVT only around the world, even Japan. So weird.

I don't think we get the Wilderness here either, but not sure about that one. Definitely not getting the new BRZ - seems like no plans to bring it anywhere in the EU. Subaru no longer sells anything with a manual gearbox here - all models but BRZ since 2018 and then the last BRZ was 2020. The dealer told me "if you like a manual then you should keep your car."

I did some reading and it seems like the LGT 2.5 turbo was disco'd quickly because it did not conform to Euro5 emissions standards.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:58 PM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
I was an OG BAIC WRX guy. I bought the original allocation MY02 WRX back in March of 2001. I’m hearing rumors of a new STi coming and am kind of thinking about getting one. I also want a Lotus Emira…we’ll see how this plays out!
Old 07-15-2021, 10:06 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Well, the next WRX should show up pretty soon. The STI will be a bit longer wait. I am waiting for it too, trade in or sell my sedan for that. Likely the last gas powered STI.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:56 PM

Anybody know more about this?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/cali...mpression=true

I have heard about this being planned for awhile but will it actually be wide spread implemented? How many thousands of cars are there with accessports etc... What do you all think will happen? Anybody know the more technical side of this?
Old 07-19-2021, 06:54 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
People are going to get boned on it...

Ive heard that CARB has been collecting check sums of stock ECUs across manufacturers to place in a database, they can then check them against your car to see if it aligns.. So, Cobb AP, would fail..
Old 07-19-2021, 07:25 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Anybody know more about this?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/cali...mpression=true

I have heard about this being planned for awhile but will it actually be wide spread implemented? How many thousands of cars are there with accessports etc... What do you all think will happen? Anybody know the more technical side of this?
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
People are going to get boned on it...

Ive heard that CARB has been collecting check sums of stock ECUs across manufacturers to place in a database, they can then check them against your car to see if it aligns.. So, Cobb AP, would fail..
Wow that sucks. I believe mine was also set to enable monitors on startup (my old '02 WRX, tuned at EQ). Would be interesting to know what a tech would see when they are connected.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:27 AM
Churro Aficionado

CA is trying harder and harder to kill the car culture

What I find hilarious is when Newsom signed all electric cars sold in CA by 2035.. We cant even sustain our current power grid. Saw an article last week (I think) that asked folks with EV to not charge them up in fear of overloading the grid during the heatwave lol.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:32 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

It was already implemented I believe.

I have to smog my car right now and the shop told me they would not put the tune back after smog because they can get fined. Sedan is on an open source tune, so I can go back to 100% stock easily, but the only way to re-tune is to buy an AP. Many tuners might not tune your car right now. AP can still work, but you need an OTS CA 91 map. Cobb is releasing CARB legal OTS maps just for CA as well. My hatch is on CA 91 stg 2.

If you look, most car manufacturers have already announced no more internal combustion engines by 2035 or sooner. Audi (which means much of VW can be expected to follow suit soon) and Volvo have already stated this. Volvo said 2025.

What's even worse is, if your ECU gets flagged, That ECU gets black listed. The ONLY way to pass after that is to go buy a new ECU.

Last edited by 04GG; 07-19-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:21 AM
Churro Aficionado

Yea that started last week I believe.

Easy for stage 2 stuff.. but big turbo, injectors, solely running E85.. cant throw a stock map on and run the car lol.

Quick Reply: What happened around here?