What happened around here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 12:52 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
That thing is crazy cool. I got to see the Levorg up close in Taiwan and Japan, basically that car just not diesel.

Last edited by 04GG; 03-10-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
mmmmm thats hot
Originally Posted by 04GG
That thing is crazy cool. I got to see the Levorg up close in Taiwan and Japan, basically that car just not diesel.
Thanks folks! I wanted one when I first heard about Subaru making a diesel. I still don't get why they don't have them in the US. Maybe emissions related.

I was sooo excited to check out the Levorg when I got here as well, but sort of deflated when I realized they were only available with a CVT. Here anyway. It's a nice car though and I do see them around a bit. It's a bit smaller than the Legacy - based on the Impreza. I think if it came in a manual, I would have definitely picked one up. I don't need all the space in the Legacy but it will be handy from time to time for sure. We took a couple road trips in the 2010 Legacy and it was great. I'm 6' and I can put the seat where it's comfy and still end up with a lot of room in back. Last one, we went to Denmark and it seems like people end up driving a lot faster there than here in Sweden, and it did just fine - still got around 40mpg fully loaded and cruising around 160km/h (around 100mph which is "arrest me speed" here in Sweden). Hoping to take this one to Germany this summer if travel becomes more possible.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:54 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Yea wish we got some of the cool diesel motors here in the states
Old 03-11-2021, 10:10 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
Yea wish we got some of the cool diesel motors here in the states
No doubt - they would be great in a lot of situations. Would be rad to have a diesel Forester to pull your car to the track go exploring or something!

Just not any 2009 or earlier. I have read about some various issues with those ones - things like crankshafts breaking and such. I would imagine there is a bit of a learning curve in making an aluminum diesel flat four though! The 2010 and above seem pretty reliable, aside from some issues with emissions garbage like EGR and the DPF (diesel particulate filter). MRT has some interesting vids on YouTube about this, as they do some specific services to combat the problems and also had a diesel Forester rally car for a while. From what I understand, this thing is a beast with some tuning and the EGR/DPF removed. Something like 200+hp and 400lb/ft around 3k rpm.

Another thing that trips me out is this thing starts instantly even like -10ºC out. The only other diesel I had before was a '90 Furd F350 and that thing needed to sit with glow plugs going and "Please Wait to Start" for a while before getting it started.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
40mpg!?!?! Would love that in a Legacy that size. Very cool rig. Love the black/black interior too. Thanks for sharing!

And yeah, the Levorg is Impreza based. Basically the current generation's Impreza hatchback. Still awesome, but Subaru's CVT sucks *****. They seriously need to address that ****.

-Brian
Old 03-12-2021, 11:54 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
40mpg!?!?! Would love that in a Legacy that size. Very cool rig. Love the black/black interior too. Thanks for sharing!

And yeah, the Levorg is Impreza based. Basically the current generation's Impreza hatchback. Still awesome, but Subaru's CVT sucks *****. They seriously need to address that ****.

-Brian
I recently read something about the Levorg getting WRX branding and being more sport oriented in the next model but I can't find it now. Hoping that implies a manual gearbox but from what the dealer told me, Subaru is not interesting in doing manual gearboxes any longer, and all cars in Sweden anyway need to be equipped with the Eye-Sight stuff which requires computer control of the gearbox on Subaru platforms. So it is not likely. Really sad because that car with a turbo 2.0 and a stick would be pretty much perfect.

I am super happy with the Legacy. I liked the 2010 too but I much prefer the blacked out interior. The whole center stack and everything being silver in the 2010 sort of makes the dash seem a lot bigger, or something - I don't know. I like it a lot. This model went until 2014 here, then it's the next gen which no longer offers a manual gearbox, and is Outback only like the US. The shifter takes some getting used to but from what I understand, if I can find the optional STi shifter for a 2010-2011 USDM Legacy 2.5GT, it will work, and greatly improves the experience. Those are hard to find these days but I will keep looking.

Trying to find more info on the "sport" package equipment but it is curiously difficult. Aside from the blacked out headlights and interior changes, it has a set of Bilstein struts/shocks on it which look stock. I have the full records since new and there is no mention of suspension work. As far as I know this was part of the package. I'll get it on a lift at the car wash in a week or so and look at it more closely. Now that is something I wish we had back home.

Have to admit I was pretty shocked when I first did the math on the fuel mileage. The computer shows it in "liters per 100km" - right now it's showing an average of 5.8 which is around 40mpg. That is after some shorter trips and romping through the back roads (got to make sure the AWD works and stuff) but on road trips the 2010 would be hovering between 4-4.5 which I think is close to 50mpg. Had to do some math myself because that did not make sense but it checks out. Supposedly this improves with a basic tune. So yeah, it is pretty amazing to me. My BRZ gets around half that which is almost as mind boggling.

Both diesel and gas are around $7/ gallon right now. It is getting harder and harder to find 98oct which the BRZ supposedly needs (more or less equal to around 91-92oct in CA). They just went crazy on the road taxes for diesel cars, I guess to encourage people to switch to electric or whatnot. My yearly tax for the Legacy is 2x what it was two years ago for the 2010 which is also the same as this 2013. It's around $420 a year. I test drove a Honda e last week and it's tax was around $40 (but with a MSRP of around $47k!!!). This is more or less equivalent to registration back home. We also have an inspection which is every year after the car is 3 years old which is around the same price. They put it on a lift and go all over it, then engage this "shaker" thing which abuses the suspension while they check for loose stuff and make sure nothing is about to fall off, then an emissions test. The salt and gravel in winter really messes with the cars, sadly. I need to get another set of mud flaps. I put a Rally Armor set on the BRZ and while it did not completely fix the problem, it helps a lot. The biggest issue with that car is that the front wheels are constantly chucking debris at the flared areas in front of the rear wheels, so that is now pretty messed up. I looked at it yesterday and there must be at least 20x rock chips there now, some showing metal. Gaaah.

Winter mode: Still snowing, so I am keeping these on for a bit (illegal to take them off until April 1 actually, but you only get in trouble if you crash, because Sweden?). 16" Subaru optional wheels w/ 205/60-16 Nokian Hakkapelliitta. I think I spelled that correctly. Hard to tell, Finnish always seems to look like someone had a seizure whilst typing...

Old 03-20-2021, 12:23 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by slugrx
another problem is most of the og's don't have their subies anymore, or are like me and it sits in the garage so im not very active with it anymore
Agreed, mine got way over done and basically was a weekend car or track car. Then I bought a truck to tow it to the track........... I sold the car and kept the truck lol.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:05 AM
Churro Aficionado

I think tomorrow is 1 year since I sold the STi
Still have the Trek tho
Old 03-22-2021, 11:40 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

My 04 Wagon has been at the dealer for over a month. They broke something when doing the airbag recall last year. They were able to partly fix it then, but the issue came back which means replacement time. Whatever it is, they cannot get the parts to fix it anymore. In the meantime, I've been driving a 2021 Outback loaner. No idea what is going to happen if they can't fix it.

I drive the STI more now, but that is still only a few times a week.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:31 PM

Car Info: 09 WRX
My 04 Wagon has been at the dealer for over a month. They broke something when doing the airbag recall last year. They were able to partly fix it then, but the issue came back which means replacement time. Whatever it is, they cannot get the parts to fix it anymore. In the meantime, I've been driving a 2021 Outback loaner. No idea what is going to happen if they can't fix it.

I drive the STI more now, but that is still only a few times a week.
oh man! i had heard stories about stuff breaking but mostly it was clips, panels and rattling dashes after when people got their cars back.
to make sure nothing broke in mine, when I brought my 05 LGT in for the recall I pulled out EVERYTHING for the techs. I wouldve done the air bag itself if they wouldve let me.
I dropped the car off with the dashboard gutted, barely held in. Less than an hour after dropping it off, they called me and told me it was ready for pick up and thanked me for "doing all the work".

What is happening with the car? what do they think is broke, whats the symptoms?
Old 03-22-2021, 09:56 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by Diavolo
oh man! i had heard stories about stuff breaking but mostly it was clips, panels and rattling dashes after when people got their cars back.
to make sure nothing broke in mine, when I brought my 05 LGT in for the recall I pulled out EVERYTHING for the techs. I wouldve done the air bag itself if they wouldve let me.
I dropped the car off with the dashboard gutted, barely held in. Less than an hour after dropping it off, they called me and told me it was ready for pick up and thanked me for "doing all the work".

What is happening with the car? what do they think is broke, whats the symptoms?
Seems to be damage to the harness and the harness is more or less impossible to get an OEM replacement. Basically, passenger airbag is not functional so they don't want to give it back until it is fixed.

My dash on my STI rattles now too after that (different dealer), but it isn't the only rattle lol.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:24 AM
Churro Aficionado

I still get all the mailed docs sent to the house stating there is the final recall for the STi airbag. Ive returned the letters saying i dont own the car. Ive called the number twice saying I dont own the car. I still get the letters -_-
Old 03-23-2021, 08:44 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Yeah, this was the second airbag recall they were doing when my issue happened.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:09 AM
Churro Aficionado

Yeah I got the first one taken care of when I had it. Started getting the mailers for the 2nd after I sold it, but even after telling them, I still get them.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:10 AM

Car Info: 09 WRX
oh wait, there was a second recall?!
i wonder if the current owner of my old legacy had to take it in again. i would gut the interior for him like i did for myself the first time if he has to.
surprised he didnt call me up, maybe i should find out if he needs any help. if it was recalled again its probably been dealt with already
Seems to be damage to the harness and the harness is more or less impossible to get an OEM replacement. Basically, passenger airbag is not functional so they don't want to give it back until it is fixed.

My dash on my STI rattles now too after that (different dealer), but it isn't the only rattle lol.
thats a shame if its a damaged harness. did they locate physical damage? that should be a simple repair someone could sign off on

Last edited by Diavolo; 03-25-2021 at 02:12 AM.

Quick Reply: What happened around here?